Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's 100% a scam, yet still accepted by society?

Spaceman Spiff

On 1/12/2023 at 4:04 PM, purbeast said:

Having to "do" your taxes.  It's a stupid ****ing game the government plays that is completely unnecessary.

"You made $X and we know exactly how much money you should have paid us, but we're going to make you do a bunch of stupid **** to try and calculate exactly how much you should have paid us, and if you didn't pay us enough, you better pay us the money or you are ****ed!  And if you miscalculate the amount of money you owe use that we know you owe, we aren't going to tell you and instead you are going to be penalized and owe us even more money.  But oh, if we **** up on our end, you will have to wait years to get it resolved.  Enjoy!"

EDIT:

Also speed cameras.  **** those things.  

EDIT 2:

Toll roads.  I understand they may need extra money to build em, but at some point that money should have been made back.

Remember when the Grand Oligarch’s Party was all about a flat tax?

sofakingdoge.gif

Funny how that seemed to fall by the wayside as the number of deductions and carve outs for special interests ballooned.

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

Oh one more, related to my previous post.

Cards

Like the kind you buy on those said holidays and birthdays.  What a god damn scam industry that is.  I tell my family not to buy me cards because it's a waste of money.  You feel bad throwing them away because someone bought them for you.  So you probably toss them in a drawer never to be seen again.  But then you have so many of them they just start taking up space.

Well I can tell you that I do NOT feel bad throwing cards away.  If/When I get em, they are usually in the trashcan by the end of the day.  Sorry you wasted $7 on a card for me you idiot.  Yeah, the cost of them has gone up TREMENDOUSLY as well.  

I make my kids make cards for people when they go to birthday parties.

The problem is, I will still buy cards for things like weddings since I can't just toss a check into the gift box.

God damn scam...

I guess you ignored the stuff the three spirits showed you last Xmas.

• Haha 3

On 1/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, Corcaigh said:

Nothing wrong with fun, but why merge the most momentous occasion - your saviors birth - with a pagan festival. 

It wasn’t merged so much as pieces borrowed at various times and places over a very long time.  It’s weird that people take issue with it because it’s a fairly enlightened way of doing things, when you consider the time periods.  How many religions today seem willing to change their own traditions to accommodate the culture of converts?

christianity has been greatly influenced by many things outside of itself over the millennia.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, redskinss said:

College textbooks!

Cost or value?

I agree some folks have pretty valid complaints when it comes to how much they were charged, I didn't go through that, but them being IT books, even though I've kept all of them a lot of them are quickly becoming outdated.

At the time, reading them made huge difference I believe in where I got in my career versus jus passing the class.  Stuff that didn't make sense first time I read it made more once I finally saw it versus being alien.

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Cigarettes. 

I'd still be smoking menthol right now if they weren't so damn bad for me, and I'm not buying there's any attempt to address all the additives that have been added throughout the years...more balancing and maintaining the tax revenue...😒

59 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I told a guy at work that I can't work on Saturdays because it's against my religion to do so. He asked me what religion that was. I told him it was against my religion to say what my religion is.

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

Check the SCOTUS thread.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Cost or value?

I agree some folks have pretty valid complaints when it comes to how much they were charged, I didn't go through that, but them being IT books, even though I've kept all of them a lot of them are quickly becoming outdated.

At the time, reading them made huge difference I believe in where I got in my career versus jus passing the class.  Stuff that didn't make sense first time I read it made more once I finally saw it versus being alien.

The fact that they're constantly changing a few words or paragraphs and making students buy all new books at 300 bucks a pop instead of being able to buy used books.

It's a racket.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Cigarettes. 

I'd like to know more about your view on how cigarettes are a scam.  Seems pretty honest to me.  Pay a few bucks for a pack, ignore the warning label even though everyone knows they cause cancer, puff a lot, get cancer.  

Granted, I don't like smoking cigarettes but I don't see how they're a scam.  I don't see anyone running around saying they're good for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

The fact that they're constantly changing a few words or paragraphs and making students buy all new books at 300 bucks a pop instead of being able to buy used books.

It's a racket.

A favorite of theirs is to change the numbers in math/engineering textbook homework problems.

• Like 2