Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I think most everyone gets that. The discussion is more because the current driver of the car stopped at a goofy McDonald’s because he didn’t want to spend money on a nice steakhouse. Or he didn’t know how to get there.

The question is will the next driver stick with the re-heated fast food or will he try to find something better?

And when he finds something he deems better, half the fanbase will say it's not better and complain about that and ask for another re-brand. It's silly.

We are the Commanders until otherwise noted.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Wolves alone is undoable because of the TimberWolves trademark

How do the San Francisco giants and New York giants coexist then?

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I get the emotional damage Dan has done to the fanbase, but the name just isn't really that bad.  It's an emotional response to Dan, not a response to the actual name. Which I totally get.

This is an opinion and one I adamantly disagree with.

The name commanders is awful, it will always be awful and maybe some day the general public will be used to it (like packers) but I'd imagine I'll be long gone by then.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

And when he finds something he deems better, half the fanbase will say it's not better and complain about that and ask for another re-brand. It's silly.

I disagree, I think most people know a quality effort/product when they see it. Right now most people do not think what we have is high quality, and there is a good chance that new ownership will produce something better. 

You are right about that, we are the Commanders under Dan Snyder until otherwise noted. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Half the fan base?? C’mon man, pretty much everyone has said they would like anything else better when the new owner takes over. At that point, defending the name Commanders will be akin to defending Snyder himself. Good luck with that, I seriously doubt anywhere near 50% will agree with you. And people are not going to keep demanding name changes over and over again. One more change, to exterminate the last vestiges of Snyder and then we are done.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Half the fan base?? C’mon man, pretty much everyone has said they would like anything else better when the new owner takes over. At that point, defending the name Commanders will be akin to defending Snyder himself. Good luck with that, I seriously doubt anywhere near 50% will agree with you. And people are not going to keep demanding name changes over and over again. One more change, to exterminate the last vestiges of Snyder and then we are done.

Outside of this site it appears that most people like the name, are buying gear with the name, and the rebrand from the outside is considered a success. Extreme fans, like those of us on here, don't even make up half the fan base. Most people are fine/have adjusted to the name and aren't going to be hammering for another change. In fact I would say most people would roll their eyes a out changing the name again and all of their gear they just spent money on now being out of date. 

7 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Outside of this site it appears that most people like the name, are buying gear with the name, and the rebrand from the outside is considered a success. Extreme fans, like those of us on here, don't even make up half the fan base. Most people are fine/have adjusted to the name and aren't going to be hammering for another change. In fact I would say most people would roll their eyes a out changing the name again and all of their gear they just spent money on now being out of date. 

OK fair enough. It’s not like I’ve been to a game lately, so I’ll take your word for it. I suppose we are stuck with the name, but then again the only one who’s opinion really matters is whoever buys the team.

• Like 1

I don’t really like the name Commanders, but it’s a fact that generally - pro team names are pretty generic and terrible across the board.

Beyond that, there’s a lot of words like most, everyone, etc. being thrown around about the opinions on the name.  I don’t think there is a name that most, everyone, or most everyone can settle on that will make the masses happy.

I totally get the name, the uniforms and all that having an attachment to Dan that makes them unlikeable on GP.  I recall making the statement that it would be just our luck that Dan would sell after tarnishing the teams legacy with a new name, logos and uniforms.  At the time, I didn’t realize how realistic that was.

But it is what it is, they can call us whatever the hell they want so long as Dan is no longer the owner.  I trust whomever is granted the next ownership of this franchise to brand the team in a much more attractive way than Snyder, no matter the team name.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Until the name is “Amazons” and then you’ll complain about that, too.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

The name commanders is awful, it will always be awful and maybe some day the general public will be used to it (like packers) but I'd imagine I'll be long gone by then.

There really isn't a reason to re-litigate this.  I really, honestly don't care what the name of the team is.  I just find the hatred of a "fine" name bizarre.  

And, I think you're already seeing signs of acceptance, if you care to pay attention.  Gear is actually moving, people are starting to refer to them as their new name, and if they pull off the impossible and win a few more games, it's going to become part of the lexicon sooner than you think.

There will be those "get off my lawn" types who were never going to be, and will never be happy, and that's fine.  But I think in a couple of years even that crowd will dwindle...

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd be fine with that if we had Amazons as our mascots...

CrossFit Athlete Brooke Ence on How She Landed a Role as an Amazon Warrior  in Wonder Woman and the Unusual Way She Spends "Me Time" - Parade:  Entertainment, Recipes, Health, Life, Holidays

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was going to like this, but then I noticed you called him Mister…

It's sarcasm. I either go with the sarcastic "Mr. Snyder" or daniel (no capital D) when referring to the dweeb. Silly, I know but it makes me feel good 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

There is nothing better.  That's the problem.  The only thing "better" is going back to Redskins and that's never going to happen. 

There is a vocal group who will never let go of Red Wolves.  But, honestly, that's just never going to happen with any new owner.  It's not a "timeless" name, it will age badly.  Timeless names are basically boring and mundane.  So, let's take Red Wolves off the table for the sake of argument.

What's better that a majority of fans are going to agree with?  The answer is nothing.

So the new owner will be asked to spend MILLIONS of dollars to come up with another brand/name that everybody is going to **** on.  And when they decide it's not Red Wolves, the Red Wolve fetishists will then come out and howl about how the new owner is just as stupid as the old owner.

When the new name is announced, and it would almost certainly be something bland and vanilla like Commanders, everybody is going to say "we went through all this again and you came up with that?"

The path of least resistance for a new owner is just to "clean up" the look and feel of Commanders.  

But here's the thing, we're massively putting the cart before the horse.

Step one is getting Dan gone.  The hope for that is March.  I'm still holding firm to that timeline, and I still think it gets done.  But all of the name conversation is pointless until we know who the next owner is and they make some decision on what they want to do.

I DO, however, think Brand Value is going to be a HUGE component of the valuation of the team.  So the new ownership group will know right away what they want to do. We might not hear about it for a while, but they will know, because they will do market studies and other things as part of diligence to determine if the name is truly an impediment to financial success (hint: it's not) but they will evaluate it.  If they deem the name/brand is weak, they will factor that into the deal thesis, and will effect the bids. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But here's the thing, we're massively putting the cart before the horse.

Thank you. There are about 1500 items on the list of things to un**** once Snyder is gone. #1-#500 on that list can be summer up as "not being a complete dumpster fire of an organization from top to bottom."

#501-#1499 are getting a new stadium and having a game day experience that isn't the worst in the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I've already said it, but Amazons wouldn't be that bad of a name.

As long as Jeff Bezos isn't the owner.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What's better that a majority of fans are going to agree with?  The answer is nothing.

More than likely, but I believe anything that is hog related would get little reject from the fanbase.

And honestly, if Dan sold before the rebrand and the new owner made the team be "Commanders" it would have received less of a backlash.

Problem of the Commanders nickname, is that it's Dan Snyder's name.

5 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

@Voice_of_Reason care for a friendly wager?  I just find your take fascinating and I think there's a less than <.00001% chance that the new ownership DOESN'T rebrand within 2-3 years of acquiring the team. 

I wish I was as confident as you are, but I think your “side” is much riskier. When in the history of sports has a team ever changed names so frequently. I get it’s kind of an unprecedented situation, but it feels very unrealistic to me that there will be FOUR names in 5-6 years. No way. Fans have bought merch (for some reason). A new owner isn’t gonna immediately spit in those peoples’ faces. What the new owner will likely do is try to make the Commanders brand their own, within the limitations of that name. Re-do the uniforms, logo, etc. 

13 minutes ago, Conn said:

I wish I was as confident as you are, but I think your “side” is much riskier. When in the history of sports has a team ever changed names so frequently. I get it’s kind of an unprecedented situation, but it feels very unrealistic to me that there will be FOUR names in 5-6 years. No way. Fans have bought merch (for some reason). A new owner isn’t gonna immediately spit in those peoples’ faces. What the new owner will likely do is try to make the Commanders brand their own, within the limitations of that name. Re-do the uniforms, logo, etc. 

I hear ya, and the beauty is we'll find out.  I think the Commanders gear will become collector items for the 2-3 years they lived and immediately become a thing of the past. 

9 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I hear ya, and the beauty is we'll find out.  I think the Commanders gear will become collector items for the 2-3 years they lived and immediately become a thing of the past. 

I hope very badly that you’re right! 

• Like 1