Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/25/2024-nfl-draft-jayden-daniels-best-quarterback

The NFL Draft’s Best QB Just Landed With the Commanders

Washington needs to treat Jayden Daniels like the gift that he is to this franchise, handing them the second chance of a lifetime. 

[excerpt]

This is a plea for the Commanders to avoid destructive internal politics. This is a plea for the Commanders to avoid a rapid turnover at the head coaching and offensive coordinator spots (the Detroit Lions have held onto Ben Johnson for two consecutive offseasons; the Commanders, even with success on Daniels’s part, should do what they can to keep Kliff Kingsbury installed). This is a plea for the Commanders to allow for organic growth and progress in lieu of clumsily piling on high-priced wide receivers to microwave the process. This is a plea for the Commanders to find the Jayden Daniels offense. This is a plea for the Commanders to avoid the quest for personal credit, avoid disparaging the quarterback anonymously to reporters in order to save careers if Daniels struggles (kind of like they did to Johnson when he decided not to be the team’s head coach this past winter), avoid his personal life becoming his public life. This is a plea to treat Daniels like the gift that he is to this franchise and to understand that, while everyone has a job to do, the Commanders’ main priority is to not allow that stinging embarrassment, that all-consuming indifference and apathy, that forget-about-it hopelessness to begin coursing through the fanbase again. 

It’s possible, especially now that the planets have aligned, that the Bears may have passed on the draft’s best quarterback and handed the Commanders the second chance of a lifetime. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Conn said:

We’ll have potentially many backups over the years, I hope they’re all great. That’s not why you’re attached to Howell. He didn’t work out, we have a new QB. I think it makes sense to not dwell on the guy who was bad 

Don't really agree on that interpretation. It was not about working out or not. He was fine based on the metrics when the team was actually trying before it quit in November. I think this wasn't about Howell being a backup that threatened a QB, I think this was about Howell having 2 years left on his deal and there was a demand in the league for him (multiple offers in draft capital). The brass preferred to add more ammo as a part of the tear down rebuild, rather than use him to backstop their selection. Nothing wrong with that...Howell's from a prior admin, he was gone by '26, now we turned a 4th into a 6th and a 6th into a 5th, that's what they wanted, they could find backup help in the draft or FA. I don't think it had much to do with the new QB being soft and crying if there was a good backup around, I think it was purely about draft capital, and Peters wanting as much of it as humanly possible to help the rebuild. Short term assets like Howell's 2 year deal werent as value to him (or to trade value charts). Makes sense to some extent. Me personally, if I'd known we were taking Daniels, I'd have kept Howell because I think his floor is higher, but if we were drafting Maye, I'd have been fine w/trading him, but I get why Peters wanted to just get some capital in, and there's no arguing having 5 picks today (maybe more if we trade down) is fantastic for our long term goals. 

5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I had the same prediction as you.

Thiiiis close to nailing it.

Yeah, I killed it in draft props at William Hill, but its not like I was genius or anything, most of the early builts were chalk, and the broader bets I made, like on guys going late 1st were easy hits. It was a great draft to lay down bets on draft props, needless to say, especially on QB's, WR's, OT's, and the first 6. 

6 hours ago, profusion said:

The entire focus has to be on developing JD. Having last year's starter on the bench behind him only serves as a distraction.

Mariota's actually a very good choice for a backup. He'll be able to step in well enough if needed, but he is firmly in the backup category. Everyone's roles are clear.

Getting a third-round pick for a fifth-round guy seems like pretty good business, I'd say.

This just seems silly to me. These guys are big boys, but I get why they preferred more draft capital, this was the 31st best team in a 32 team league, draft capital is necessary to change that positioning. 

3 hours ago, Veretax said:

People comparing daniels to RG 3 or Randal Cunningham Let me throw a few more names out there:

Steve McNair, McNabb, Vince Young.

HIs passing arm has me thinking Warren moon, but I don't remember moon being that mobile

Moon definitely had a much better arm than Daniels, Cunningham too. McNabb's arm was definitely worse. McNair had a howizter, Vince Young was just crazy inaccurate, I can't remember how he was in terms of strength. 

4 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

This is now abundantly clear, and it provides now two data points in terms of analyzing Peters' quarterback assessment skills as we watch what happens going forward. In other words if Daniels and McCarthy turn out pretty good while Maye fails, he looks really good. If Maye emerges really good and the other two not so much, it's a pretty scathing indictment of his analysis. Most likely it'll be somewhere in between.

I dont think he has much history of hitting to begin with, and I'll be honest, its generalizing, but warranted, I dont think any of these guys are anything beyond kind of "lucky" and "unlucky" after they tier out guys. the hits are seemingly random, not linked to any coherent philosophy or metric, though I think a lot of busts collect a wide variety of metrics (like late college career breakout) etc. 

28 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/25/2024-nfl-draft-jayden-daniels-best-quarterback

Washington needs to treat Jayden Daniels like the gift that he is to this franchise, handing them the second chance of a lifetime. 

[excerpt]

This is a plea for the Commanders to avoid destructive internal politics. This is a plea for the Commanders to avoid a rapid turnover at the head coaching and offensive coordinator spots (the Detroit Lions have held onto Ben Johnson for two consecutive offseasons; the Commanders, even with success on Daniels’s part, should do what they can to keep Kliff Kingsbury installed). This is a plea for the Commanders to allow for organic growth and progress in lieu of clumsily piling on high-priced wide receivers to microwave the process. This is a plea for the Commanders to find the Jayden Daniels offense. This is a plea for the Commanders to avoid the quest for personal credit, avoid disparaging the quarterback anonymously to reporters in order to save careers if Daniels struggles (kind of like they did to Johnson when he decided not to be the team’s head coach this past winter), avoid his personal life becoming his public life. This is a plea to treat Daniels like the gift that he is to this franchise and to understand that, while everyone has a job to do, the Commanders’ main priority is to not allow that stinging embarrassment, that all-consuming indifference and apathy, that forget-about-it hopelessness to begin coursing through the fanbase again. 

It’s possible, especially now that the planets have aligned, that the Bears may have passed on the draft’s best quarterback and handed the Commanders the second chance of a lifetime. 

Pathetic piece of writing.  

Daniels might be lucky to be here, maybe we’re lucky to have him. As it stands right now we were bad enough to draft him, he was good enough to be worthy of the 2nd overall pick. It’ll all play out. But the sniveling unworthiness hinted at in this article is tough to stomach. Not to mention the snide, incorrect interpretation of the Ben Johnson situation. 

Also the part about acquiring a veteran WR to “microwave the process” is ****ing stupid. It’s a proven way to help the development of a young QB. This writer has strange hangups that they’re projecting into their writing, and lots and lots of references to Snyder-era viper pit idiocy (more understandable). 

I cringe at the idea of someone from Daniels’ camp reading this. In fact it reads like it was written by someone who didn’t really want him to come here, deciding to be magnanimous enough to give us a chance. 

The timbre of that entire piece is that we’re an amateur outfit, not good enough to deserve Jayden Daniels, who by all rights should have gone to a better franchise. Ignores a lot of what has happened in the last year of this franchise’s history and is frankly disrespectful. But most importantly implies that Daniels has earned some deferential treatment. Everyone has something to prove in this situation. Nobody in this organization has a reputation for throwing people under the bus, but people in Daniels’ camp do. Strange framing. 

If the vibe of this piece was supposed to be hopeful and “a second chance at salvation” (I assume RG3 was the first chance, in this writer’s estimation?) then it missed the mark. It’s extremely patronizing, in a wheedling, annoying way. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

[excerpt]

Did RG3 ghostwrite this? Lame article. It’s a whole new regime and there are no indications they will make any of these mistakes. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Its sounds like we agree, then. My argument is that you could be wrong about what these numbers mean. There may be more to it. You argue the exact same thing about NFL Pros. 

I'm not sure why its causing consternation for me to say that I think your numbers lack context and that the team agrees with me. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong yet. You could be right, and they overcome it anyway. The only thing we know is we don't know for sure. We are in agreement are we not?

Kinda, except in how it seems we interpret what's available, but on the latter two points, yes, definitely. I have no idea whats gonna happen, that's probably the only thing I'm most certain of. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in Dynasty.

Caleb and Jayden are obviously gonna go 1st and 2nd off the board in 2QB amongst the QB's, but how do people handle Maye landing in a dumpster fire, JJ landing in heaven, Penix landing behind Cousins, the Donkey's reaching like crazy w/Nix....I'm gonna have a lot of hard decisions to make as I play in four 2QB leagues and am probably gonna add a 5th this offseason. 

2 hours ago, CTskins said:

Don't fool yourself. The Patriots have had "several decades of turmoil."

They made five playoff appearances from their formation in 1960 to the time Kraft bought the franchise (Jan. '94). The only true oasis was 1984-'86, including a surprise Super Bowl run.

Between '89 and '95, they were 4th or 5th in their division 6x winning 2 games or less twice. Then there was also the Lisa Olsen Scandal around the same time, Hart Lee Dykes incident(s), Victor Kiam and Sam Orthwein wanting to relocate, and various other "bad luck" events that plagued the franchise. All the while playing home games in a "stadium" that some Texas High School programs would go, "Nah, we're good."

The better tackle football in those days took place in the gravel parking lots.

The problem is, while they were pretending they were the unluckiest fans on earth because the Red Sox lost in '86, and the Pats were always garbage, they had the Celtics winning a bazillion titles, and the Burins winning or contending every decade...they were spoiled rotten in multiple sports and never were an unlucky city, Cleveland, now that is an unlucky city. Boston is just a bunch of self-indulgent, entitled, neurotic NY relationship having --- hats. I thought NY fans were bad enough, but Boston fans might have them trumped. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of said:

"Enjoy the movie, sir"

'you too!'

Nice!!

I pull out Moosen and Boxen a lot. Not sure why lol. 

10 minutes ago, Conn said:

Pathetic piece of writing.  

Daniels might be lucky to be here, maybe we’re lucky to have him. As it stands right now we were bad enough to draft him, he was good enough to be worthy of the 2nd overall pick. It’ll all play out. But the sniveling unworthiness hinted at in this article is tough to stomach. Not to mention the snide, incorrect interpretation of the Ben Johnson situation. 

Also the part about acquiring a veteran WR to “microwave the process” is ****ing stupid. It’s a proven way to help the development of a young QB. This writer has strange hangups that they’re projecting into their writing, and lots and lots of references to Snyder-era viper pit idiocy (more understandable). 

I cringe at the idea of someone from Daniels’ camp reading this. In fact it reads like it was written by someone who didn’t really want him to come here, deciding to be magnanimous enough to give us a chance. 

The timbre of that entire piece is that we’re an amateur outfit, not good enough to deserve Jayden Daniels, who by all rights should have gone to a better franchise. Ignores a lot of what has happened in the last year of this franchise’s history and is frankly disrespectful. But most importantly implies that Daniels has earned some deferential treatment. Everyone has something to prove in this situation. Nobody in this organization has a reputation for throwing people under the bus, but people in Daniels’ camp do. Strange framing. 

If the vibe of this piece was supposed to be hopeful and “a second chance at salvation” (I assume RG3 was the first chance, in this writer’s estimation?) then it missed the mark. 

I think si.com has pretty much folded since being acquired by those ---- blanks a few years ago. it's basically hamster toilet paper at this point. All the great writers and reporters for the most part have left the past decade or so and especially since the new ownership came in a few years ago. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I liked Daniels's press conference. He's not a polished public speaker by any means but he's real and authentic. I respect that.

I agree, and he talked about all the work he wants to do repeatedly, it doesn’t seem like an act. I think he’s a football junkie.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Jayden is chatting with Logan Paulsen and Smoot and he’s wearing sunglasses inside, again. I saw him doing it before also. 

I wonder if he has any light sensitivity or social anxiety or something. No judgement, just sort of interesting.

I wonder if he wears a tinted visor. That would look bad ass and be super marketable along with the VR stuff to make him seem like some sort of cyborg.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I wonder if he wears a tinted visor. That would look bad ass and be super marketable along with the VR stuff to make him seem like some sort of cyborg.

He used a clear one in college.

I luv the tinted visor look, but the NFL cracked down hard w/ the emphasis on concussions. They want team medical reps to have a clear view of a players eyes when they get to them to help evaluate them. I believe you have to have a medical exemption to wear tinted visors on gameday now.

Sux, but can't exactly be mad at the NFL on this one. Safety makes sense here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

He used a clear one in college.

I luv the tinted visor look, but the NFL cracked down hard w/ the emphasis on concussions. They want team medical reps to have a clear view of a players eyes when they get to them to help evaluate them. I believe you have to have a medical exemption to wear tinted visors on gameday now.

Sux, but can't exactly be mad at the NFL on this one. Safety makes sense here.

Oh THATS why they did that. Huh. I thought they were just jerks. That makes so much sense. 

• Thumb up 1

I mean it was obvious people were going to be irrationally pissed based off Maye supporters absolutely trashing posters or press people if it was suggested that we take Daniels or that he was a better QB prospect 

That has been perplexing from The start because people are acting like we took a crappy QB prospect and one instead of a Peyton Manning / Andrew Luck type coming out…..

it’s like no it was just Drake Maye who is full of flaws as well 

• Like 1

This may have been discussed somewhere but will he be holding a clipboard his first season or thrown in immediately to take over as starter? I can't imagine they would try and start him right off the bat would they?

13 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

This may have been discussed somewhere but will he be holding a clipboard his first season or thrown in immediately to take over as starter? I can't imagine they would try and start him right off the bat would they?

Why wouldn't they?

Assuming he's ready of course.

On 4/6/2024 at 7:43 PM, Whiskeypeet said:

We can disagree here, its good. I think Penix has a higher floor and ceiling.  But don't disagree with the injury risk, can't be dismissed. Notwithstanding, he's been healthy for 2 straight years and might have that behind him.  Nonetheless, the injuries happened so they must be considered. No way i would take him at 2.

Falcons redeemed!?!!?  

Now that Day 2 is in the books, just chuckling a bit that some people thought Tez Walker would actually go in the 1st round. He’s now a 4th rounder at best. 

Maye was throwing to absolute bums. 

Anyway, I’m all aboard the Daniels train now.  

Hail. 

17 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Way #5 was actually the last jersey I bought... lol

Hold onto it!!!

If JD5 goes on to have a hall-of-fame career (shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll be among the stars yada yada) and the number 5 gets permanently associated with him, it'll be a valuable collectors item and conversation piece one day.

If not, you can always use it to wash your car.

XXXXXX

10 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

My Prediction:

The official line will be-- "We're gonna have a competition, best man wins the job!"

Reality check-- Unless, Jayden struggles and is completely over his head learning the offense (which I doubt) he will be on the field from day one, but for competitive purposes they will delay the actual announcement as long as they can.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Anyone in this thread get the first 5 exactly correct?  I had the right players to all 5 teams - just didn't get the trade at 5 correct.

You clearly beat me. I don't know about the rest of the forum. Everybody keeps their own score.

Well done!