Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Washing Dallas (Is it Draft Time Yet?)

KDawg

Every O-Line coach is a brilliant O-Line coach in the fans' eyes while he's coaching for Washington. Once they're off the team, they're considered overrated. Callahan was a genius, until he left the team. Now we think he's bad. Matsko is brilliant. Or at least he was brilliant. If he gets fired tomorrow for having to work with has-beens and never-weres, he will be the worst O-Line coach ever. Chris Foerster doing lines of coke would probably be thought of as the best O-Line coach we've ever had if he was still with the team.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

****ing unbelievable that the Giants are 3-1.

The thing is, I would take our roster over theirs 10 times out of 10.  On paper, that is.  Once the games start, they clearly have a better plan.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I just think it was a team that's not that good (us) catching a team that was slightly more inexperienced off guard.  I don't know if the Commies did anything out of the ordinary for that half, they just might have had a decent matchup.

Don't forget, we could have easily lost that game if Trevor Lawrence completed some passes.  

Agreed.  0-4 was very much on the table.

We stink! very sad to watch this week after week..Never try to run seam routes everything is a screen or thrown to sideline..stop with the read option never should we run that! defense ive been harping on this all year sweat had done nothing ! he has no spin move just gets swallowed up every play! the bama boys we have i bet are saying what the hell...we have never lost like this! 

Edited by smooth

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

😠 on the stupid W on the helmet 

Did you not see the tweet that was put out with it? One of the most fine deaf tweets I’ve ever seen

If someone else said this I haven't seen it and I apologize but I think the weirdest thing about this photo is that he's such a Jerry fan boy he didn't even stand next to his wife, just wanted to be sure he was next to Jerry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's time to consider 1-16. I've seen enough. 

Run game was good today, a rare event, but the team is just so unstable it's impossible to know where the next problem will appear week to week.

I'm sensing the players know this and the team is about to implode.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My wife and my kids were laughing at me that I was yelling at the TV everytime I saw Jamin Davis in coverage on a WR.  I explain to them its like me trying to keep up with a track athlete as far as speed.  The WR will run by him everytime and the offense ALWAYS throws it to the WR in that scenario.  If we are playing 2 safeties and 3 cb why aren't one of the CBs on him?  Or 1 safety and 4 DBs.  That leaves 4 DL and 1 LB.  It's not like the offense comes out there with 7WR sets.  Why is Jamin playing outside corner?

Wasn't he guarding a WR on that play in the 4th qtr where they called a defensive holding call on St. Juste??

This game confirmed my bigger overall fear of the team's 2022 outlook. . I know it is still technically "early" but come on now, we all saw the Cowboys vs Giants on MNF.  This wasn't a good team they were playing today, the Cowboys for the most part looked pretty mediocre out there, they looked every bit the part of a .500 team. I know once Dak returns the offense will get a boost, but this was the Cooper Rush led Cowboys and there was nothing they did on offense that wasn't pedestrian.  So what does that say about the Commanders......ugh.

Something I have noticed about Turner's offense this year, at least the plays he is calling, he wants to hit those deep vertical shots and the offense has the personnel to do it, however it seems like he doesn't utilize the middle of the field much, that 15-20 yard pass, those seam routes, the 10 yard out routes, curls, etc etc.......McLaurin and Dotson are clearing everyone out, but there never seems to be anyone running underneath, and if they are, it is a RB barely 2 yards beyond the LOS.   

I am so tired of seeing McLaurin burn Diggs, but for whatever reason, it is still an incompletion.  Last year it was lack of arm strength at the QB position, this season it is the QB having no time for plays to develop or he can't even plant his leg into a throw due to the pressure. 

I am usually someone that sides with the coaches over the players or at least am hesitant to blame the coaches, but I honestly feel this go around that the roster has more talent on offense then we are seeing on the field.  Yeah the O-line is mediocre, but there are other mediocre O-lines and that is up to the O-coordinator to scheme around it.  You went and brought in a guy who is known for holding the ball longer, and having the arm strength to make every throw, so how do you allow this O-line product to happen.  Were they not constantly being shredded in practice?  Was this a surprise to the coaches? I doubt it.  Now we are going to see less of Gibson and Logan Thomas out there running routes if they have to stay in to help block on every passing down.  Probably why we keep seeing more Bates out there too. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I'm not gonna be completely negative towards WJ3. Sure there were some bad plays but that one deflection on the throw to Lamb. Right? That was one of the best cb deflections on a deep ball I've seen one of our corners make in years.. It stinks because the narrative is negative towards him and even the great plays he makes don't get the credit they deserve cause our expectations were high on him.. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, El Mexican said:

It's time to consider 1-16. I've seen enough. 

Run game was good today, a rare event, but the team is just so unstable it's impossible to know where the next problem will appear week to week.

I'm sensing the players know this and the team is about to implode.

Think we imploded already.

Black uniforms are butt. Fat guy butt to be more specific. Terrible way to introduce them to the world.

Passing game continues to be apocalyptic. Not even competitive in the general sense. It fails in so many ways. Poor playcalling, horrendous blocking, bad accuracy. We averaged bigger gains rushing than passing w/ an abysmal 4yds an attempt. Forget about winning, you can't expect to even stay in the same stadium as other teams when this is what your getting from your passing game. Bush league.

Run game showed up today. We did a much better job utilizing multiple rushers rather than forcing Gibby into his usual RB Jesus role. A welcome sight especially w/ B-robs return around the corner.

D was serviceable. They had some stretches of nice play, but again got burned by big plays. I still find it difficult to be as upset at them given the deficiencies on the other side of he ball. We did have a couple of our corners clearly having their head on a swivel and tracking balls in flight. That was very encouraging to see and was probably beat in to their brains all week after all the shadow boxing and face guarding vs Philly.

Got our first FG. Thats nice.

Coaching was again poor. Especially at the end of the half. We had no confidence in our ability to do anything in a good minute. That's self-defeatist and your practically dooming yourself before you even try.

Watching this team flounder is hard. The boatload of penalty's today was just another sign of poor coaching.

• Like 3

Stopped watching at half-time. As I went on to watch Doctor Strange 2 that was much more entertaining than this team.

That time management to end the half was just weird to watch and understand as their seemed to be no logic at all. Either go one way or the other, but pick a solution.

Just for that reason alone, I believe Ron/Scott deserves some ☹️ rewards. That as unprofessionnal as it was.

Considering the black unis, it was also weird to see and didn't look like my team anymore. But, considering how we're playing, they should replace our "W" logos with an "L" logo, that would be more suitable.

I'm not getting where we are supposed to have good players on the team. But if we have some we're constantly working on having them out of position or not feeding them with balls.

Seems like it'll be a long season, but one where I'm having a hard time caring about the team.

Jonathan Allen looked like the best player on the field. Payne and Allen once again went to work yesterday. The problem is: They are the only players who make plays on a constant basis. If you compare that to the Cowboys where it seems like that whole D is in sync and everyone makes plays on a constant basis. That D had us bottled up entirely because everyone did what they were supposed to do. That's what a well coached defense looks like. Our players just don't make plays outside of the interior D-line. Every deep shot against us is an incompletion or a flag. We have guys running wide open all the time, because people don't drop in their zones, because they don't communicate, because they don't trust each other. It's just a mess. I honestly, don't even think that we have a talent issue. Sure, other teams are way more talented than ours but the talent on our team is not as bad as the output is on the field. But there is not a single roster in this league that is as poorly constructed as this one. There is no plan, no chemistry.

And the offense... I don't even know where to start. Can we do something other than a dump off, a screen or a deep shot? Why are we not throwing anything between 10 and 20 yards? Or even some quick hitters to them? We have three pretty good WRs, yet the only targets they see are deep shots or screens. I don't even know if we have seen a single slant this entire season. I understand that the o-line is horrendous but you can't score points in this league with such a ridiculous offense. Yeah, Wentz is pressured constantly but he is also rushing everything all the time and he is constantly back-padelling 15 yards. But even when he has time, his mechanics and accuracy are horrible. He has no feel for pressure, no feel for the pocket. He had two grounding penalties yesterday because he once again refused to give up on a play in time. He is constantly high on his throws, stares down targets, throws off his back foot, walks into pressure, it's just an absurd mess.

Can any QB succeed behind that o-line? No. But Carson Wentz is making the issues worse. As is Scott Turner. The offensive game plan has been the same since week 1. But just like every team would, the Jags adjusted after the first two drives and every other team has since. And we just keep trying to do the same over and over again.

• Like 2

We do not look like an NFL offense. Blame it on the O-line, blame it on Wentz, blame it on Turner- take your pick. I personally think it's all of them and obviously if you have an offense with a porous O-line that can't protect a slow, immobile QB, who has no confidence and holds the ball too long, led by an OC who is lost and out coached by the opponents DC on a weekly basis, you're going to have an incompetent offense that doesn't look like they belong on the same field with an NFL defense. 

I don't think that going into the season it was a stretch to think this team could compete for a wildcard spot- at least it wasn't for me. Four games into it, we are the worst team in the NFL and are headed for historic suckage. As bad as we've been for decades, I didn't see us being remotely close to the worst team in the league, but that's what it's come to under Rivera- who's been a grossly overrated HC for his entire career and is on his way to being one of the worst coaches we've had here.

Thankfully, I had to work yesterday so I only had to watch the 1st quarter.

32 yards. Yeah, 32 yards TOTAL OFFENSE in Q1: 12 yards passing & 20 yards rushing with 1 sack allowed and a couple of penalties including an inexplicable intentional grounding penalty by Wentz because he's too ****ing stupid to plant his foot and throw the ball into row 5. 

Wentz backpedaled probably 15 yards in attempting to setup a screen pass due to DE pressure from the right. The pass was thrown at the feet of an OL player. I have no idea who was the intended receiver.

The 2022 season is over for me. I haven't wasted too much time watching games but I won't be turning them on again. 

• Like 1

Losing Roullier caused the line to fall apart... Again.  Centers are important.  Keith Ismael should have been ready to take over the job by now, if he were any good.  We shouldn't have put all of our eggs in the basket of an OC heading into a walk year and coming off a season ender.

I like Jahan Dotson and talked about him as an alternative to picking an early receiver, but we should have picked Jordan Davis, Devin Lloyd, or Tyler Linderbaum.  We'd be better off with any of the three.  Especially Linderbaum. 

Actually we could have had either of Lloyd or Linderbaum + Dotson by moving up from the 2nd instead or reaching for Phidarian Mathis, given how far those two fell in the first.  And we'd probably have been much more comfortable making that kind of trade if we hadn't spent our third in that dumb Carson Wentz deal where we bid against ourselves for a player the Colts would have eventually cut.  And we definitely would have been much more comfortable in not forcing a DT pick in the second if we'd just worked out an extension with Daron Payne, which they couldn't do after making that awful Wentz trade.

I tried to embrace our off-season and talk myself into the moves we made, and hoped that Wentz would eventually be a bargain and successful reclamation.  But even in my most optimistic outlooks I knew Wentz was boom or bust and there is a chance we'd get the bust.  Reality has forcefully set in and all of my initial misgivings about most of the moves we have made have come true.  The nightmare scenario of the season immediately going off the rails has happened, and it's put into stark relief the truth that our front office and coaching staff just aren't good enough.  It's time to fire Rivera, bench Wentz and try and salvage that second rounder, and start over with a tank season.

• Like 2

Tough to forsee Rouillier would get hurt again, totally different injury.  He;s young and been durable earlier in his career and they had a lot of money tied in him.  So good with no Linderbaum who has a 55 PFF score so far for pass blocking.  I was one of the few on the draft thread who liked Dotson so I was cool with the pick.   I did prefer Lloyd.  I woiuldn't mind Jordan Davis either.  But OK with that pick especially with the trade down which landed Howell, Robinson, Cole Turner. 

They've drafted fairly well.  Noit great but good..  But doing nothing in FA and discarding depth is where the season was lost IMO.

Also being arrogant that Masko can make lemonade out of lemons -- that he's that good.

As far as Wentz I also thought boom bust and its certainly leaning bust -- if so that will end up their fatal move especially considering how arrogant they were touting the trade. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It's time to fire Rivera, bench Wentz and try and salvage that second rounder, and start over with a tank season.

I see this quite a bit.  

Sounds great in theory.  Accept this thing is going nowhere, bottom out, and draft high in what is presumably a QB rich draft.  The only dilemma is what the dilemma always is, Dan Snyder has to orchestrate the plan.  He not only would have to eat salaries for multiple years on Rivera and all the guys he brought in, he’d have to have a plan to replace everyone with someone better. 

That’s a lot of big boy moves for a guy who can’t even select the right colors to wear or have his clothes dry cleaned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1