Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington vs Ain’ts Drew Brees

TK
Message added by TK,

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.17.58 PM.png

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I been saying we gonna beat the Cheifs. Gonna place a bet while the odds are good. 

after this all we gotta do is take care of the division, and we are 1-0 in our division. I like our chances. We go 6-0 in our division plus beating the chiefs and falcons gets us to 8 wins. 

panthers and raiders are two more opportunities to win. 

10-7 should get us into the game.

If Winston didn’t make that Hail Mary at the end of the first half the whole texture of the game is different.

This team isn't winning 10 games.  At best 8 games.  Dallas will sweep this team.  Eagles probably win, at least one of those games.  Giants will win rematch.  At best, this team goes 2-3 in that division run to end the season.

54 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This team isn't winning 10 games.  At best 8 games.  Dallas will sweep this team.  Eagles probably win, at least one of those games.  Giants will win rematch.  At best, this team goes 2-3 in that division run to end the season.

and the sucky part... is qualifying as a Wild Card generally means having a winning schedule.  So, odds are not in our favor this time around. 

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh yeah? They should totally just do it. Go get a great QB already. Not like we haven't used almost half our top 3rd round picks trying to do that for a decade. 

Agree that's its much easier said than done.   But the odds of how we played it somewhat makes failture at that spot predictable.  Some of it is just dumb luck and the wrird fact that 6-10 actually helps keep you in NFL purgatory.  You often need to bottom out to help get there. 

They've only swung for the fences once as for a top QB prospect and that was RG3.  Haskins by some including their own scouting staff was rated a 2nd-3rd rounder.    Both Ramsey and Campbell were projected as 2nd rounders.  They haven't been shooting for the moon.  With the exception of RG3, they've been overpaying for prospects who weren't considered top of the market type of prospects.

I don't think its easy to build a winner without that top QB.   I recall just a few years ago going to the Arizona game and watching us pummel them.  I recall how their fans looked depressed. Now look at them?  They were awful in the perfect year.  Now they are a much better team.  

I do think a sneaky reason why this team hasn't won is they have not had that losing season at the right time.  They don't get themselves in position to get the top of the market QBs in the seasons where they are considered potentially elite.  Granted sometimes its harder to figure out like in the case of Herbert.  Kyler Murray for example looked special in college.  According to some beat guys they really really liked him.   

Take this draft.  Too early to tell who are the top prospects.  But it wouldn't shock me if Malik Willis ends up the top prospect.  But watch him go to Detriot.  I like Corral but watch him go perhaps #2 to some other team.  And we are left to fend with that next tier and hope for example that Howell ends up the goods.  Fending for players in that next tier usually goes south for most teams.  Vikings taking Christian Ponder.  Titans Jack Locker, etc.  Fishing outside of the top prospects can yield results everyone loves citing Russell Wilson, etc.  But the odds keep going down.  Yes you can get the ballyhooed prospect and they can fail.  But again the odds work better for you.  

The Cardinals for example didn't have to be Rhode Scholars to pick Kyler Murray.  But in the same draft you had to be pretty smart to fend through Finley, Minshew, Rypien, etc to find that diamond in the rough.  I don't think of Clinton Portis as that football savvy in general when he speaks but i thought he nailed it once in an interview when asked why this team can never get over the hump, he cited QB, and then went on that 6-10s don't get you there, you need more bottom level runs, 2-14, to get that elite player (preferably QB) to take you over the hump. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Cool. Well we both agree then he’s not the right guy for the team.

Well considering how they looked last year, he’s more integral to their success than you give him credit for.

For sure, an experienced NFL QB who can play is gonna make any coach look better. My point is that Dallas is better across the board than we are, especially on defense. They have speed and play very aggressively on defense at they now have a "shutdown" corner in Diggs. If he were here he'd probably be just another guy in the defense with the way we play. Dan Quinn has done a great job of shoring up that defense.