Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's 100% a scam, yet still accepted by society?

Spaceman Spiff

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Historical Jesus (Jeshua, actually), to the best of our knowledge, was born in the Spring, not Winter.  The Christians decided it would be easier to convert pagans by usurping one of their holidays, so they took Saturnalia and made it about Jesus instead, thus Christmas is a Winter holiday.  Songs, feasts, giving of gifts, and hanging of wreaths were all artifacts of Saturnalia.

That is all irrelevant. Original religious meaning is still the original religious meaning if it is the only religious meaning.

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Oh one more, related to my previous post.

The problem is, I will still buy cards for things like weddings since I can't just toss a check into the gift box.

God damn scam...

Don't attend, mail the card/check, USPS needs the coin. 

Win win. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That is all irrelevant. Original religious meaning is still the original religious meaning if it is the only religious meaning.

I'm trying to figure out if you are actually trying to say that the real purpose of Christmas is to worship Saturn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Cards

Yeah, I barely even look at store-bought cards we receive that have no more than the senders name in it. Such a waste. If there’s a personal note in it it’s entirely different.

As a youth sports coach I loved it when team

members would write one thing on an end of season card that they learned or enjoyed about the season, and some of those and the memories they trigger are priceless.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

i dunno. We know a couple of Christian families who take no part in the timing of Christmas as they know it’s not true. I can understand that mindset, as if you are defining your life by some fundamental spiritual beliefs but ignore actual historical facts related to these beliefs, where else do you compromise on truth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corcaigh said:

i dunno. We know a couple of Christian families who take no part in the timing of Christmas as they know it’s not true. I can understand that mindset, as if you are defining your life by some fundamental spiritual beliefs but ignore actual historical facts related to these beliefs, where else do you compromise on truth.

No fun committee smh..

I’ll throw out a new one: elementary school age kids birthday parties 

You’re telling me parents actually routinely invite entire ****ing classes full of kids to their kid’s birthday party at the Bounce house or Chuck E. Cheese or whatever? And there other 18 kids in this class so we’re averaging about one party per month (and I have three children wtf am I going to do in a couple years when they’re all in school). 

oh and of course my kid now wants to have his own party this year after having so much fun at his friends parties, and his friends are too young to just be dropped off at our house so we have to accommodate 8 friends (his closest) plus their parents oh and still separately host a damn party for family members. Kids turning 7 and we’re gonna be out close to a grand for all the **** we’re doing. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Nothing wrong with fun, but why merge the most momentous occasion - your saviors birth - with a pagan festival. 

For certain Christians the answer is easy - because their Church says so.

This is a bit of a threadjack, but if you want to go down that road with Christianity, you are opening up a real pandora's box.

Gain scent beads.  

But dryer sheets are not a scam.  I forgot on one load and had static from hell.  

4 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

I’ll throw out a new one: elementary school age kids birthday parties 

You’re telling me parents actually routinely invite entire ****ing classes full of kids to their kid’s birthday party at the Bounce house or Chuck E. Cheese or whatever? And there other 18 kids in this class so we’re averaging about one party per month (and I have three children wtf am I going to do in a couple years when they’re all in school). 

oh and of course my kid now wants to have his own party this year after having so much fun at his friends parties, and his friends are too young to just be dropped off at our house so we have to accommodate 8 friends (his closest) plus their parents oh and still separately host a damn party for family members. Kids turning 7 and we’re gonna be out close to a grand for all the **** we’re doing. 

My grandson's first birthday was like this...first.  Ridiculous.  I had to work, but watched the video.  Must've been a dozen older couples salsa dancing.  I was like, "Whose party was this again?!?" 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1