Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curtis Samuel in 2022?

Giddy4Gibson

Losing Samuel before the season was a big blow.  He is the fastest guy on the team and he was going to be how we got the safeties to move off of Terry and Logan Thomas and/or how we lightened up those boxes for the run game.

We've got a really good opportunity to draft a high end outside receiver talent in the first or second round this year, and that + getting Samuel back could be huge.  There are generally regarded to be eight WR prospects in the draft worthy of going top 50, and we have two picks in that range.  Half of them are absolute burners too: Williams is said to have low 4.3 maybe even 4.2 speed, and Dotson, Olave, and Metchie are all 4.3 guys.  If you put 4.3 speed on the field at three different spots and run an air raid with a lot of three and four verts, you're going to have corners and safeties playing back and you're going to simplify the reads and protections and you're going to get a lighter box.  Teams will have to respect that speed first and you get to dictate to the defense for a change.

Speed is transformative.  NFL corners have a totally different mentality when they don't respect your speed.  They are so much more aggressive and basically just sit on your underneath passing game and play downhill with abandon.  But speed puts the fear in them.  Samuel is a really important piece of the puzzle for us because of that, and we really need him to get healthy for the team to make a leap this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what he will bring but his start of his Washington Football/Commander playing career he had a groin injury in Training camp and never really saw the field that much. He hasn't played a full season except last season where he missed on game which was also his best one to date. He had a injured ankle which required surgery in 2017, his rookie year, which has been his only other injury. Also he had improved each of his last two years in Carolina. So I can see giving him one more year to prove he is worth keeping. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

“I’ve been training and working out, and I haven’t been limited to anything,” he said, via Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post. “I’ve been doing pretty much everything that I used to be able to do — running fast, cutting fast. I’m just feeling good overall, and I’m excited about it. This upcoming season, I got a lot of goals.”

In 2020, Samuel caught 77 passes for 851 yards for the Panthers, and he thinks he can beat that production with the Commanders.

“My main thing is to be available for my teammates — whatever I have to do to take care of my body and to make sure I’m out there,” Samuel said. “It’s kind of exciting to finally feel like myself again.”

On 2/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Curtis Samuel is fine.

His hamstring, on the other hand, is not.  And that's the problem.

I don't think he provides much next year and goes down as a big bust of a signing for us.

Samuel can’t afford that. If he has another season like last year, he’ll be cut and trying to secure prove-it deals for the rest of his career.

This is essentially a contract year for him…. to see if he gets to finish this contract and then play for his next contract (potentially his most lucrative).

And under these circumstances, I bet on the player. I’ve seen it too many times.

Which will be a real boon for the team to get his production and feel his impact.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

Samuel can’t afford that. If he has another season like last year, he’ll be cut and trying to secure prove-it deals for the rest of his career.

This is essentially a contract year for him…. to see if he gets to finish this contract and then play for his next contract (potentially his most lucrative).

And under these circumstances, I bet on the player. I’ve seen it too many times.

Which will be a real boon for the team to get his production and feel his impact.

Curtis Samuel, If I'm looking at this correctly, has earned $14 million in signing bonuses alone over the course of his career.  He's earned $4 million in salary.  

If he's done well with saving his money and investing properly, he can afford to do whatever he wants.  

33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Curtis Samuel, If I'm looking at this correctly, has earned $14 million in signing bonuses alone over the course of his career.  He's earned $4 million in salary.  

If he's done well with saving his money and investing properly, he can afford to do whatever he wants.  

Of course, he can retire right now. And yet he doesn’t. He’s never come across as a guy with poor habits and distracted with other focuses (unmotivated). No reason to think otherwise.

He has some pride. He’s going to want to comeback in a big way.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Curtis Samuel is fine.

His hamstring, on the other hand, is not.  And that's the problem.

I don't think he provides much next year and goes down as a big bust of a signing for us.

Isn't Samuel younger than Terry? And you're writing him off as a bust? Hamstrings can heal can they not?

On 3/31/2022 at 1:35 PM, Warhead36 said:

I want Samuel in that #3 slot/gadget role. He can really destroy defenses that way.

Imagine a McLaurin/Olave/Samuel WR trio. Speed speed speed.

Or....McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown? Is there a faster group in the NFL? We have an Olympic relay team in our WR room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Isn't Samuel younger than Terry? And you're writing him off as a bust? Hamstrings can heal can they not?

This team doesn't have a sterling track record of signing free agents and having them pan out.  Pardon me for being jaded. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Or....McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown? Is there a faster group in the NFL? We have an Olympic relay team in our WR room. 

Samuel is 25 so he is like a 2nd year guy and Terry is 26!

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

We've witnessed it firsthand with DJax.  Always came up big during contract years and/or in primetime games.  The rest of the games he made business decisions.  Not knocking him for gaming the system.  But Washington was right to let him go.  Plus, he was a liability on the field on a run play.  He wasn't gonna block anybody and defenses knew it.    

42 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

We've witnessed it firsthand with DJax.  Always came up big during contract years and/or in primetime games.  The rest of the games he made business decisions.  Not knocking him for gaming the system.  But Washington was right to let him go.  Plus, he was a liability on the field on a run play.  He wasn't gonna block anybody and defenses knew it.    

And it would be a very smart business decision for him to show up this year. So I’d wager he will. For the next 2 seasons at least.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I would put us 9th in the NFL.  I would rank the speed of the skill groups this way:

1 - Seahawks

2 - Eagles

3 - Cardinals

4 - Bears

5 - Panthers/Jets

7 - Lions

8 - Dolphins

The speed on offense for those eight teams is ridiculous.  Seattle doesn't have a single slow guy in their offense other than Chris Carson, who is their third string RB now.  They obviously target speed as their primary focus when picking backs and receivers.  The Eagles basically don't have any slow players on offense other than Zach Pascall, and their backfield speed is ridiculous.  Fastest backfield in the league probably, between Hurts/Sanders/Scott/Gainwell.  Their OL is really fast too.  That's how they beat you with a run-centric offense.  They space the field horizontally in a way that is unique in the NFL right now.

Cardinals are probably #1 overall in WR and QB speed, but their RBs are slow and that's where they would lose ground in a hypothetical relay against the offensive skill groups of the league.  But they would absolutely smoke all of the other teams except Chicago and Philly on the QB leg.  Chicago has ridiculous speed with Fields and Mooney and Velus Jones, and Pringle and St. Brown are fast too.  Our RB1 is way faster than theirs, but they've got some speed behind Montgomery on their depth chart.

The Panthers have track guys at pretty much each RB and WR spot, and the Jets clearly stockpiled speed too.  Panthers would actually do pretty well on the QB leg if they started Corral.  Lions have brought in a ton of team speed in the last two offseasons and they are really explosive now.  Miami has a one-two punch with their WRs that is going to be ridiculous, but we'd definitely be able to gain ground on them after they got through Hill and Waddle (unless they bring Will Fuller back).

I think we're 9th, but maybe could beat Miami on depth.  Terry and Samuel would lose the first two legs but Dotson and Brown and Gibby would catch us up.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:40 AM, HigSkin said:

“I’ve been training and working out, and I haven’t been limited to anything,” he said, via Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post. “I’ve been doing pretty much everything that I used to be able to do — running fast, cutting fast. I’m just feeling good overall, and I’m excited about it. This upcoming season, I got a lot of goals.”

In 2020, Samuel caught 77 passes for 851 yards for the Panthers, and he thinks he can beat that production with the Commanders.

“My main thing is to be available for my teammates — whatever I have to do to take care of my body and to make sure I’m out there,” Samuel said. “It’s kind of exciting to finally feel like myself again.”

Pro athletes know when they're 100% healthy. The quotes show he's got no limitations. I'd imagine him to be very careful to continue the diet, hydration, and warmup rituals that have allowed him to progress and strengthen his fast twitch fibers that were damaged. It's really difficult to get back to 100% when speedsters tear interior muscle. Can't tape that up! Have to shut down then rehab scar tissue and it can be a year long setback. No reason to doubt a guy when he says he has no limitations = 100%

On 2/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, Going Commando said:

Losing Samuel before the season was a big blow.

Well, it's like we've got 2 NEW weapons for Wentz. I'd expect 2nd year Dyami Brown to show us something as well.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1