Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

It's not that most efficient use of our talent. I don't believe the announcer. Or I don't want to believe the announcer. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I’ve read a lot of your posts on this stuff over the years and because of that my ears immediately perked up in bad way when I heard it. I was hoping they were incorrect, but have been waiting to see you posts more bc I know it’s bad news and speaks to a very passive mindset that wastes the talent of this DL.

I think the first half we held a top 5 offense in check mostly. Second half I think it'll look a hell of a lot different. 

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Coming out in the 3rd with the ball I hope they don't forget that Gibson was doing well rushing the ball.  Besides the one play where he slipped he was getting good yardage on most rushes.  Don't go away from him too much just because a new QB is in the game.

Eh 6 for 13 if you take away that 27 yard rush

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

I think that a lot of us don't even know WTF that means.

Just now, dyst said:

Explain please 

Typically a 2-gap scheme is employed by an odd front defense. The nose and one end would play 2-gaps instead of one. So to do that, the DL has to play much less aggressively. They are read and react. To make up for it, the odd front defenses are typically fairly aggressive with their pressure packages and schemes.

If we really ARE a 2-gap defense we are telling our defensive line (probably both tackles and not so much the ends) that they have to read and react. Thus taking some aggressiveness out of them. They are responsible for two gaps on any given play. So if the ball goes to either one and they read wrong and play the wrong one, it's on them.

But what that also means is that our backers, if not blitzed, are not playing run first and getting themselves down hill. They are slow to get downhill because they have to ensure it's run.

Again with a 2-gap you generally play aggressive man-to-man and bring heat.

I've said for years that I'm not a huge fan of Holcomb because he doesn't play down hill. If this 2-gap info is true it makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. 

Even front defenses (4 fronts mostly) typically employ a 1-gap system. You check your gap and go play football. 

We are asking our defensive line to read and react. And our linebackers to play pass first (and they aren't great in coverage as is). And we are not bringing the heat necessary.

I'm sure Del Rio knows what the difference is and its not as cut and dry as "this is a 1-gap D" or "this is a 2-gap D". But... Why we're two gapping at all is strange to me with the horses we have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yeah people here are in for a rude awakening if they think Heinicke might actually be good. He is not good and he’s extremely limited. His only potential trump card is his above average mobility, and if he uses it he’s dead within two games. He has possibly a weaker arm than Colt McCoy and doesn’t lead guys open to make up for it. 

Let us revisit this quote later 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Coming out in the 3rd with the ball I hope they don't forget that Gibson was doing well rushing the ball.  Besides the one play where he slipped he was getting good yardage on most rushes.  Don't go away from him too much just because a new QB is in the game.

He didn't slip.  It was a facemask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think we all knew going into season that the linebacker position was still a question mark.  Davis has the potential but a rookie starting at MLB is extremely tough task.  The bigger issue is that our coaches haven't seemed to be able to do anything scheme-wise to try and cover for that weakness and it took all of one half of football to see O-coordinators are going to constantly throw passes and call runs that require the outside LBers to seal edges and get to the ball carriers before they can turn upfield, something which so far they are failing at.

Just now, KDawg said:

If we really ARE a 2-gap defense we are telling our defensive line (probably both tackles and not so much the ends) that they have to read and react. Thus taking some aggressiveness out of them. They are responsible for two gaps on any given play. So if the ball goes to either one and they read wrong and play the wrong one, it's on them.

What happened to stop the run on the way to the QB