Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

The team was recently granted a Notice of Allowance for " Washington Football Team " after it was published and cleared opposition in the principal register.

That was only for one of it patents, which is not enough by itself. The others were rejected.

It honestly only got that far b/c they dropped it as the primary name so those with interfering trademarks abandoned theirs to save money. Subsequently no one challenged it when provided the window either. If we went after WFT in a primary fashion again, those interfering trademarks would file for revival and those who could challenge it would have monetary incentive to do so and we would be right back in the same boat. They also had to amend their application to disclaim both "Washington" and "Football Team" claiming no ownership over the terms. Obviously not good for an NFL franchise.

The majority of their WFT patents have been rejected multiple times now. I don't have much in the way of confidence that they can get where they need to be when they are struggling to do so in a behind the scenes manner. The second you try to bring it forward into the light the problems will grow 5 fold just as it did when we were named WFT.

Edited by FootballZombie

7 hours ago, woodpecker said:

For me, red wolves is fine. And it’s not a Snyder creation, in fact he rejected it which makes me like it even more! So basically, I like red wolves and despise commanders, simply because of Snyder. forgive me if my take is crazy, but my distaste for Snyder sometimes clouds my judgment.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

You're absolutely right...lets talk hypotheticals. What do you all think about hypothetically trading for Patrick Mahomes? 

Because that is more viable and realistic than another name change.

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Straight facts.

Acceptance is final step in grieving process, yall, met you there...

Lol, the fact that you guys are clinging to this is amusing. It's very much NOT facts, in FACT, the far more likely scenario is that the new ownership rebrands one final time. 

Will it happen?  Who knows. But trying to state it's 100% not happening?  That's absurd. 

Ah, the joys of a message board. At least we all agree in kicking Danny out and enjoying the ride of what's to come. 

• Like 2

Just now, LetThePointsSoar said:

Lol, the fact that you guys are clinging to this is amusing. It's very much NOT facts, in FACT, the far more likely scenario is that the new ownership rebrands one final time. 

Rebrand like change the name? Do you know how hard that is and all the logistics behind it?

What about the reason companies do a rebrand?  It certainly isn't because the customers, who are still buying the product, are complaining about the name.

Just now, LetThePointsSoar said:

Will it happen?  Who knows. But trying to state it's 100% not happening?  That's absurd. 

Ah, the joys of a message board. At least we all agree in kicking Danny out and enjoying the ride of what's to come. 

No, what's absurd is anyone getting mad if they don't, there's no business justification worth the cost of doing so, so I'm not gonna put the new owners on blast for not doing something other companies don't do either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Redtails is still my favorite option and there is not a very close 2nd.  Would love to be able to keep the same fight song with different lyrics, the logo could be so similar (some renditions were created back in 2020 when this idea came out), and it honors an incredible piece of history.  Keep the colors!   And no offense to the idea of the 'federals' but it feels so much like Commanders....or  Washington Generals.  Something that sounds like a team the Harlem Globetrotters brought in as the token patsies.  

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Rebrand like change the name? Do you know how hard that is and all the logistics behind it?

What about the reason companies do a rebrand?  It certainly isn't because the customers, who are still buying the product, are complaining about the name.

No, what's absurd is anyone getting mad if they don't, there's no business justification worth the cost of doing so, so I'm not gonna put the new owners on blast for not doing something other companies don't do either.

I won't be MAD, per se, without a rebrand, I'll just not likely return to the level of fandom I once was.  Maybe with time I'll change my mind, but doubtful. 

Lol, yes. I'm VERY aware of what goes into a rebrand considering I spent nearly 2 decades in marketing.  And we'll agree to disagree, but I think there is VERY little chance the new owner doesn't maximize their new investment by doing a full on rebrand that finds a way to re-engage the alienated fanbase. There's too much money to be made for them to not do it. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

At least we all agree in kicking Danny out and enjoying the ride of what's to come. 

I do not completely agree with kicking Danny out.

I would prefer he be launched out via cannon or strapped to an ICBM.

...but details I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I won't be MAD, per se, without a rebrand, I'll just not likely return to the level of fandom I once was.  Maybe with time I'll change my mind, but doubtful. 

Lol, yes. I'm VERY aware of what goes into a rebrand considering I spent nearly 2 decades in marketing.  And we'll agree to disagree, but I think there is VERY little chance the new owner doesn't maximize their new investment by doing a full on rebrand that finds a way to re-engage the alienated fanbase. There's too much money to be made for them to not do it. 

Nah, man, the fan base is in standby mode for reasons so far beyond the name that changing the name again wouldn't be neccesary, and that's the key ingredient for the type of rebrand you are proposing, necessity. 

For every person that won't come back until Snyder is gone, another will show up if the winning continues.  

We also have to keep in mind the new owners likely won't be fans of the team, they won't be from the area.  They won't feel what we feel, it's business to them, that's more plausible then them emptying the clip to maximize fan base appeal for an already multi-billion dollar business.  The come back is locked in no matter what the name is if Snyder is gone and they keep winning.

Little doubt is setting up to get disappointed, I can't follow you in that one.

I think a rebrand is only a thing that exists in the minds of fans. A new owner most likely won't be a fan of the team since childhood like the rest of us. Commanders is neutral to positive from an outside perspective and I think they will prioritize other things before a name change. They have bigger fish to fry like a new stadium, facilities, etc. They don't have the same name baggage as we do.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

That was only for one of it patents, which is not enough by itself. The others were rejected.

They ( only ) applied for three trademarks.

One was just the sequential words: Washington Football Team

Another was a Washington Football Team wordmark like we saw on tshirts, etc.

The last was.the same font and wordmark with " est. 1932 ".

The team has essentially been granted the first.

The team did not challenge the other two, the same way they did the first. They simply asked for a suspension until a judgement had been made on two trademarks by a squatter on " Washington Team Footballers" 

Those two squatter trademarks are abandoned and " dead ".

Washington Football Club was also withdrawn and is " dead".

The team still pursued and obtained " Washington Football Team " even after Commanders had already been chosen.

The team has not yet but still could appeal those other two. Whether they will or not, I have no idea.

If they have the first, do they need the other two ?

Couldn't they just come up with a  different look on the Washington Football Team wordmark since they already own " Washington Football Team " ?

What would the team use as " throwback " merchandise assuming they would never reference their first 88 years ?

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 1

If they have the first, do they need the other two ?

Yes. Its why they applied for the various types.

Those two squatter trademarks are abandoned and " dead ".

Trademarks both pending and registered can be revived from dead status. They can also separately be used to challenge the rights to sell products even though they are dead.

If you give someone massive financial incentive to do so, like trying to name an NFL football team, your opening the floodgates. Those applications showed the ability to stand in the way. Its not unreasonable to think they would given the oppo of a payday.

Even if all our WFT trademarks were to reach full registration, they could still be challenged, tied up or overturned for years to come. That is not even a finish line for any WFT trademarks. 

What would the team use as " throwback " merchandise assuming they would never reference their first 88 years ?

That would be on the team to decide, but a lot of teams can sell throwback stuff without stepping on any trademark toes.

I seem to remember the Steelers Bumble bee uni does not say anything and has no logos outside of the NFL one. There is no reason we could not develop a throw back jersey that is simply devoid of logos if we really wanted to.

Did the WFT jersey have a logo on it? If I remember correctly they just said Washington. They could sell those tomorrow if they wanted to from a legal standpoint as even our rejected apps are still pending. . The problem is so could every other sports company if you eventually don't get all the trademarks you need.

Edited by FootballZombie

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Trademarks both pending and registered can be revived from dead status. They can also separately be used to challenge the rights to sell products even though they are dead.

Even if all our WFT trademarks were to reach full registration, they could still be challenged, tied up or overturned for years to come.

Fine, but unlike before, now they would be doing so while the Team actually owns the trademark for the term " Washington Football Team ".

I don't think that's going to work for them.

(There) is not even a finish line for any wft trademarks. 

Taking into account one has already been published in the principal register. I don't think this is true.

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I seem to remember the Steelers Bumble bee uni does not say anything and has no logos outside of the NFL one. There is no reason we could not develop a throw back jersey that is simply devoid of logos if we really wanted to.

Did the WFT jersey have a logo on it? If I remember correctly they just said Washington.

I said merchandise, not just jerseys.

At this point, what do you think a throwback Tshirt or hoodie would look like ? What would it say ? What logo ?

Edited by Spearfeather

38 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

I said merchandise, not just jerseys.

At this point, what do you think a throwback Tshirt or hoodie would look like ? What would it say ? What logo ?

I'd probably do what the team is already doing. They already have a bunch of throwback stuff on the team store. That problem is solved

-Commanders merch w/ retro designs.

-Some stuff just says Washington. They can always make retro style shirts/pants/hats that just say Washington. No logo needed.
-It looks like we already sell replica jerseys w/ the logos removed. We will always have access to that for both Redskins and WFT
-"Washington" and "Football Team" are not trademark-able terms, they must be disclaimed. We will always be able sell B&G merch that say these words without a trademark, just like any other company can.

As for the trademark discussion I don't feel the need to go farther. We had this same talk several years ago and I informed you then of the massive issues that were obvious in trying to acquire it, and all of those problems presented themselves in some fashion. Like all of them. I remember touching on the name being rejected for consisting only descriptive factors, the other impeding trademark applications, having to disclaim both Washington and Football Team as they can not be owned and the amount of time this would require to even hope to get done. We are now well into year 3 of them trying to acquire the needed rights for it and the majority of the applications are still stuck in the initial step of registration after being rejected multiple times. Even the one app that has shown some level of progression has seen them disclaim the entirety of the composing name meaning they posses no ability to prevent others from using those words with that trademark. I could not provide a better argument against the idea than the one that time has already provided. It is exceedingly problematic to create a NFL strong trademark portfolio around WFT.

2 and a half years ago you would have had to accept my words on faith, but now, clearly getting all the rights to a name as generic as WFT is an amazingly difficult slog.

For comparison, the Seattle Kraken filed for their merch rights about 2 days apart from our WFT apps and they have been registered for well over a year.

14 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I think the point is the poster who claimed it was a fact that they won't rebrand is simply not correct. Of course it's still in play.  

I'm with the crowd that prefers Red in the name. Red Hawks, Red Wolves etc.  I still can't believe a small group would be OK with the return to The Football Team. That is the dumbest name in the history of professional sports.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

After seeing the Sean Taylor memorial I really miss our old uniforms. Such an awesome color scheme, look, and design. It was one of the iconic looks of the entire league. 

Now we just have some generic Arena League looking crap. 

We all have Tanya, the "fashion consultant", to thank for that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The NFL is a completely different beast than any other kind of company you can think of.  Doing a re-brand/name change for something like the Commies is different.

And if a new owner wants to do a re-brand...well, let them.  Hopefully they recognize that this one fell flat.

16 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I wouldn't be mad about it not happening either and my fan level when it comes to watching games and paying attention wouldn't decrease.  But I'm still not buying any ****ing Commanders gear, it looks atrocious.  I'm also not putting money in Snyder's pocket while he's owner.  That said, I've not seen a t-shirt, hoodie, or anything else Commanders related where I'm like "Damn, that looks amazing and I'd love to have it but I'm sticking to my principles and not purchasing Commanders gear as long as Snyder is owner."  No, it's been more like "That looks terrible and I'm not interested in it anyway."

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

After seeing the Sean Taylor memorial I really miss our old uniforms. Such an awesome color scheme, look, and design. It was one of the iconic looks of the entire league. 

Now we just have some generic Arena League looking crap. 

I miss our old uniforms, too.  There's something to be said for a timeless look and what we currently have isn't it.  It's trying to capture a trend, it's trying to look with the times or look different or some ****.

37774b5e94733f8747ddc8284f6afc34--washin

GettyImages-108969138.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXXJwIJIRwklq492ah3T8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkdRLXVLbnRhPyXky6Rpo

I sincerely doubt that in 50 years from now, we're going to look back at these stupid white jerseys we have with the stupid ****ing color gradient like we look back on jerseys from the 70s.  Even though I hate the rest of the teams in our division these jerseys from that era don't miss at all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The NFL is a completely different beast than any other kind of company you can think of.  Doing a re-brand/name change for something like the Commies is different.

And if a new owner wants to do a re-brand...well, let them.  Hopefully they recognize that this one fell flat.

It's like we having this conversation in February when it's not, it's late November in the middle of a playoff run.

We're winning, that corny ass Left Hand Up is catchy and everywhere, including the stadium. 

If new owners want to try to make everyone happy with another new name, which is impossible, more power to them.  Not everyone wanted redwolves, for example, and folks mad it's anything but Redskins will never be happy.

Rebrands are work, even for an NFL franchise.  I finally got my Black Terry jersey in the mail, so like I said, I'm at acceptance stage now.  I see more what Wizards did then a name change, but people have right to hold out hope.  I jus think it's gonna look corny anyone mad new owners don't change the name again.  To me, winning matters more and they finally doing that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I sincerely doubt that in 50 years from now, we're going to look back at these stupid white jerseys we have with the stupid ****ing color gradient like we look back on jerseys from the 70s.  Even though I hate the rest of the teams in our division these jerseys from that era don't miss at all.  

Given the average age of whats left of the Redskins fan base, 50 years from now most of us won't be doing much of anything, much less looking back.

• Sad 2