Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Just now, KDawg said:

I’m basing it on total spending (perceived, no math involved) on the position during this regimes tenure. 

Just seems like there is a resource budget on ILB.

Which also makes it a very realistic position to see drafted.

Makes it hard to see Kam Curl getting a long term deal off this FO too, based on the same principle. That may become apparent in the draft too....

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bengals LT Jonah Williams has requested a trade.

The trade request comes after the Bengals signed LT Orlando Brown in free agency. Williams, a three-year starter, would likely have to move to right tackle if he stays with the Bengals. Trading Williams, who's in the final year of his contract, may be inevitable with Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins all needing extensions. Williams would become one of the top tackles available if shopped.

I'm surprised that many people think highly of Cooper Rush. Every time I see him play, they break out the 6 or 7 O-Line formation. Maybe that's just the Cowboys being unique, but I've always taken it as "You know we don't trust Cooper to throw and we're tired of pretending that we do".

For that matter, I'm a little surprised Cooper didn't follow Kellen Moore to San Diego. I figured he was Kellen's pet more than McCarthy's.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Sure that makes sense 🙄

We actually play a lot with 5 DL. Heard one of the beat guys say this AM that of the 900+ defensive snaps for the defense, they used 3 LBs only 4 (four) times last year. I figured it was because they didn't have a real ILB who could do it, and the Buffalo Nickle replaced it. But, don't know. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Seems to me like they have the cap budgeted out by position.

And they have a very large chunk to the DL. 

And a very small chunk to backers. Obviously numbers of players in those positions effects that, but I’m talking $/player.

Good listen here from Keim about their plan and something along the lines of your convo -

• Mention they are probably done with this wave of FA and maybe something 3rd wave with guys cut, sometimes guys still sitting after draft, etc
  • He brought up McKinnon again but might not be in the right $$ range
  • Keeps bringing up Tranquil, position versatility (SAM), also a buffalo nickel in the jumbo packages.  Again might be pushed out because of $$ but could be a down the road guy if he doesn't get signed because they're up against the cap
  • Talked about restructuring and not sure of their desire to do that but cutting Roullier would save $4mil.  Keim thinks if he gets cut they'd try to bring him back with a paycut
  • They think L. Thomas came back too early and towards the end of the season got better.  Doesn't think they will cut him but he could be a restructure if he appears back to himself.  They are intrigued by their TE room
  • He mentioned Payne's LTD gave them the ability to sign Brissett
  • They want to keep Curl and Sweat but those are likely spring considerations.  He said everything they've done so far does look forward to those 2 contracts

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

I should have been clear. It does make sense. 

I was being sarcastic about MartinC always needing to use logic to argue his opinion. No way either of you would have know that, though.

I see that now 🙄  (im doing it again) 

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Sure that makes sense 🙄

Thats an actual thing that we transitioned to last season. Partly driven by the injury to Holcomb. Like just about all NFL defenses we were in nickel as our base formation (over 2/3rd of snaps). Our nickel developed so that it was almost always 4 DL, 1LB a safety in the box were the 2nd LB would normally be (so called Buffalo safety)  and then a mix behind that of 5 DBs. We played 5 DL on occasions. 

Off the ball linebacker is just not a position that is valued league wide unless its someone who is an athletic freak. The whole position is evolving.

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

I was being sarcastic about MartinC always needing to use logic to argue his opinion. No way either of you would have know that, though.

Something my wife has been known to remark on ...

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I'm surprised that many people think highly of Cooper Rush. Every time I see him play, they break out the 6 or 7 O-Line formation. Maybe that's just the Cowboys being unique, but I've always taken it as "You know we don't trust Cooper to throw and we're tired of pretending that we do".

For that matter, I'm a little surprised Cooper didn't follow Kellen Moore to San Diego. I figured he was Kellen's pet more than McCarthy's.

He beat us and looked decent doing so. For many of us thats about the most we have seen of him apart from the odd highlight reel - it colors opinions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:
  • Mention they are probably done with this wave of FA and maybe something 3rd wave with guys cut, sometimes guys still sitting after draft, etc
  • He brought up McKinnon again but might not be in the right $$ range
  • Keeps bringing up Tranquil, position versatility (SAM), also a buffalo nickel in the jumbo packages.  Again might be pushed out because of $$ but could be a down the road guy if he doesn't get signed because they're up against the cap
  • Talked about restructuring and not sure of their desire to do that but cutting Roullier would save $4mil.  Keim thinks if he gets cut they'd try to bring him back with a paycut
  • They think L. Thomas came back too early and towards the end of the season got better.  Doesn't think they will cut him but he could be a restructure if he appears back to himself.  They are intrigued by their TE room
  • He mentioned Payne's LTD gave them the ability to sign Brissett
  • They want to keep Curl and Sweat but those are likely spring considerations.  He said everything they've done so far does look forward to those 2 contracts

Firstly, I’d say all of that is very logical and ‘sensible’.

Secondly, I’d say that is a bit too conservative for my liking. In fact I think it is WAY to conservative.

We should not be second guessing on a player like Tranquil who will clearly improve the roster. I’m sure he’s not asking for a fully guaranteed 30mil deal.

Everything should not look forward to the Curl and Sweat contract. Should it ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Secondly, I’d say that is a bit too conservative for my liking. In fact I think it is WAY to conservative.

We should not be second guessing on a player like Tranquil who will clearly improve the roster. I’m sure he’s not asking for a fully guaranteed 30mil deal.

Agree very logical and sensible but this has been a staff that operates that way.  We'll see with the Tranquil thing, they are up against the cap right now.  Take a listen to what Keim said about Curl and Sweat, it's managing their cap structure to be able to try and sign those guys.  He wasn't saying that would happen but it at least would be doable because of the way they're managing things.  Also said the staff is typically looking and doing these resigns in the spring.  He didn't say this spring or next but I was assuming it was next.

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Tricky to answer IMO.  I think it’s smart to be looking to the future - as RR has put it - sustainability.  It’s generally good to take care of your quality homegrown guys vs chasing FAs too.  

It’s a pretty serious balancing act addressing 1) filling holes to reduce need in the draft, 2) finding clear upgrades, 3) improving depth, 4) upping competition level at each position (this ties into #4 of course), 5) planning for future FA contracts, 6) succession planning, and 7) keeping your own quality FAs.  

I think they’ve done a nice job at basically everything but #2 - finding clear upgrades.  And of course, we have to factor in the Snyder effect to this one, so I have trouble attributing too much blame here.  I can appreciate that us fans will have varying opinions of moves they’ve made, or not made, but I also think it’s pretty fair to say they’ve overall acted “competently”.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Drue gone I would expect us to draft a ILB and CB especially if we can't get one during FA.  Even though we picked the player CB from Miss St. along with OL and QB then more depth. 

1 hour ago, illone said:

I remember during the Gibbs2 campaign this team NEVER addressed the Dline…

Didn't we pay big money to Cornelius Griffin during Gibbs2?

I know we almost never drafted IDL from like 2000-2016. Something like 3 total players. Wasn't until 2017 where we were suddenly thinking the trenches were a good idea.

• Like 1

What’s the current consensus relating to Washington being cash strapped this off season? 

Then we learned escrow doesn’t count until the following year, is Washington all clear there now? 

I own it doesn’t appear they are operating any differently than in years past, just curious if some continue to feel this way or those concerns have subsided?

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

What’s the current consensus relating to Washington being cash strapped this off season? 

Then we learned escrow doesn’t count until the following year, is Washington all clear there now? 

I own it doesn’t appear they are operating any differently than in years past, just curious if some continue to feel this way or those concerns have subsided?

I think it not counting until next year means that we are not going to be afraid to offer guaranteed money (hence the Payne deal).  That said, due to our salary cap position, we are not really in a position to go after a big splashy move

1 hour ago, CommDownMan said:

Do we do more snaps with more DL because that's the D strategy or do we have to because we don't sign linebackers and force the situation.

image.png.533e1a969b4c9653dcea5e4f540eb4b3.png

edit: less ridiculous sized face...

Big nickel and the evolution of the off the ball linebacker is a thing league wide.

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bengals LT Jonah Williams has requested a trade.

The trade request comes after the Bengals signed LT Orlando Brown in free agency. Williams, a three-year starter, would likely have to move to right tackle if he stays with the Bengals. Trading Williams, who's in the final year of his contract, may be inevitable with Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins all needing extensions. Williams would become one of the top tackles available if shopped.

The Bengals O-Line sucks donkey balls.   Why would we want that here?  

4 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

The Bengals O-Line sucks donkey balls.   Why would we want that here?  

Not all directed towards you…

Pay other’s elite talent when opportunity and situation lines up, your own elite talent and some of the time you’re good to great talent. 

Absolutely hate paying other teams’s pretty good talent, you just don’t know enough about them to commit big money.

I dislike playing out a lot of money to the Oline anyways, too much opportunity to fill out a cost effective unit. Unless it’s Hall of Fame type talent like Trent Williams or the like (exceptions).