Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com reports that deals finalized in the past week delay the initial payment schedule. Instead of the first installment being due within 15 to 30 days after executing, the money is due roughly two months post-execution.

For example, the contract signed by defensive tackle Daron Payne provides, per Standing, for the first payment to be made by May 12, 2023. Quarterback Jacoby Brissett‘s contract also specifies that initial payment will be made by May 12.

This is a departure from the team’s past precedent. Given the circumstances, it suggests that someone else will be paying the signing bonuses.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

Well, that money includes no bonus/escrow and maybe this is an easier way to push money to new owner.  Idk if these guys get paid all year or in season only, but it's probably cheaper than signing a new guy to the equivalent per year level. 

The article doing the rounds today about our free agency contracts suggest payment dates have been pushed out a month or so. That by implication suggest Dan hasn’t really dictated spend levels as that months delays is pushing those payments out onto ‘new ownership’ in effect. Reads that way anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The article doing the rounds today about our free agency contracts suggest payment dates have been pushed out a month or so. That by implication suggest Dan hasn’t really dictated spend levels as that months delays is pushing those payments out onto ‘new ownership’ in effect. Reads that way anyway.

Yeah, I agree.   That's what it felt like and I think this is part of the "budgeting".  If it does point to sale, which I think it does, it's good news.  

Edit: I'm also saying that bonuses would limit signings, but I guess that's wrong if they're punting the pay date.

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Yeah, I agree.   That's what it felt like and I think this is part of the "budgeting".  If it does point to sale, which I think it does, it's good news.  

Edit: I'm also saying that bonuses would limit signings, but I guess that's wrong if they're punting the pay date.

Yep if everything point to the sale happening soon, that news tops everything.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Not good. Cooks is pretty underrated, IMO. Cooks and Lamb is gonna suck. 

Cooks is interesting, his stats are either right near 500 yards in a year or 1000+ seasons.  I think it's more injuries in the down years, but am not digging up the full history to check.   When he's on, he certainly can be a threat. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep if everything point to the sale happening soon, that news tops everything.

Because of this and other elements beyond the control of the front office this makes it very difficult to fully grade the teams free agent dealings. Though given what we know I feel they have done a pretty good job of things given the pending sale.

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Because of this and other elements beyond the control of the front office this makes it very difficult to fully grade the teams free agent dealings. Though given what we know I feel they have done a pretty good job of things given the pending sale.

I think we have done ‘alright’. Couple more positive moves needed for me, time yet though.

Texans extending OT Tunsil

Houston Texans left tackle Laremy Tunsil has reached his goal of becoming the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL. A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Tunsil has agreed to a three-year, $75 million extension with the Texans. The deal includes a $30 million signing bonus with $50 million fully guaranteed and $60 million in total guarantees, the source said.

Another good player who is unexpectedly still on the market.

Tight end - Dalton Schultz

Easily the best tight end available, specifically based on his pass-catching ability. Schultz has 135 catches (fourth among tight ends), 1,385 receiving yards (sixth), and 13 receiving touchdowns (fifth) over the last two years -- showcasing how good he's been as a pass catcher among his peers. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Another good player who is unexpectedly still on the market.

Tight end - Dalton Schultz

Easily the best tight end available, specifically based on his pass-catching ability. Schultz has 135 catches (fourth among tight ends), 1,385 receiving yards (sixth), and 13 receiving touchdowns (fifth) over the last two years -- showcasing how good he's been as a pass catcher among his peers. 

+1 - that would be a smart signing for a QB who needs all the options possible 

29 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

+1 - that would be a smart signing for a QB who needs all the options possible 

At Stanford when Tavita Prichard was there too I think. Was looking earlier. Not that it means anything but he may have an inside view.

Interesting that the Steelers signed Suemalo for similar numbers that we grabbed Wylie. I feel like Suemalo Is the better player at Guard and could have kept Cosmi at tackle but injuries to Cosmi have always been the biggest issue. Guess we will see. Perhaps Wylie fits what EB wants better. 

2 minutes ago, moondog said:

Interesting that the Steelers signed Suemalo for similar numbers that we grabbed Wylie. I feel like Suemalo Is the better player at Guard and could have kept Cosmi at tackle but injuries to Cosmi have always been the biggest issue. Guess we will see. Perhaps Wylie fits what EB wants better. 

Yeah if they are close you have to imagine EB would prefer a guy who has worked in his system and he knows character/teammate wise vs unknown. I’m still hoping we draft a OT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Not good. Cooks is pretty underrated, IMO. Cooks and Lamb is gonna suck. 

Meh. Cooks has been passed around more than my ex-girlfriend. Dude has been traded 5 times in his 7 year career.

Not worried about him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Meh. Cooks has been passed around more than my ex-girlfriend. Dude has been traded 5 times in his 7 year career.

Not worried about him.

Yeah but you must admit, she...I mean he us pretty freaking good 😉

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moondog said:

58 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Not worried about him.

Agree....Dak will find a way to miss him and hit the wrong color jersey. 

So NE dumped Jonnu Smith and his contract, got a draft pick back in the process, then gave Gesicki approximately half as much cash on a one year deal. Nice work.

Terms of new New England Patriots' tight end Mike Gesicki's one-year deal have emerged, via the Boston Globe. His contract is worth $4.5 million in base value with $3.55 million of it fully guaranteed. Gesicki can double that number and make $9 million in total in 2023 if he hits all of his incentives. A team-friendly deal overall.