Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

7 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

Awesome news. Our "elite" D-line was dragging, in the first game of the season. Bodes well for the rest of the season.

What do you expect when the defense allows 14-18 third down conversions? Holy ****, no wonder they were gassed. 

I don't know if I've ever seen a worse 3rd down conversion % by our defense. You're not going to win any games being that bad and not getting off the field. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I believe we wanted the Chargers to jump the snap and it didn't work and we got a false start which made us have to punt. They should have went for it from the get go.

That hardly ever works, if that was the plan I also think it’s dumb. Just trust your playmakers to make a play and light a fire under the teams ass. We had no chance once we did anything other than go for it, it was a give up play…just in slow motion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

And if the Chargers don't drop a bunch of balls, or if we don't get an extremely favorable sack/fumble touchback call....

The fact is, the Chargers were by far the better team out there today. We should have lost by 14+.

Yeah this sort of hindsight stuff is pointless. The Chargers dominated our defense. Completely. Them only putting up 20 points was mostly dumb luck and a couple of nice red zone plays by our defense. We gave up 14 third downs. 14.

There shouldn't be any sugar coating and I hope like hell nobody lets the team themselves sugar coat it by saying they only lost by 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I know one thing, I'm still waiting for a damn Jamin Davis sighting. Dude has been non existent since draft day. I know he's a rookie, but ****.......

He's raw so we can mold him into the exact player we want.  Winning.

I hope he is good on teams. OT I miss ZO mauling returners on teams.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The game was lost on the missed FG. That set up the short field for the Chargers that allowed them to drive. The pick was nice but we were still inside our own 4 yard line and most likely would have punted it back to the Chargers on a short field anyway.

If we're able to at least make a FG, we're up 6 and the Chargers are resetting at their own 25 ish. Completely different set of circumstances.

The game was lost on the three prior plays all resulting in negative yards.

@Wildbunny

lol, i get the point.  But Il say for example Colt McCoy and Haskins looked just as bad in the practices I watched then what you'd expect when they play for real.

As for Heinicke, he wasn't bad in the practices I watched, but Fitz looked sharper.  They both had some erratic streaks when they threw the ball with Heinicke having more of those down days in the practices I watched and ditto sounds like for the practices the reporters watched.

But yeah Heinicke has some gamer in him. And he's a better fit when the O line can't handle pass pressure because his ability to elude pressure like today. 

I don't put it any of the losses on him but it would be cool for the legacy to include a win.    If he beats the Giants, he will be my hero.  If we lose to the Giants again, I will have a depressing Friday-weekend next week. 😧

4 minutes ago, profusion said:

Only one team in history has won ALL the games. It's not realistic.

I've watched the NFL for too long to make judgements based on Week 1.

There are certainly huge warning signs; I'm not downplaying that.

If your goal isn't to win every game, then you're doing it wrong.  To be okay with any loss is a loser's mentality.

We looked like ass out there.  Not just being eked out in a 31-29 hell of a game coming down to the last second, we just looked AWFUL.

There's no way to spin today to make it okay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah this sort of hindsight stuff is pointless. The Chargers dominated our defense. Completely. Them only putting up 20 points was mostly dumb luck and a couple of nice red zone plays by our defense. We gave up 14 third downs. 14.

There shouldn't be any sugar coating and I hope like hell nobody lets the team themselves sugar coat it by saying they only lost by 4.

Whenever the Chargers needed a big play just about they made it.  Them having the most third downs against this team in franchise history save one other game -- sums it up. 

Heck even the announcers were piling on when they questioned Riveras decision not to go for it, suggesting the Chargers could move the ball at will on them so why give them the ball back to ice the game.  They ended up right on that.

Not a lot to feel good about. Gibson was a stud, except for the killer fumble. 

Defense allowing the second most 3rd down conversions in franchise history is...putrid. Jesus.

Oline couldn't give Heini any time. Dline couldn't get any pressure on Herbert. 

Lousy performance against a good team. It's a miracle we only lost by 4. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I could have wrote "We invested a lot of assets in the D line and none of them are worth it", but I was trying to put a positive spin on it because it really came down to 3 mental breakdowns late in the game.

Couple of things.

O-Line was not so good. Decent in run blocking, but really bad in pass pro. That needs to get shored up.

D-Line was invisible. This is really bad if it's the best part of your team. Absolutely no pressure, and got carved up pretty good on the ground. They are going to have to be much better for this team to have a chance. Herbert is really good, but the OL was rebuilt, we should have been able to create a lot more pressure.

All that being said, the offense looked a lot better with Heinicke in there. And I think we had a chance at the end if we DON'T take the ball out of his hands and let him go downfield. We got real conservative late, and it killed us. I think we had a real chance to win it if we kept going downfield with the passing game, instead of the screens and quick outs.

27 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Sure, but it was obvious that was going to be the result when we punted. We all knew. Only chance to win that game was to steal it on 4th down, and Rivera got conservative. We didn’t deserve to win at that point, it was playing to lose by less

Wasn't an egregious call. We (myself included) tend to overstate ****. W/o Gibson's fumble inside the 10, how many points the D give up. Even had 2 takeaways and who knows how lopsided the TOP was. Rivera bet on his bread and butter. Herbert played great. Even the rook cb had tight coverage....Herbert made great throws. Zone cover has to be hella better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

If your goal isn't to win every game, then you're doing it wrong.  To be okay with any loss is a loser's mentality.

We looked like ass out there.  Not just being eked out in a 31-29 hell of a game coming down to the last second, we just looked AWFUL.

There's no way to spin today to make it okay.

I'm not spinning it or saying it's okay. Just not flailing my arms and writing off the season after a single bad game to start the year.