Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curtis Samuel in 2022?

Giddy4Gibson

Anything can happen, but there’s no reason to expect his injury to be a chronic issue. It was horrendous luck compounded by Rivera really wanting to get a weapon back on the field, and he never got close to 100%. 

The real question is can we utilize him like he was used during the most productive season of his career, the one that got him paid, which happened after Rivera and his staff left. Rivera’s staff had used him mostly as an extension of the run game ever since he was drafted, closer to the LOS, which wasn’t super efficient even though he flashed back then, and that’s what we’ve kinda seen in his limited snaps so far—but he was limited and not fulfilling the role they imagined when they signed him and worked all offseason, so who knows. After Rivera left CAR, they started using Samuel down field much more regularly and he flourished. I hope they have internalized that bc he was thought of as a bit of a disappointment his first few years in the league under Rivera’s staff. 

Either way, yeah he could get bit by the injury bug again and any self-respecting Washington fan is going to gravitate towards expecting the worst. It’s understandable and I won’t argue it. But there’s no real reason to think that’ll happen in this instance, it was bad luck. I’m much more concerned with the role they have planned for him and if it’s conducive to winning football games. That starts with finding a QB so we can see if Turner’s got the goods in any way. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, ntotoro said:

Do NFL players usually come back well from groin injuries? I can't remember any, but will accept optimism from examples... 🤣

Plenty, when they are far enough removed from it. Unless there’s some sort of tear (which isn’t the case with these guys who get annoyingly close to coming back and spend all season trying to ease back in properly and failing), but it’s a soft tissue injury that can just linger when it happens at the wrong time. Like a hammy or a quad strain, they are usually not chronic issues. 

• Like 4

It's terrible that between Samuel and Golladay for the NYG they got paid over 100 mil combined and between the two of them I don't know if they scored 1 TD or combined for 200 yds receiving? 

Who knows what we'll get out of Samuel? I know Taylor missed him greatly and that having him run crossing routes and catching WR screens would've been a big boost to Taylors growth and our offense as a whole. 

Yes, he's a legit pro receiver and my hope is that he comes back healthy and we use him exactly how the Niners use Deebo Samuel. They are similar players with similar talents. 

Losing both Samuel and Logan Thomas destroyed our offense this season...we need them both to bounce back and stay healthy.

• Like 2

Not to derail the thread with QB play, but is it not a valid question that with a full gambit of weapons I.e. Samuel, Thomas, McKissic, D. Brown, our current QBs are good enough for us to compete?  Not that we don’t need an upgrade, but we should be able to scheme and coach our way IF folks are healthy, no?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovemaskins said:

Not to derail the thread with QB play, but is it not a valid question that with a full gambit of weapons I.e. Samuel, Thomas, McKissic, D. Brown, our current QBs are good enough for us to compete?  Not that we don’t need an upgrade, but we should be able to scheme and coach our way IF folks are healthy, no?

I'd say against mediocre defenses, it'd be fine. Not so much Buffalo or a healthy Dallas. Heinicke doesn't have the arm, nor the accuracy to beat man coverage consistently, and Allen lacks any kind of pocket awareness.

:(

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lovemaskins said:

No, definitely not. Unless the D gets a lot better and we stay healthy across the board. We just can’t keep up with what we’re rolling out at QB, over a full season.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, OMacAttack said:

I'd say don't rely on him and find another option for WR2 if he stays healthy it's a bonus.

I definitely think we need help on offense regardless of Samuel’s status. You can’t just assume he’ll fix everything even if healthy, we need explosiveness and talent to go with whatever we do at QB. WR, TE (if Thomas’ rehab is questionable), RB. Whatever, we need weapons  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still have no idea how a strained groin can cost a pro player most of the offseason, as well as nearly an entire 17 game regular season. I mean, did he literally rip his groin off the bone and try to treat it with Robitussin? Is his personal trainer Deuce Gruden?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Treat him like Jordan Reed. Pretend he doesn't even exist on your roster and anything you get out of him is a bonus.

I can live with this. besides, we're not good enough to be turning ANYONE away just yet.

• Like 1