Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Actually it's a smart move by Heinicke.  Falcons have a run-heavy offense, decent O-line, a great TE to throw to and at least one passable WR.  The contract seems front-loaded, which is also good for Heinicke, because he'll have made a nice chunk of cash before Atlanta decides to move on.

It's probably better for Washington that they can't default to signing Heinicke as a backup.  (Top of the list of reasons, I'm not certain he'd fit what Bieniemy's  offense might be looking for from its QB.). In any case, I am appreciative that Heinicke did try to give Washington the best he could muster, given his level of talent.  (I still wished he'd run a little more often, but do understand how some folks might have been worried he'd get injured -- which wouldn't have been a good thing considering the QB depth behind Heinicke wasn't that great.)

Right now for Howell's backup I'm leaning to someone like Dalton, or Brissett (if affordable) or even an old vet like Flacco. (Bridgewater seems like he'd fit, but seems kind of fragile.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Can't wait to get another loser in here? Hopefully Howell can stay on his feet.

Who cares? Heinicke is also a loser despite the fake legend that fans have built around him.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

If you can't beat Jacoby Brissett in a competition, that's a huge red flag

That’s true of most of the guys available for us to sign, but not really Brissett imo. He’s solid. It wouldn’t be at all surprising if he beat out a young QB going into the season and then started for at least a few weeks. 

Because this is Howell’s second NFL offseason, even despite learning a new offense I think he’d still beat him out though. And I think he’d be given more snaps and the competition would overall be slanted in his favor imo. 

But Brissett isn’t total garbage like many of these names. 

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Good thing Taylor was a math major so he can count all that money.  Good for him.

Too bad he wasn't good enough to get a job teaching and afford his own apartment and couldn't calculate how to throw accurate passes often enough. 😉

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Too bad he wasn't good enough to get a job teaching and afford his own apartment and couldn't calculate how to throw accurate passes often enough. 😉

10 Mil a year for TH is nuts. And I like the guy but my god was atl bidding against themselves? His agent did a crazy good job there. I would have never gone over 2-3 mil a year…

11 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

10 Mil a year for TH is nuts. And I like the guy but my god was atl bidding against themselves? His agent did a crazy good job there. I would have never gone over 2-3 mil a year…

His agent should be inducted into the agent Hall of Fame. He parlayed a few crazy fluke type plays into a potential $20 Mil contract.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I really could care less who the backup is as long as they are cheap.  I’m a “bad fan” that would prefer to lose for draft position as opposed to win enough to miss out on the playoffs and draft later.  It’s rare that I see value in moral victories.

It’s been Howell or bust for me.  I want him to have a long leash with every opportunity to develop.  

My only real qualms with bringing back TH were related to the fanbases obsession with him, and more recently - what his old coach shared with the public.  I’m not sure how folks can still have this aww shucks, such a great guy opinion of him after that.  The way he refused to sacrifice his body in conjunction with those comments  made it abundantly clear that he was very much about Heinicke.  I don’t even really blame him for that, I just can’t champion him for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Agreed, but for all my reasons to be as negative on heinie as I've been it's not "his fault" he's hit a surprisingly big payoff, it's the nature of the landscape.

Btw, fwiw to any member who's been engaged here, I'm aware of things about th per the image he has here that also fuels some of my negativity towards him that I keep to myself.

I don't mention this to seek any support from those who find my takes unpalatable, just letting peeps know I don't come to such positions willy nilly or uninformed or inexplicably biased.

My main thing though is I simply have a strong and negative take on what I see him do on the field, overall, in his qb play, even for a backup.

And I may have a higher standard for what I want out of a backup than most and indeed it may not be pragmatically defensible, but it's how I would roll even were I a GM.

Fortunately for all we fans I'll never be a GM. 😀 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Minshew would be ok.  He has a much better arm than TH and he has some wheels so that would be ok and he's only 27/28.  

Yeah, I know Kool watched him more closely than I did in Philly, cuz I didn't care about that, but otherwise I had a favorable ranking on minshew as a b/u qb. I still do, but again, I didn't track his performance in Philly closely.

To what I had seen, I certainly had him well above heinies level and, sadly, even above Wentz at the start of last season.

The backup situation had looked grim to me this next season unless we could do minshew, Brissett or maybe a couple others whether we stuck with th or went with the three to five other scrub level dudes that might be available.

Mayfield wants to start and is aggressive in his desire to compete for that role so I hadn't seriously considered him.

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

Yeah, I know Kool watched him more closely than I did in Philly, cuz I didn't care about that, but otherwise I had a favorable ranking on minshew as a b/u qb. I still do, but again, I didn't track his performance in Philly closely.

To what I had seen, I certainly had him well above heinies level and, sadly, even above Wentz at the start of last season. I think the backup situation had looked grim to me this next season unless we could do minshew, Brissett or maybe a couple others whether we stuck with th or went with the three to five other scrub level dudes that might be available. Mayfield wants to start and is aggressive in his desire to compete for that role so I hadn't seriously considered him.

Spot on, Jumbo.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

That’s true of most of the guys available for us to sign, but not really Brissett imo. He’s solid. It wouldn’t be at all surprising if he beat out a young QB going into the season and then started for at least a few weeks. 

Because this is Howell’s second NFL offseason, even despite learning a new offense I think he’d still beat him out though. And I think he’d be given more snaps and the competition would overall be slanted in his favor imo. 

But Brissett isn’t total garbage like many of these names. 

Any half decent, experienced vet will beat out Howell if its an actual competition. It probably won't be. Until the losing starts.  Maybe he will be a late round surprise. But this organization tends not to actually like those when we find one.

I don't really see the point of TH being on the roster anyway if I'm being honest. I enjoyed his play sometimes, so I'm not a hater at all. But seriously the point in all this is to find a QB with the talent to take us to the next level, right? If its not the young guy we have now, then we are going to have to draft (or make a massive trade for) one anyway. 

Worst case scenario for us is Howell being trash and losing 15 games this season. But then we are in prime position to draft someone or trade the pick. What ****s that all up is TH winning 5 or 6 games for us again. I don't know why any of you would want to sign up for that possibility again. TH does nothing for us long term. Yall gonna have to get over it. If he was so ****ing awesome He would be in KC as a backup or something as often as Mahomes gets hurt. 

• Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Hey man...TH was good enough 50% of time!

• Haha 1