Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Washing Dallas (Is it Draft Time Yet?)

KDawg

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well we had the #2 overall pick in 2020 which looks like it might have not one, not two, not three, but four franchise QB types. And we passed on all of them(granted nobody had Jalen Hurts as a top 5 prospect, but still).

It was't an obvious hot QB draft.  Supposedly they loved Burrow but alas they needed the first round pick.  Tua was injury prone.  And people felt mixed about Herbert.

I am not saying you can't land a top QB without drafting in a good QB draft and taking the top 2 but the odds aren't the same.  For every Herbert there is a Daniel Jones, Blaine Gabbert, etc.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not sure I’d re-sign Payne though, I’m on the fence.

Payne is fine enough to sign but I wouldnt. More and more teams are moving to 3 man fronts. Signing 2 DTs to big contracts is a bad roster building move. Agree with you on Kam Allen and maybe Young. Mathis is kept just because hes cheap but if hes getting a contract its not going to be here. Butler and holmes and really everyone else in the paragraph is your standard mid to late round back 1/3rd of your roster that every team has. Forrest is the exception. Unfortunately hes a SS too. Nice back up. 

For the RBs its ehh. Id like Brian to be more well rounded and Gibson to be a better runner. Im against signing RBs to second contracts as a whole. They rarely work out in any capacity. TE is one that needs a starter. Maybe Cole is the guy but hes a healthy scratch thus far. Logan has only one year left and looks slow as molasses in his age 30 season. Leno is over 30. Cosmi needs more time. Not writing in either direction for him yet. The interior of the line is a disaster. I like chase but hes unreliable at this point. 

Obviously its too early to be conclusive. This year I dont hate any of the players except for mathis. Just dont think they drafted for ceiling what so ever. Last years is looking like bust city through the first 4 picks. 2020 hinges on chase being the elite player he can be.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Per Paulsen, as well, he's not as down on Cosmi as we seem to be. He mentioned that Brandon Graham was just a totally different matchup for him vs most folks who he faces because Graham is super strong and is 280-290. Regardless, the best shot this offense has is moving Cosmi inside and Lucas to tackle so they can put their best 5 on the field against Tennessee. Remember that Tennessee's best defensive player is Jeffrey Simmons. Simmons on some combination of Charles, Norwell and Martin sounds like a disaster in the making. With Cosmi in for Charles, that is a much better matchup. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It was't an obvious hot QB draft.  Supposedly they loved Burrow but alas they needed the first round pick.  Tua was injury prone.  And people felt mixed about Herbert.

I am not saying you can't land a top QB without drafting in a good QB draft and taking the top 2 but the odds aren't the same.  For every Herbert there is a Daniel Jones, Blaine Gabbert, etc.

The revisionist history on the 2020 draft is so dumb to me. It was Tua or bust. They werent comfortable with the hip. The trade down scenario is far more plausible to talk about. 

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said it before, a famous scout once said you can have good personnel but if your O line is bad your team is bad.  I've always agreed with that.  I think the talent on average is average.  

But the two spots that stink are the wrong spots -- O line and QB.

I think what's clear with Wentz is that he can be decent if he has good protection. 

But he is NOT a good quarterback if he has to scramble and improvise.  Some quarterbacks are.  Not him.

So we have the worst of both worlds right now on offense... an O-line that can't give Wentz time, and a QB who falls apart and can't ad lib if protection breaks down. He can't or won't step into the pocket to dodge the outside pressure. He seems to panic. His dump offs are thrown with way to much zip so they sail over the receivers' heads or way wide of the target.  That's demoralizing when a bit of success on those outlets might slow the rush.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I think what's clear with Wentz is that he can be decent if he has good protection. 

But he is NOT a good quarterback if he has to scramble and improvise.  Some quarterbacks are.  Not him.

So we have the worst of both worlds right now on offense... an O-line that can't give Wentz time, and a QB who falls apart and can't ad lib if protection breaks down. He can't or won't step into the pocket to dodge the outside pressure. He seems to panic. His dump offs are thrown with way to much zip so they sail over the receivers' heads or way wide of the target.  That's demoralizing when a bit of success on those outlets might slow the rush.

Agree that things can still unfold for Wentz.  But if they have a top 5 pick in this draft I want a QB.  The Eagles are taking advantage of having a cheap QB to build their roster.

Wentz at 28 million at this given time doesn't look like a good bet but my mind is still open. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Also, Wentz isn't someone who can elevate the players around him. He's a good QB when given time and obviously good weapons, but he's not a guy who can carry an offense. To be fair, few can.

But right now we're getting the worst of Wentz because we can't protect him and he's not good enough to elevate any mediocrity around him.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I still don't believe we did our homework on this one.

The need was so much higher at QB then DE that even a trade down wouldn't of hurt so bad.

I'm not saying anything I didn't say in 2020, I was getting shut down left and right on how much Young was a sure thing and to just do it...yet here we are and Chargers seems pretty happy with what fell to them.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

****ing unbelievable that the Giants are 3-1.

Trust me this will equal out.  Giants stink.  They are going nowhere fast.  On the other hand they will beat us twice, which is ok because I am hoping for Snyder gone, New Management, and the 1st overall at this point. 🤙

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I still don't believe we did our homework on this one.

The need was so much higher at QB then DE that even a trade down wouldn't of hurt so bad.

I'm not saying anything I didn't say in 2020, I was getting shut down left and right on how much Young was a sure thing and to just do it...yet here we are and Chargers seems pretty happy with what fell to them.

The idea that Dan would chuck Haskins after year 1, his pet draft pick who actually played his best at the end of the season -- the Giants-Eagles game, I think is a fantasy

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Trust me this will equal out.  Giants stink.  They are going nowhere fast.  On the other hand they will beat us twice, which is ok because I am hoping for Snyder gone, New Management, and the 1st overall at this point. 🤙

Giants continuing to win is good. If they finish 7-10 or 8-9, that takes them out of the running for a franchise QB in the draft and that may also convince them to extend D. Jones, which would be great news

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I hope so.  I hate seeing Danny Dimes succeed.  

Dunno, Saquon is killing it this year though.  They could be a surprise team.  I hope you're right though.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that Dan would chuck Haskins after year 1, his pet draft pick who actually played his best at the end of the season -- the Giants-Eagles game, I think is a fantasy

I think this context is literally forgotten at this point. This was two months before the world shut down for a couple years, people are just going based on text, not context.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I think this context is literally forgotten at this point. This was two months before the world shut down for a couple years, people are just going based on text, not context.

Agree and this is coming from a dude who really didn't like Haskins (RIP) as a player as that draft approached.

But Haskins had three things cooking for him that off season.

A.  He was Dan's guy, that was the dude he overruled his FO to take.

B.  His best games in his career were his last games that season so there was a narrative that he might be getting it

C.  Haskins built a narrative that off season that his work ethic issues were behind him -- he was posting videos and giving the vibe that he was a new man on that front

You add that Chase Young was a dominant college player.  The odds that they'd pass him over to double up on QB was extremely low.

Insiders said at the time that the FO LOVED Burrow.  But mixed on Herbert and Tua.  Supposedly in Carolina though Hurney loved Herbert according to Keim.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

After giving total control to Rivera?  A fantasy?