Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington vs Ain’ts Drew Brees

TK
Message added by TK,

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.17.58 PM.png

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Teams a mess. Pretty shambolic from coaching to on field performance.

Totally agree. Rivera is lost. He was never that good to begin with, but no one is buying what he’s selling. Players know when coaches suck. And these players know. 

1 minute ago, Rocket442Olds said:

If Terry would win 1 on 1, then i assume you also won't be mad at all when we have better CBs who lose one-on-one constantly. Lattimore is a top CB in the league. Terry is on the cusp of a top WR. He's got everything you want. I'm a huge fan of him, but he'll learn from games like this, and realize he has to do more for a average QB to hit him.

Well if you recorded the game, go back and watch all the passes thrown to McLaurin in the 1st half.  Freeze the game when McLaurin is at the top of his route or breaking to the sideline.  He is very much open every single time and the ball is delivered so late & slow and in some cases even behind him, which gives Lattimore time to make the play.  With a better QB those are very easy completions and Terry is running for YAC afterwards.   It's not that Lattimore didn't play well, he definitely did, and especially in the 4th quarter where it was pretty much desperation time for the WFT offense, but there were tons of yards left on the field, not because of Lattimore, but because the QB can't make NFL caliber throws on certain routes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I'm going to watch this game home specially to look at Taylor.  Based on what you are saying, he got exposed by another good defense.

putting this on Taylor is comical. He’s a guy playing what his 6th nfl game as a starter?  He gets no help. You can’t blame him for forcing some things. He feels like he has to. Lord knows no one else is stepping up to do a anything. He’s not holding this team back. He actually gives us a chance. This team is being held back by a terrible offensive play caller and the worst defensive coaching staff in the league. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Do more? What are you talking about? Terry had never had a even slightly good QB.  Yet he’s arguably one of the best WR in the NFL.  Do more? What play QB too?  Ridiculous. 

Well you want Lattimore to play CB and Safety with your ridiculous argument, so sure, he should also play QB.

Playing like a 3-14 team. Too much stupid. 

Bizarrely, I think the defense played better today and the offense mounted some great drives. They just blew the big moments and gave up way too many big plays. 

in one sense, it’s a game to build off because they did so many things better. In the other, the big problems keep reoccurring. 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Well if you recorded the game, go back and watch all the passes thrown to McLaurin in the 1st half.  Freeze the game when McLaurin is at the top of his route or breaking to the sideline.  He is very much open every single time and the ball is delivered so late & slow and in some cases even behind him, which gives Lattimore time to make the play.  With a better QB those are very easy completions and Terry is running for YAC afterwards.   It's not that Lattimore didn't play well, he definitely did, and especially in the 4th quarter where it was pretty much desperation time for the WFT offense, but there were tons of yards left on the field, not because of Lattimore, but because the QB can't make NFL caliber throws on certain routes.

I agree with you, that he is often open on his routes, but you don't think that the defense also knows this? They know they can play with a cushion and break on the ball. Why do you think Lattimore did that multiple times.

Heres my quote from earlier in the game, I see the same thing you do. It is just that if he's a top 5 WR in the NFL, he has to continue to come back to the ball, because his QB leaves it floating. My post from earlier in this game:

1 hour ago, Rocket442Olds said:

I wish he had just a bit more zip on those 15-ish yarder passes. Multiple times Terry's had a 2 yards on guys but the ball hangs too long.

Rivera doesn’t seem like he has it anymore. Was it the cancer? Just the fact that he’s a retread and starting over (without a Cam Newton this go around, too) is exhausting for someone who’s made it to a Super Bowl and lost and had to try to re-climb that mountain? There’s just no energy. I’m sure the players love him as a man, but are guys really falling all over themselves to run through a brick wall for him? Is the cultural change in the locker room really that meaningful? We’re still undisciplined and sloppy, start slow and don’t know how to finish, and the players on defense are still ****ing arrogant and indignant about criticism in the media even when they’re bad.

The roster building and schemes are two whole other issues of course, and their own problems. 

I think the FO and business-level changes are probably more important long-term, and Wright could probably run a real GM search that builds the team properly from the top down—GM after a comprehensive (not good ol’ boys club) search, then HC (based on schematic brilliance and not name value), then staff.

I just don’t think we’re seeing a team/organization that is somehow being held together and kept from being even worse solely by the willpower and league-wide respect of Rivera—I have no idea what he’s bringing to the table if I’m honest, except that commentators are nicer about us bc they like him. His coordinators stink, his players don’t face accountability or competition if they’re bad, we’re undisciplined and stupid situationally. What exactly is the special sauce that Rivera brings other than holding Snyder at bay (for now)? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You won’t find a bigger fan of Terry than me. I loved him even before we drafted him.  The Terry thread is loaded with my posts praising him to the hilt. Today Latimore played well against him, sorry, it happens.

Taylor wasn’t hot today but I am not squarely putting Latimores game to that. 

Terry is a beast with contested catches for example, today was different

In fairness there were multiple plays today where Terry was open if the ball gets to him on time. Terry consistently schooled Latimore on deep outs and Taylor couldnt get the ball there on time. But I do agree with you that Latimore played Terry better than anyone else so far this season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

putting this on Taylor is comical. He’s a guy playing what his 6th nfl game as a starter?  He gets no help. You can’t blame him for forcing some things. He feels like he has to. Lord knows no one else is stepping up to do a anything. He’s not holding this team back. He actually gives us a chance. This team is being held back by a terrible offensive play caller and the worst defensive coaching staff in the league. 

50% on his passes and two ints with no TDs doesn't sound like he's completely absolved from fault.  I agree with not putting it all on him, ill watch the game and decide for myself, though.  Not a good QB Stateline, im tired of giving him credit when he does well and defending him when he does poorly, have to call a a spade a spade at some point.  Again, ill watch the game when I get back to VA before commenting further (unless someone quotes me)

Heinicke wasn’t particularly good today, but the defense is so atrocious. We need to be bench Collins immediately, simplify the scheme, and make players ****ing accountable for once. The D-line was good today; the LB’s weren’t total ass (uneven is more fair). It’s the complete blown coverages that teams clearly know how to attack that we need to fix. 

11 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It’s impossible to make catches against an all pro corner when you have to wait for the ball to land. Rarely we’re the throws to him catching him in stride. It’s easy money for Lattimore. 

I practically wrote a dissertation the morning before we drafted him about why we should take Terry in the third round.  I'd bet 25% of so of the tribute posts on the Terry thread are from me.  Heck I drove with my kids 2 years ago an hour plus in traffic on a Friday night before the SB to meet him in a meet and greet.  Heck I just bought a bunch of cool merchandise from Terry's web site this morning, mclaurin17.com, for those interested.  :ols:.    He's my favorite player on the team.  I can go on and on. 

I'll put my fan carrying Terry card up against anyone here.  But yeah today wasn't his day against Lattimore.  Yeah Heinicke's floaters don't help but IMO it was deeper than that.  Heck it happens.  WRs can have an off game and #1 CBs do actually at times do a good job against them -- it happened, its OK.  It wasn't hard to see Latimore enjoying giving Terry a hard time at the end of the game for how it played out -- I hate to say it but Lattimore earned it.  Terry is a great player.  I get the angst here about Heinicke.  I've challenged Heinicke from time to time.  I am far from 100% sold on him.  but I don't think that's the full story for today's matchup between Terry and Lattimore.  The Heinicke narrative is a different conversation IMO.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1