Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Commander PK said:

THIS right here, gets to the heart of the issue.  For most, not all, but most.

Maybe 20% tops will never be happy with anything other than Redskins. 

The other 80% could part with it much easier if it was a great name and rebrand. Getting all 80% to agree on what that would be is nearly impossible.

But between keeping it WFT or Red Wolves - the top 2 choices in every poll - I’m absolutely positive it would have been welcomed by most. It was making the best out of a difficult situation.

Instead, Snyder abandoned most of his remaining market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

But between keeping it WFT or Red Wolves - the top 2 choices in every poll - I’m absolutely positive it would have been welcomed by most. It was making the best out of a difficult situation.

Yeah, WFT was my #1 choice. It was unique in the NFL. I think the best part was that it tied the team closer to the city instead of some abstract mascot.

The weird thing is our uniforms match a WFT theme better than a “Commanders” theme. Our logo is a “W” and our colors are burgundy and gold. There’s nothing about the uniforms that would give me a clue that we’re the Commanders. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Maybe 20% tops will never be happy with anything other than Redskins. 

The other 80% could part with it much easier if it was a great name and rebrand. Getting all 80% to agree on what that would be is nearly impossible.

Maybe you are right, but I don’t think we ever get the chance to find out.  Truth is Commanders gear is selling, and in time I think people will be used to it.  We are already seeing it happen.  For me, WFT was a non-starter, and Red Wolves is owned by somebody else, aside from the well documented fact that I personally didn’t care for that name.  Maybe they could have made some kind of agreement with Arkansas State, but I think they wanted a name they had exclusive rights to.  Takes a lot of money to make this machine run.  I truly believe in 10 years or less the fan base, those of us that remain, and those that have joined up will be totally used to Commanders.  The more they win the more people will forget about how much they hated the name at first.   

On 6/20/21 FootballZombie said

Washington Football Team Est 1932" does not offer dominion over "Washington Football Team"... It would be a near worthless trademark. 

"Washington Football Team" is the one that is needed.

I would not put money on the acceptance outcome.

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Notice of Allowance (NOA) sent (issued) to the applicant. Applicant must file a Statement of Use or Extension Request within six months of the NOA issuance date.

Yep.

You nailed it.

:rofl89:

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Lots of groups and people said they were interested in buying the team a month ago.

But since then, nothing more has come out of this. This is sad.

I think there will be confidentiality issues knocking around keeping the ongoing process largely out of the public domain right now.

• Like 1

Here's something to ponder:

Much has been made about the Commanders name, a new rebrand, etc.  And since it's Wednesday and it's a relatively slow week leading up to the Giants game, I've been thinking about the discussion we've had on here about a possible re-brand.

One thing I've seen the Commanders name compared to is the Wizards.  I've seen people say that they hated the Wizards name when it was first debuted, now they've just come to tolerate it, feel indifferent about it...it is what it is.  There was a "getting used to it" stage and then, like, a stage of acceptance.  I've yet to hear anyone come out and say they LOVE the Wizards name. 

Not to steer this to a basketball thread, but to illustrate a larger point; would any of you care if the Wizards changed their name?  Obviously a large part of that would revolve around what they'd be changing their name to, but for arguments sake let's just leave it at Leonsis is going to change the Wizards name and do a re-brand.  This isn't about what he would change the name to, or if he'd go back to the Bullets or something, so we're not, I repeat NOT going to start kicking around new basketball team names here.  

How many of you would be upset?  Would anyone REALLY care about the Wizards name, logo, brand going away?

If you say you wouldn't be upset about a Wizards re-brand but want to keep the Commanders ****, you've got some explaining to do.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Commander PK said:

Maybe you are right, but I don’t think we ever get the chance to find out.  Truth is Commanders gear is selling, and in time I think people will be used to it.  We are already seeing it happen.  For me, WFT was a non-starter, and Red Wolves is owned by somebody else, aside from the well documented fact that I personally didn’t care for that name.  Maybe they could have made some kind of agreement with Arkansas State, but I think they wanted a name they had exclusive rights to.  Takes a lot of money to make this machine run.  I truly believe in 10 years or less the fan base, those of us that remain, and those that have joined up will be totally used to Commanders.  The more they win the more people will forget about how much they hated the name at first.   

I’ll start with Snyder selling the team. Changing the name is icing on the cake. If it happens, that’s an ideal outcome. If it doesn’t, I understand and we all move on.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I’ll start with Snyder selling the team. Changing the name is icing on the cake. If it happens, that’s an ideal outcome. If it doesn’t, I understand and we all move on.

This is where I’m at. Seems absolutely pointless to discuss (far past the usual level of pointless message board discussion) until we have both a new owner, and a clue from that owner that another rebrand is even under consideration. Until then it’s all just hot air on a topic that NO ONE agrees on. Can’t think of a more useless thing to discuss now that we all know where we all stand. Now it’s gotta play out, and there are no points to be won and no arguments to be made until we even know if it’s a realistic conversation. Wish we could all agree to put it on the back burner and let it simmer until it matters (or doesn’t). 

Edited by Conn

10 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is where I’m at. Seems absolutely pointless to discuss (far past the usual level of pointless message board discussion) until we have both a new owner, and a clue from that owner that another rebrand is even under consideration. Until then it’s all just hot air on a topic that NO ONE agrees on. Can’t think of a more useless thing to discuss now that we all know where we all stand. Now it’s gotta play out, and there are no points to be won and no arguments to be made until we even know if it’s a realistic conversation. Wish we could all agree to put it on the back burner and let it simmer until it matters (or doesn’t). 

What I’ve had to learn is that people need to express, to be heard and acknowledged. Sometimes, it’s not at all about the message/content. It’s about connection/community. Regardless of the validity of the expression… this community is an outlet. 😊 I’d rather ppl post pointless stuff than release anger/vitriol. But those ppl need a release too…. and it’s too convenient to unload on relative strangers concealed in anonymity.

• Like 1

My Grandma used to say that if you have a dream about something that's going to occur in the future it won't happen if you tell someone about it.

I'm going to put that theory to the test.

Last night I had something between a wonderful dream and a horrible nightmare.

I was at the red cross trying to hawk my blood for beer money (fyi that's not the nightmare part I call that a slow Tuesday) and after getting kicked out I absently glanced at a newspaper that was in the gutter.

The above the fold headline read: "Commanders Demolish Cowboys in NFC Championship Game and Advance to Super Bowl!"

Yessss, I thought, then I flipped over the paper and...

Beneath it is another story in small print with a picture of Dan with horns on his head and a leather clad Tanya kissing beneath the headline: "Snyder To Keep Team Forever...ha ha ha!" to be continued in obituary section.

Then I woke up gasping for air...

"Say it ain't so!"

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

2 hours ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Yeah I do feel like all that momentum, at least externally, has died down.

This is part of the process. My guess is all buyers are now under some sort of confidentiality and are parsing thru the data before first round of bids. 

@Cooleyfan1993 confirmed his dad has a call lined up with Bezos on what to expect when dealing with Snyder in this process

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I remain baffled at the support for The Washington Football  Team. That is not a name guys  It is literally not a name at all.  Given the choice I'll get used to Commanders before I ever support Football Team.  

I actually liked Football Team because it was a big **** you to the NFL while also highlighting the political correctness of our times.

I personally feel that name change to Commanders is better than Bullets/Wizards name change but that’s not really saying much…

• Like 1

This is just my opinion, but I whole-heartedly believe that Skipper Dan chose "Commanders" because he envisioned himself as the Commander of the team, and thus named the team after himself in a weird ego way.

200.gif

the king GIF

This name will always carry the stench of him, to me.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I remain baffled at the support for The Washington Football  Team. That is not a name guys  It is literally not a name at all.  Given the choice I'll get used to Commanders before I ever support Football Team.  

WFT was such a weird ****ization of what you see in soccer with F.C. added to the city name of the team. 

It didn't really make sense for an NFL team, but it was still 1000x better than Com***ders. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I've still got serious unresolved questions about the left hand up thing. If I break my left arm and can't lift my left hand because it's in a sling, am I not a Commander anymore? Do they confiscate my fan card and give it back to me when I heal?

What if I lose my hand in a boating accident? Can I only be a Commander again if I get a prosthetic?

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

How many of you would be upset?  Would anyone REALLY care about the Wizards name, logo, brand going away?

Interesting question.

I don't think I'd be very upset. I'd probably be a good bit pumped. Always thought the name was dumb and just the chance of moving on to something better would infuse some excitement.

On the flip side, I'd want to keep the Caps name. I'd be bummed if they got up one day and chose to do a full rebrand.

So yeah, If you give me the oppo to move on from names that are universally at the low end of the spectrum like Commanders and Wizards, sign me up. If you have a name like Capitals, I'd want it to stay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If you say you wouldn't be upset about a Wizards re-brand but want to keep the Commanders ****, you've got some explaining to do.

Commanders is not the name I would have chosen.  I wanted Warriors and was very hopeful that is the route they would go.  As many people were crushed when Red Wolves was eliminated, I was crushed when the team revealed that they could not make that one happen as well. (Even prior to eliminating Red Wolves)  Initially, I was not thrilled with the final choice, and was vocal here about my dislike.  I didn't like the short could be "Commies" in the Nation's Capital.  In the intervening months, I tried to get on board as much as I could, and now I dare say that the name has grown on me and I actually do like the name Commanders now.  For one, it's safe.  What some people call bland and non-specific, I call safe, and safe is good for an NFL team.  (I won't step further into this territory here).  I like the non-literal tie in to the Military and the Presidency.  I like the W logo a lot, and I like the Black Jerseys, although I would have made the inner color of the number's burgundy and the outline gold.  I like the new Burgundy jerseys a little less, but that is the first one I chose to buy.  The White...ehh.  I'm more or less indifferent to them now, but I won't be buying one of those.  I have pointed this out before, and I have to agree with them, the team said the more they went over the available choices this one just seemed to "fit."  I do think this name fits the Nation's Capital.  Put simply, I get it.  

By way of comparison, Wizards has never grown on me, although I do like the branding they are doing now as opposed to the Wizard performing a layup logo they initially had.  I still think Wizards is the dumbest name in D.C. Sports, and it's not even close.  What sense does "Wizards" make for Washington D.C?                  

• Like 2