Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: No Effort Version - Dallas vs. WFT II

KDawg

Just now, TMK9973 said:

I don't think effort was the issue.  These are real human's.  

Over the past week many of them have been hit with Covid (Who, even those with mild and no symptoms report days of tiredness and easily winded).

They saw a teammate have a major car accident, be in the hospital, and the passenger killed.  

They were physically outmatched and esp on defense, out coached.  

The effort obviously dropped as the game went on because, well, they are human.  Hard to still go 100% physically when nothing is going right.  

The monday night massacre 11 years ago against the Eagles is a example of a team that gave NO effort. This team last night just got their ass whooped after a physical and emotional 10 days.  

Watch some of the linemen’s attempts at blocking. Watch some of the zone drops by the backers. Yes, these are lesser skilled players. Understood. But they are also in the NFL. The best of the best. The “scrubs” were standouts on their HS and college teams. They have enough skill to get into a good kick or drop into a zone or use a move to get off of a block. 

I DO agree that it was a long ten days. Lots of stuff happening. Covid and injuries taking their toll. That’s part of it. 

But I’m not satisfied with the effort I saw on the field. Maybe you are. And you know what? That’s fine. But it wasn’t a good effort in my eyes. Which is why it was what it was. 

Certainly wasn’t everyone. But too many gave half ass performances. And if that was them actually trying, some of them being our actual starters, we have a very large issue.

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

And if that was them actually trying, some of them being our actual starters, we have a very large issue.

This is what's key for me.

I have no interest in watching this game over again to determine who is giving effort and who isn't.  But if we had starters out there half-assing it, that's obviously a problem.  But if its dudes off the street, what can anyone really do about that?  And is it lack of effort or just simply beyond slow to react appearing to be a lack of effort?  But either way, does it even really matter, as they won't (hopefully) be here next season.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

One thing is, I dont wanna hear about who we didn't have.  

We didn't have to win last night, but we needed to acquit ourselves better than that.  Couldn't even be competitive for a quarter.

The Saints have a host of important people out tonight, I bet they don't get blown out by 42.

Exactly.  Everyone in the league has Covid issues and it's not an excuse at this point.  This team has quit and the fight between Allen and Payne may been the tipping point and everything just boiled over.  

44 minutes ago, kleese said:

Eh, I think TH played hard. He was just awful. David Mayo looked like he was jogging out there. Was he literally taking his big chance in the NFL and not trying hard or is he just horrible and probably shouldn’t be on an NFL for more than a play or two per game? 

You know you are in trouble when Mayo is on your roster all year no less a starter.

I recall when they signed him and I scoffed, other posters said-oh is just a roster filler , fodder, adding some competition. They purposely signed him as a backup at our weakest position, sad

There's so many things going wrong with the team, but I think it's a really noticeable trend to see that when Scherff is out, our O-line is getting destroyed. The rotating door of centers certainly hasn't helped, but I worry that what we see when Scherff is hurt is what we'll see if Scherff walks.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

There's so many things going wrong with the team, but I think it's a really noticeable trend to see that when Scherff is out, our O-line is getting destroyed. The rotating door of centers certainly hasn't helped, but I worry that what we see when Scherff is hurt is what we'll see if Scherff walks.

I saw a stat the other day that says we have not won a game without Scherff in like 3 seasons.  

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I mean that's what happens when you lose an All Pro caliber player. There is always going to be a big drop off.

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You know you are in trouble when Mayo is on your roster all year no less a starter.

I recall when they signed him and I scoffed, other posters said-oh is just a roster filler , fodder, adding some competition. They purposely signed him as a backup at our weakest position, sad

Yep. Part of what pisses me off is that, yes, guys like Milano and David signed extensions prior to FA starting but they did not take a shot at other LBs who had not played for them in Carolina. As a result, they missed out on guys like Perryman and DeVondre Campbell

1 minute ago, method man said:

Yep. Part of what pisses me off is that, yes, guys like Milano and David signed extensions prior to FA starting but they did not take a shot at other LBs who had not played for them in Carolina. As a result, they missed out on guys like Perryman and DeVondre Campbell

Yeah once Milano, David and even Morrow had resigned, I thought next in line would have been Perryman...not Mayo 🤮

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Heinicke stunk. I'm saying that outright so that no one here tries to twist what I'm about to say as defending him. I'm not. This is a separate yet related issue:

Our offensive line was terrible. I saw some plays where our tackles barely even attempted to get in the way. Interior is obviously depleted. But it was a jailbreak on every play. The OL was terrible last night. Even for what it was.

Give some credit to the Dallas front but there were literally plays where our OL barely got out of their stance. That is unacceptable. 

Right?  This is the biggest thing for me, there was NO EFFORT TO LITERALLY MOVE INCHES OVER TO STAND IN THE WAY-ISH.

This did not seem like a Rivera team, I don't know WTF this was.

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But I’m not satisfied with the effort I saw on the field. Maybe you are. And you know what? That’s fine. But it wasn’t a good effort in my eyes. Which is why it was what it was. 

Certainly wasn’t everyone. But too many gave half ass performances. And if that was them actually trying, some of them being our actual starters, we have a very large issue.

Yeah - on a couple of replays Leno appeared to give Haynesworth-level effort. 

It was ugly and embarrassing. Not sure if the players on D don't understand the scheme or are not capable of executing it, but guys were running wide open all over the field. On the other side of the ball, our guys (at least the ones being thrown the ball) had at least 1 if not 2 or 3 guys draped over them. It's no wonder Terry leads the league in contested catches. He's never actually open. lol 

Heini had another bad showing. Whatever they or he has done to try and be "traditional" has tanked his future, imo. He didn't have much time to do anything, but the play calling and execution was poor at best. He needs to be back to not knowing what he's doing, playing like he's on the playground, to be effective. And even then, the arm isn't there. Who coulda guessed it wouldn't work out for the Skins?  lol 

We were a 6 win team last year, were it not for Philthy essentially forfeiting the last game and putting in Sudfield to spite the Giants. For whatever reason, we seem to match up well against the Bucs, which has led people to an inflated view of our team.

We are a reincarnation of Jeff Fisher's Rams teams - teams with some big names but a weak overall roster that will consistently finish just below .500.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

It was ugly and embarrassing. Not sure if the players on D don't understand the scheme or are not capable of executing it, but guys were running wide open all over the field. On the other side of the ball, our guys (at least the ones being thrown the ball) had at least 1 if not 2 or 3 guys draped over them. It's no wonder Terry leads the league in contested catches. He's never actually open. lol 

Regarding the D, we had quite a few guys off the street starting. We literally did not have a single one of our regular starting LBs.

Regarding McLaurin, I think defenses have figured out that the routes our receivers can run are limited due to Heinicke's arm and are playing coverages to account for that. McLaurin did have a step on Diggs on that first pass interception but you need a QB that can make that downfield throw.

Even Davante Adams got completely blanked the one game he played without Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Regarding the D, we had quite a few guys off the street starting. We literally did not have a single one of our regular starting LBs.

Regarding McLaurin, I think defenses have figured out that the routes our receivers can run are limited due to Heinicke's arm and are playing coverages to account for that. McLaurin did have a step on Diggs on that first pass interception but you need a QB that can make that downfield throw.

Even Davante Adams got completely blanked the one game he played without Aaron Rodgers.

Excellent points.  Also, our starting LB's suck, too.  So like getting the understudies for ****ty actors is just, wow.

The refs should be added to no effort. Early drive when the Dalass center was way down field on a pass and not called. There were holds literally every play.  I get it they called it the same both ways but it was ugly.  Oh yeah and the penalty on McCain but nothing when Dalass leads with the helmet on our quarterback.

I'm not saying it was all on the refs but they did not try to enforce anything in this game. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't disagree with anything you said. Our D looks like ass regardless who's out there, far too often, though. Same thing on O. Someone is hurt or a replacement shows promise but can't  (insert random excuse here).. It's always something. Whole team is basically ass.. Build around Way and Slye.. lol 

52 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I thought Sweitzer was a good fill in for him (and at center), but when you’re starting Charles and Ismael side by side (not to mention Cosmi, who needs a lot of developing as a pass blocker) against a very good pass rush… things get ugly.

Generally speaking though, our oline is a concern going into next year.  At best they’re good, if we find a LT, but we’re primed to have next to no depth… with a rook behind center.

Saw someone on here say Philly had the same amount of days between that Tuesday night game and yesterday and they still played great.

yeah, but they were facing the giants led by Jake Fromm. JAKE FROMM!! I’m willing to bet if our games were reversed (Dallas playing Philly yesterday, and us playing the giants), we would’ve won, and the eagles would’ve been KILLED by Dallas. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

The coaches have to shoulder some of the blame because it's their job to build the roster, install the schemes and design the plays. I would give Rivera at least another year, I'm on the fence regarding Turner, but I would sack Del Rio immediately. I think he is a bad coach and in way over his head.

If this was September, sure.  But now?  No way.  This isn't the roster the coaches/FO built.

We had zero linebackers against Dallas with any playing time this season, including some brand new to the team.  No Bostic, Holcomb, Collins, Davis, Hudson, or Jared Norris.  That's I think all 6 LB's that were on the opening day roster.  Mayo might have been as well, but Kunascyzk, Eifler, and De'Jon Harris weren't.  So how do you install schemes and design plays after a Tuesday game, with just 4 days, with several players such as Holcomb and Davis suddenly go on the Covid list?  Davis gets prep as the starter within the 4 days, then suddenly before the game he's ineligible...and that's the coaches fault?

The corner group had Fuller but then who else?  Did Danny Johnson and Darryl Roberts even make the opening day roster?  DJ Hayden just got brought on board.  I mean, we're missing Torry McTyer, Benjamin St Juste, and William Jackson.  

On offense, I think 5 of the Top 6 highest paid players are all on IR.  Scherff has played but he's the only one.  Fitzpatrick and Samuel basically haven't played this season.  Roullier/Logan Thomas/Schweitzer are the next 3 highest paid, and they have played some but are all on IR now.  After that is I think Charles Leno.

This isn't exactly the roster that was built.  Injuries + Covid have changed everything.

I think a fairer critique of the coaches is lack of a scheme/plan to make Heinicke better than he is.  He stunk against Dallas 2 weeks ago, then this game starts and he looks just as terrible as before.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

One thing is, I dont wanna hear about who we didn't have.  

We didn't have to win last night, but we needed to acquit ourselves better than that.  Couldn't even be competitive for a quarter.

The Saints have a host of important people out tonight, I bet they don't get blown out by 42.

In fairness to that, Davis Mills might be better than all 5 of the 1st round rookie QB's.  Way too early to tell, but it's an argument going forward.