Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

Commanders is not the name I would have chosen.  I wanted Warriors and was very hopeful that is the route they would go.  As many people were crushed when Red Wolves was eliminated, I was crushed when the team revealed that they could not make that one happen as well. (Even prior to eliminating Red Wolves)  Initially, I was not thrilled with the final choice, and was vocal here about my dislike.  I didn't like the short could be "Commies" in the Nation's Capital.  In the intervening months, I tried to get on board as much as I could, and now I dare say that the name has grown on me and I actually do like the name Commanders now.  For one, it's safe.  What some people call bland and non-specific, I call safe, and safe is good for an NFL team.  (I won't step further into this territory here).  I like the non-literal tie in to the Military and the Presidency.  I like the W logo a lot, and I like the Black Jerseys, although I would have made the inner color of the number's burgundy and the outline gold.  I like the new Burgundy jerseys a little less, but that is the first one I chose to buy.  The White...ehh.  I'm more or less indifferent to them now, but I won't be buying one of those.  I have pointed this out before, and I have to agree with them, the team said the more they went over the available choices this one just seemed to "fit."  I do think this name fits the Nation's Capital.  Put simply, I get it.  

By way of comparison, Wizards has never grown on me, although I do like the branding they are doing now as opposed to the Wizard performing a layup logo they initially had.  I still think Wizards is the dumbest name in D.C. Sports, and it's not even close.  What sense does "Wizards" make for Washington D.C?                  

Fair enough.  If you like it, you like it and I'm not going to debate people's personal tastes anymore.  

I never really thought of Commanders as a tie in with the presidency but I thought the military connection was a bit overplayed.  There's a lot of areas in this country that have military ties.  Yes, DC is the nerve center of it all with the Pentagon and I think that's the one thing that makes DC unique from a straight military perspective.  But when I think of DC, I don't immediately think of the military.  Maybe I'm odd in that regard, I dunno.

I agree that Wizards is the dumbest name in DC sports but they have done a better job over the years with their logo and certainly the colors (the old blue was ****ing terrible).  It has no ties to the area.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree that Wizards is the dumbest name in DC sports but they have done a better job over the years with their logo and certainly the colors (the old blue was ****ing terrible).  It has no ties to the area.  

If you can't think of anything good, go with alliterative value, I guess.

Same as Pittsburgh Pirates and Penguins, basically.

There is nothing - NOTHING - about the uniforms, signage or anything else that says one iota about a 'Commander'. There's nothing. A typically epic fail from those fools in the front office. I won't even go into the absence of the burgundy & gold. It's unforgivable.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Washington Commanders - Inside the NFL franchise's search for a new nickname and logo (espn.com)

Seems like a good time to link this piece by Keim again.  I first posted this a few days after the name was announced in the "We are now" thread.  Anyone wanting another rebranding process with a new owner would do well to read this and see what they had to go through. 

All of the rules that Snyder and company had to follow for this would also have to be followed by a new owner.  I get that some people think that Snyder is more or less synonymous with Commanders, but the difficulties of accomplishing another rebrand that ends with even 1/2 the fan base happy would be near impossible. 

I don't think we can do better than what we ended up with.  I just don't.    

• Thumb down 2

13 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

Washington Commanders - Inside the NFL franchise's search for a new nickname and logo (espn.com)

Seems like a good time to link this piece by Keim again.  I first posted this a few days after the name was announced in the "We are now" thread.  Anyone wanting another rebranding process with a new owner would do well to read this and see what they had to go through. 

All of the rules that Snyder and company had to follow for this would also have to be followed by a new owner.  I get that some people think that Snyder is more or less synonymous with Commanders, but the difficulties of accomplishing another rebrand that ends with even 1/2 the fan base happy would be near impossible. 

Meh.  Still feel like you could call them the Washington Farts and it would be better than the stale "Commanders". They couldn't have missed the mark further this past round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

When one of the "official" list of the finalists included the name "Rubies", I questioned their whole vetting system.

:229:The Rook

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I remain baffled at the support for The Washington Football  Team. That is not a name guys  It is literally not a name at all.  Given the choice I'll get used to Commanders before I ever support Football Team.  

You kidding me, it was hysterical. “Okay NFL you want us to change the name… then we’ll be the Football Team.” Chopped off our nose to spite our face and it was glorious.

A shirt that says only “football team” gives me beluschi vibes. 

EDIT- all that said, I couldn’t care less about the previous, current, or future names, I’m a fan of this team.

Edited by CTskin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, skinzplay said:

There is nothing - NOTHING - about the uniforms, signage or anything else that says one iota about a 'Commander'. There's nothing. A typically epic fail from those fools in the front office. I won't even go into the absence of the burgundy & gold. It's unforgivable.

This is it for me in a nutshell. The name sucks but it's so bland we could all get used to it, providing the rebrand tied into the name. I hate the W, we should have kept the numbers on the helmets if they couldn't come up with a decent logo, but at least link the name to the brand somehow. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, Redskins Reparations said:

I actually liked Football Team because it was a big **** you to the NFL while also highlighting the political correctness of our times.

I personally feel that name change to Commanders is better than Bullets/Wizards name change but that’s not really saying much…

This was not the team sending an F You to the league.   No this was the result of a team who was once again caught behind the times and had no alternative name once they were forced to make a change.

The Washington Football Team is not unlike having a baby and calling it "Boy" for the first 2 years until you can figure out an actual name

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This was not the team sending an F You to the league.   No this was the result of a team who was once again caught behind the times and had no alternative name once they were forced to make a change.

The Washington Football Team is not unlike having a baby and calling it "Boy" for the first 2 years until you can figure out an actual name

What should they have done ?

Should they have run a poll 10, 15, 20 years ago saying:: If or when we change our name, what should it be.?

So squatters can.pounce on that name at the Trademark Office and start producing merchandise on Washington's future name ?

Or should they have kept whatever name they had in mind under wraps, and then when they pop it on the fan base, everyone can start complaining about how there was no input from the fans ?

26 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Supposedly Snyder decided on the name 'Commanders' right after they dropped the old name, so why didn't they just use that name with the plain helmets? 

That's a fair question, if that's true. But you still would have had complaints about the fans not being involved.

And, I'm not saying the process was necessarily on the up and up.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

In fairness, it was absolutely a no-win situation for them.  Any signs that they were making efforts to line up future alternative names would have just increased the pressure on them to make the change.  Doing nothing until sponsors dropped led us to 2 years of "Football Team"  

I'm no Dan Snyder defender, but I'm glad it wasn't me in his position on this issue.  

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The Guardians got caught in our wake and had to undergo a full rebrand. I didn't feel like they were caught with their pants down.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

The Guardians got caught in our wake and had to undergo a full rebrand. I didn't feel like they were caught with their pants down.

Perhaps so, but it appears many of their long-term fans reacted the same way to Guardians as ours did to Commanders.  Again, it's a no-win situation when this has to be done.  When all the best names are locked down, the best you will get our names like Guardians and Commanders.

Cleveland Guardians Struggling To Attract Fans, Ratings After Name Change – OutKick