Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I would have to say that everything about Daniels post draft has been great. I reckon he’s come across really well. Seems like a real pro, hard worker, committed. Popular figure. Peters and Quinn completely sold on him.

Very positive.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I would have to say that everything about Daniels post draft has been great. I reckon he’s come across really well. Seems like a real pro, hard worker, committed. Popular figure. Peters and Quinn completely sold on him.

Very positive.

the pick is in

now win

On 4/26/2024 at 10:44 AM, Veretax said:

Speaking of which who was the last notable QB to wear #5 for Washington?

Was it McNabb?

I'm having Heath Shuler flashbacks. Lets hope this highly drafted QB works out a lot better than Shuler did.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/27/2024 at 3:03 AM, CommanderInTheRye said:

You clearly beat me. I don't know about the rest of the forum. Everybody keeps their own score.

Well done!

This was a chalk opening before people started taking crazy pills.

If the top 6 stayed at slot, all 6 were projected to take who was taken, the only exception was Alt, but that was because Vegas was betting San Diego would trade down then take Alt, all of the first 6 were projected to go there if no movement happened. 

I was briefly feeling like a genius until I realized that odds were, all 6 of those guys would go there, unless anyone jumped into the top 6 (or the Giants moved up from 6). I tend to think Daniels going #2 kind of locked up the slotting, no mad rush for Daniels, and Patriots never got the godfather offer to push them off Maye. 

Much more impressive would be hitting a wacky draft top 6, this wasn't one of those. Will be interesting to see what happens w/it being chalk, with the fullness of time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Schefter basically confirming that EVERYTHING Keim suggested right after the Top Golf outing was spot on.

I remember in one of his podcasts around that time his co-host (whose name eludes me atm) kept bringing up, “it’s down to Daniels vs Maye”, and every single time he brought up Maye, Keim would delicately say something like—“ I would pay attention to McCarthy, or I’m not so sure they like Maye as much as the fan base, or I wouldn’t be surprised if their top two are Daniels and McCarthy.”

All of it seemed to fly over the head of the other guy, because he just kept saying Daniels vs Maye no matter how many times Keim tried to let him know he knew otherwise, without outright saying it.

I’ve always respected Keim for his professionalism, integrity and honesty. For my money he’s the best and most consistent local football sports reporter, period. I trust him.

From now on if John Amadeus Keim says something of consequence about the team, no matter what the prevailing collective internet wisdom holds as true,  I’m taking his word as the modern media equivalent of those parts of the gospel that are written in red ink.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Schefter basically confirming that EVERYTHING Keim suggested right after the Top Golf outing was spot on.

I remember in one of his podcasts around that time his co-host (whose name eludes me atm) kept bringing up, “it’s down to Daniels vs Maye”, and every single time he brought up Maye, Keim would delicately say something like—“ I would pay attention to McCarthy, or I’m not so sure they like Maye as much as the fan base, or I wouldn’t be surprised if their top two are Daniels and McCarthy.”

All of it seemed to fly over the head of the other guy, because he just kept saying Daniels vs Maye no matter how many times Keim tried to let him know he knew otherwise, without outright saying it.

I’ve always respected Keim for his professionalism, integrity and honesty. For my money he’s the best and most consistent local football sports reporter, period. I trust him.

From now on if John Amadeus Keim says something, no matter what the prevailing collective internet wisdom believes,  I’m taking his word as the modern equivalent of gospel as written in red ink and sacrosanct.

the pick is already in my friend

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

And what does that have to do with my post?

theres no reason to argue about this anymore

nm i just looked back and realized your arguing about draft tweeters.

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

From now on if John Amadeus Keim says something of consequence about the team, no matter what the prevailing collective internet wisdom holds as true,  I’m taking his word as the modern media equivalent of those parts of the gospel that are written in red ink.

Listening to Cooley and Belichick's feedback on Maye, it's clear he was pretty raw and the combination of flags on mechanics & processing outweighed the upside for our staff vs. Daniels and McCarthy.

I don't believe it was a close call between Jayden and JJ, but I can see how our staff prioritized mechanics & processing and were willing to gamble on other traits/facets (durability, small sample size) vs. taking the traits and gambling on footwork & decision-making.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, dunfer said:

theres no reason to argue about this anymore

nm i just looked back and realized your arguing about draft tweeters.

Cool.

Easy to misunderstand intent. np. :)

More than anything else I just respect Keim, and felt a personal obligation to show my appreciation fir him, because in the world today there aren’t many media voices that I feel I can trust anymore— going further than that general statement would be verboten. 

• Like 4

If we haven't already looked into VR and maybe even AI to pair with it, we really ought to.

It just seems like such a great way to accelerate a QB's development.

I assume Jayden is banging the table for it, and we should be throwing money at it ASAP.  Think about it.  How long does it take to get 22 players in pads, and run through what plays they'll be doing, and then actually run those plays?  How many plays do you usually get in a full contact practice?

I actually don't know, this is an actual question.

BUT I imagine it's maybe like 50?  There's also wear and tear to consider so every play like that is an injury risk, or just a fatigue risk.

Meanwhile, boot up the VR simulator, Jayden is in pads, got your PS5 level graphics there, and pick a play and run it.  Play ends, reset.  Think about how quickly you can run plays in Madden, this will be pretty close.

I'm imagining, say, you want to practice 30 plays.  Run each one 3 times in a minute, in 30 minutes you've run 90 plays.  Then pause, maybe do a half hour debrief, then go back in, 3 more times each, and then same debrief/instruction period.  Break for lunch, then come back, do that cycle one more time. 

In 1.5 hours of plays being run, you've run 270 snaps, and in the 3 hours total you've had chances to identify issues and make corrections and then build up tape for what to try next time.  That's like half a season of pass attempts in half a day, with 21 other "players" in VR doing everything you'd normally do in a game.  Can even simulate crowd noise.

Heck, can just have him run an entire game in VR start to finish.  Get Badass in the booth outside of VR helping to call out protections, with Klingsbury doing some play calling, and in probably an hour you can run an entire game's worth of plays, with some pauses.  Do that twice a day for 3 days a week and in three weeks you've gotten him a whole season of experience.

Now it's not a true substitute for the real world, but for learning the playbook and practicing plays and seeing how the field might actually look on game day, there's probably no other tool remotely close.

It's almost like a Room of Spirit and Time (aka the Hyperbolic Time Chamber) from Dragonball, where a day is a year.

Add some trained AI in there so it's a little more realistic and unpredictable compared to standard Madden 25 AI, and you could really emulate what a real game might look like from start to finish, and run through the offensive side of that in not much longer than the usual time of possession for a real game. 

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Send JD home w/ high end VR headset and boom, full team reps at home.

This tech feels like it will be mandatory in short order.

It takes anybody's ability to study to the next level and it fits right in w/ a generation of avid gamers who gravitate to this kinda stuff anyway.

I'm less concerned about whether we will use this stuff and more interested in Harris buying some stock in this company. Be first in line for every experimental feature and rollout.

• Like 2

The people talking about the last QB to wear number 5 are forgetting about one of our last training camp QB fan crushes: Pat White. 2013 was wild.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

If we haven't already looked into VR and maybe even AI to pair with it, we really ought to.

Absolutely!

Daniels was, to put it bluntly, an afterthought going into the 2023 season.

I think it's no coincidence that his rise from a likely 4th or 5th round pick ti the 2nd player overall was due in no small part to the vigor and intensity which he applied to his daily use of LSU's Occular VR System.

Logan Paulson talked with one of the major developers of the system who told him that they had never witnessed a player as dedicated to using their system to the extremes that Jayden did.

He was using it 7 days a week starting at 5:30 in the morning. Doing 250 to 300 reps regularly in addition to what he had to do at practice, in class to maintain his 4.0 average, and his significant duties and responsibilities as a team captain and representative fir the University.

I can almost guarantee that Snyder never ponyed up the money  for a state of the art dedicated Occulus theater like LSU did, but I'm near certain that Josh will eventually have one installed.

It's just a question of how long it will take to get all the details agreed to so it can be up and running.

XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Oh, we always get articles about this VR stuff but not a lot of video.

Here is a quick look at how the tech works for those that may not have seen it.

Ohhhhh wow! I am showing my age for sure.

I was waaaay off!

In my mind I thought it was a special huge dedicated 3d room where they can make any environment thattgey want to.

I was thinking TNG's holo-deck. lol

I read way too much sc fi. 

In comparison, this should be a breeze to implement.

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Keim was “probably not McCarthy” until 2 weeks before the draft.  And then it switched.

And I (and others) took notice of that.  

Thats when I thought something was up and it was most likely Daniels.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Send JD home w/ high end VR headset and boom, full team reps at home.

This tech feels like it will be mandatory in short order.

It takes anybody's ability to study to the next level and it fits right in w/ a generation of avid gamers who gravitate to this kinda stuff anyway.

I'm less concerned about whether we will use this stuff and more interested in Harris buying some stock in this company. Be first in line for every experimental feature and rollout.

We should buy out the tech and keep everyone from getting it.  :P

I wonder if this tech will increase the number of qbs "making it" in the NFL.  The extra experience and training may help guys with physical traits who never got the mental game down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I was thinking TNG's holo-deck. lol

Yeah, that is what everybody thinks b/c its never really explained too well. lol

While a headset, controller and tablet is all you need for base level operation, you can still throw money at it and get that expensive "VR Room" at the facility tho.

Surround-sound n soundproof room to pump in crowd noise

Some of those VR tredmills

shopping.webp.24ec6a22c177d5d71229c7791951118b.webp

Large screens so multiple people can track the action sans tablet

Short range communication so you can talk to the QB in his helmet

Electric shock devices to punish misques....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

The people talking about the last QB to wear number 5 are forgetting about one of our last training camp QB fan crushes: Pat White. 2013 was wild.

Pat White. 2013

My goodness, you've got a great memory!

I used to have one of those. Seems like lately I've mislaid it and I don't have the foggiest idea where it's gotten too.

Kind of like the proverbial "single sock gone missing" that you know you put in the washing machine with it's twin, yet when you take your clothes out of the dryer it's nowhere to be found.

Gremlins...yes, gremlins are to blame.

• Haha 1