Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Washing Dallas (Is it Draft Time Yet?)

KDawg

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Patrick Ramsey was drafted in 2002.  Gibbs was hired in 2005.  Apples to oranges.

The context at that time was Haskins at his best -- played decently in the last two games and the narrative was he was working hard after not doing so earlier. 

I wasn't a Haskins guy to say the least but to dump Haskins at THAT given time would have been weird.  And that's without factoring that Haskins was Dan's dude in a big way.  

Mad irony here you convinced he was a bust, being proved right, but that point in history jus wasn't the right time go in a direction we never should've gone in in the first place. 

Two games playing decently to end a season shouldn't of canceled out all the other film on him, he wasn't lights out or great. Maybe it is a tall order to ask people paid to watch that film all day to not pretend the film is lying to them so they can lie to themselves or someone else.

And I get it ain't easy for folks to admit they've made multi-million dollar mistakes both inside and outside football.

I question now how seriously Haskins was taking the 2020 offseason given how much was coming out about his maturity issues almost soon as the season started to explain why it wasnt translating into a better season for him.

You know I’ve been indifferent to this franchise for a long time but upon reflection… I don’t even care at all anymore. 

I hang here for the draft talk and shared misery. 

We don’t even wear our colors anymore. Some strange red and white with no striped pants for white jerseys… an all black look with barely (or any) burgundy on them… we still haven’t worn the burgundy jerseys. 

The Sean Taylor situation.

The whole rebrand. 

Snyder (x1000).

I have gone from indifferent to… “huh. They’re worse than I thought.”

This team is hemorrhaging fans. 

The Lions are at least spunky bad. We’re flat unlikeable.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Mad irony here you convinced he was a bust, being proved right, but that point in history jus wasn't the right time go in a direction we never should've gone in in the first place. 

Two games playing decently to end a season shouldn't of canceled out all the other film on him, he wasn't lights out or great. Maybe it is a tall order to ask people paid to watch that film all day to not pretend the film is lying to them so they can lie to themselves or someone else.

And I get it ain't easy for folks to admit they've made multi-million dollar mistakes both inside and outside football.

I question now how seriously Haskins was taking the 2020 offseason given how much was coming out about his maturity issues almost soon as the season started to explain why it wasnt translating into a better season for him.

Just because I and some others didn't like Haskins obviously doesn't make it a fact.  Some draft geeks loved the dude.

But when your boss is in love with a player and there is some temporary evidence that maybe the love is justified, tough to tell look dude you are wrong from the outset.  By Ron discarding Haskins in year 2 during the season if I recall that was the fastest a first round QB was discarded in like 15 years or something like that.  Sorry I just can't give Ron a hard time for not doing it sooner.  

If people want me to agree to rip Ron on something.  It won't be on his drafts.  I think he's drafts have been mostly good.  And its not for him not discarding Haskins from the jump.

If I had to pick a beef with Ron in my opinion its this:

Yes he has drafted fairly well but not so well that the draft is EVERYTHING.  Where all your needs are met via the draft.  The Eagles make trades, use FA, manipulate the cap.  Ron seems to act like the draft is the only tool to build a team.  

Also I think he underestimated the malaise of the fans here.  He wants more patience.  But he inherited an impatient fan base that have endured misery forever.  His insistance that a rebuild takes time, and he has a lot of work to turn around a losing franchise feels verbatim the same stuff that Shanny used to say.  It seems like they both persist that it takes 5 years for a rebuild when plenty of teams rebuilt their teams in less time.

A crash seasoon ironically might be what the doctor ordered ironically for the rebuild. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Like Ive said. The entire defense needs to be rebuilt

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His insistence that a rebuild takes time

It does though. The thing is that everyone and their mother sees that they have have not been trying to rebuild. They do the same thing they always do. Try to half ass both. Win as much as they can and add young talent to call it a rebuild. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Like Ive said. The entire defense needs to be rebuilt

It does though. The thing is that everyone and their mother sees that they have have not been trying to rebuild. They do the same thing they always do. Try to half ass both. Win as much as they can and add young talent to call it a rebuild. 

Disagree that the entire defense needs to be rebuilt.  I think the defense if anything is coming on.  Jay Gruden for example lol that its clear he's no fan of this coaching staff, does think the defense is coming on,  We can use upgrades on defense but its no so bad IMO..

The O line needs to be rebuilt 

As for not embracing a rebuild I put that on Dan, 100% Dan, not the coaching staff.   Coaches hate to rebuiid -- it has to be a decree from the owner see the Dolphins among others as an example of that. 

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That’s such a huge part of it. Two years ago, the team was not good (despite going to the playoffs), but the defense was at least playing with some heat. Now everything is just so boring and unlikable.

No fight to this team and that’s not me calling out the character of the players, we’re just overmatched physically, emotionally and mentally.

I don’t even care for the coaches, they don’t feel like our coaches. The homegrown type. Feels like rentals. Trash organization.

• Like 4

The OL is so bad right now and it makes Wentz look worse than he is...Yes Wentz has played bad also,But the majority of the problems is with the OL.He has got guys in his face before he even finishes dropping back.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I'd be willing to go to a game every now and then if I knew my team was a lock to hang 30 something points and give you something to cheer for. Beats sitting on your hands while your team puts up 8.

More than just offense tho, they have an identity. Something positive you can hang your hat on and rally around. We got squat. What can we really attach to?

-Our D is not as bad as we thought it was gonna be?

-A rebrand nobody likes?

-No missed FGs yet?

-Our coach is a good guy?

-Improved turf is really holding up? (it is tho)

I'd add another shot at Rivera which is he's keeping to the Bruce Allen traditon of being a non fun team.  Yawn boring.

For example if the Giants did this below, it would be intriguing.  Excitement doesn't seem to be part of the Rivera psyche.  just like it wasn't for Bruce.    It's part of the reason, granted a small part why this franchise is irrelevant in the league.

But like I said Rivera isn't a concern of mine.  To me its all about Dan. 

A buddy of mine was insulting me Sunday, he said you’re team isn’t even bad or laughably bad. They’re irrelevant, no one cares about them. 

he’s right. I can’t even find positives to lean on after this one. I’m looking forward to watching Brian Robinson run, that’s it.

I mean how the **** can we not get the ball to these 3 WRs???? Turners offense is so boring, so ****ing bad. I watch Andy Reid’s chiefs or Kyle’s 9ers last night, it’s amazing how they use their talent 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Technically, I think all the gold numbers and names had a thin maroon border around it. Barely enough to call it our traditional maroon and black.

As bad as the black alts look, the worst thing about them is the out of place black stripe added to the other uniforms. 

If they can somehow hide maroon on the Vanderbilt blacks, how couldn't they hide a black stripe on the white or the reds!?

This organization sure is something. It's a onion of disappointment and frustration.

Layer after stinky, eye watering layer.

• Like 2

I think it gets frustrating that in a league that has gone out of it's way to modify or change so many rules to help offenses score more points, it never seems to translate to this team.  You have good teams,bad teams, and every team in between seem to casually go out and drop 30+ points on the scoreboard, even if it is in a loss.  If this team came out and always seemed prepared, coached up, and ready for a battle, but still losing, that would be one thing, but in back to back games they score a total of 18 points?  

It just seems like there is always *something* about this franchise that has them 10 steps behind whatever the norms/median abilities in the league happen to be at any given time.

Someone mentioned it above, it's not even as if this team is bad enough every season to generate the draft hype, they are just continually that 5-8 win irrelevant team that never seems to build progress towards anything.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Someone mentioned it above, it's not even as if this team is bad enough every season to generate the draft hype, they are just continually that 5-8 win irrelevant team that never seems to build progress towards anything.

I think it all stems from the organizational need to win. The fan base and Dan for that matter are so pressured to win that each staff that comes in here and refuses to rebuild. We don have some decent pieces. Were not totally lost but were also no where close to competing. Each new regime comes in and starts talking about how theres a good place to build and that were closer to competing. Which to an extent I agree with. Most teams arent far from competing for the playoffs. Id say probably close to 25 teams each year are in contention for the playoffs if things break right with injuries and what not. That shouldnt be the goal though. What this shallow goal causes is a lack of planning on a multi year scale. "If we just fix X we can be in the playoffs" Theres no coherent building. No long term plan. No identity. This also causes the team to constantly be not suck. Missing out on elite talent that changes the franchise.

Its an endless cycle. They desperately need a bottoming out. A season where everything goes wrong. Then build on that rock bottom. Rock Bottom is a great base to build a foundation on. Set a true long term plan. Build an identity. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

A buddy of mine was insulting me Sunday, he said you’re team isn’t even bad or laughably bad. They’re irrelevant, no one cares about them. 

he’s right. I can’t even find positives to lean on after this one. I’m looking forward to watching Brian Robinson run, that’s it.

I mean how the **** can we not get the ball to these 3 WRs???? Turners offense is so boring, so ****ing bad. I watch Andy Reid’s chiefs or Kyle’s 9ers last night, it’s amazing how they use their talent 

I could not have said it any better.  

What's worse than being bad, being so bad that you become non existent, irrelevant. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️