Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Herbert's Chargers @ Ryan Fitzpatrick's Team

88Comrade2000

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

To me, their path to being a homegrown Superbowl contender is pretty clear.  Their foundation is fully built and they can basically just keep adding BPA type value additions whenever they fall into their lap.  Our path is much murkier.  We need a huge stroke of luck like Aaron Rodgers or DeShaun Watson coming here.

My prediction: LAC 21 - WFT 13

Agree life is much easier when you got that franchise QB.  Hope you are wrong about the outcome but It's certainly possible. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My prediction: LAC 21 - WFT 13

Our D last year when they didn't allow more than 20 points we won. So the key will need to be the same here this year. As long as our D can stop them and don't allow them to score more than 20 and our offense can put of numbers then we will win. 

9 minutes ago, zskins said:

Our D last year when they didn't allow more than 20 points we won. So the key will need to be the same here this year. As long as our D can stop them and don't allow them to score more than 20 and our offense can put of numbers then we will win. 

Well I hope we can keep them.to under 10 points..cause wft sure as he'll won't score more than 10

• Haha 2

I kinda feel like the Chargers are a little overrated…at least heading into 2021. They have a rookie coach trying to install Drew Brees level play calls (great article in the Athletic about this) with a 2nd year QB that sat out the entire preseason. O line is still a question. Defense severely drops off after their best 2 players. I think this match up is a toss up but the Chargers still have a ways to go. 

So do we but I think we’re a little deeper 1-53. 

LAC 21

WFT 24

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zskins said:

You’re absolutely right. If we score more points than our defense allows, we should totally win. 

Ahhhhh, like the season never ended, people in mid-season Eeyore form already predicting disaster and ruin before a single game is played.

Gawd I luv this board

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

You're being a wet blanket lately...

That's not a blanket

179 Applying Baby Powder Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime

😆😆

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wanna bet money the offense struggles?

Nope...I never bet on Washington, because I am horrible at gambling.

I once lost over 300 bucks in roulette in 10 mins. I was betting black and red.

Then I said **** it, I'll bet red and black just to somewhat break the losing streak...it came up green.

I sooo wish that story wasn't true

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I kinda feel like the Chargers are a little overrated…at least heading into 2021. They have a rookie coach trying to install Drew Brees level play calls (great article in the Athletic about this) with a 2nd year QB that sat out the entire preseason. O line is still a question. Defense severely drops off after their best 2 players. I think this match up is a toss up but the Chargers still have a ways to go. 

So do we but I think we’re a little deeper 1-53. 

LAC 21

WFT 24

Two parts of that article that shocked me.  First, the level of empowerment that they (and New Orleans) give their quarterbacks is astonishing.  They have a truly collaborative relationship and their coaches have no egos.  Second, he comment that Drew Breed had to study his playbooks constantly to memorize everything but Herbert only needs to say it a couple of times before he's memorized it.  They said it's like the beautiful mind with him.  That part had me shook, I didn't realize he was that smart.  And he was already figuring out stuff about how to feel out the coverages and play upon instinct without having to think at an NFL level.  Putting an elite football mind on someone with the body and talent of a Josh Allen or Carson Wentz, and then giving him great coaches and a good supporting cast is a formula for success.  He's going to be one of the best QBs in the league soon.  It feels like the first time I heard Pat Mahomes give an interview, heading into his second season, and realized Holy ****, this kid is going to be amazing.

In the here and now, I think the Chargers will move the ball on us.  Herbert's mobility and that run--pass visual marriage will slow our rush.  Linsley vs Payne is also going to be a super important match up because Linsley is arguably the best run blocking OC in the game and we can not be having big A gap creases or else we're screwed.  We have to spill their run game wide because the strength of our back seven is pursuit speed and we'll have trouble with play action and rpos if they are able to get big yardage with inside zone.

Offensively, the only way we will score is if we establish the run.  Our passing game sucks and their back seven is loaded and is one of the most physical groups in the NFL.  This defensive scheme demolished us last season when we played the Rams, and that group was even more top heavy than this Chargers D.  The way we keep that from happening again is by moving the ball on the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So the offense will be worse then last year with Haskins and Smith? You realize that our offense averaged 20 points a game last year?

This is a little misleading.  Defensive success put the offense in better positions to score points.  If the D gets a Pick-6, that TD goes into the points-a-game stat.  The 20.9 points a game we scored last year was 25th, but our defense definitely contributed to that.  With a league average defense, I'm sure we'd be well below 20 points a game.