Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Herbert's Chargers @ Ryan Fitzpatrick's Team

88Comrade2000

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Let me guess - the one and only win, by a first year coach in his first game, was against us

As soon as I read the stat, I figured it was us too. Didn't we lose to the eagles on opening day a few years ago with their new head coach? I am too lazy to look up stats.

Edited by mudhog

47 minutes ago, mudhog said:

As soon as I read the stat, I figured it was us too. Didn't we lose to the eagles on opening day a few years ago with their new head coach? I am too lazy to look up stats.

Yep, 2013. So I’m guessing the list does indeed not count coaches that go from HC of one team to HC of another. Cause chip kelly was an actual first time head coach 

however, the 1 win for first year HC was not against us, it was 2019, packers coach Matt LaFleur 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Just heard an interesting stat.  First year head coaches in their first games are 1-12-1.  If that holds, bodes well for WFT this weekend.

That is interesting, I'm assuming this is just first year head coaches and not coaches in new places.  14 coaches would mean this goes back 3 years.  3 rookie coaches last year, 5 and 6 the years previous.  I don't feel like looking who the winner was though 🤣. Hopefully we can continue the trend I have faith Ron can get it done.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean we do have a pretty lengthy history, across coaches, of being the homecoming game for rookie coaches and quarterbacks.  On the wrong side of a disproportionate amount of highlight reels.

This is a bad habit of projecting the past on a new regime. Yes, we have had some poor coaches but that doesn't mean that past should be put around the new coaches ankles. 

We will not win or lose based on previous outcomes. This is a new ear with different coaches, different fans and different opponents. If this were still the same staff and mostly the same team over the last 5 yrs OK. But you can't look at this roster and the coaching staff and not see they are radically different. Does not mean we will win. But if we lose it's not becasue Jay last most of his openers of Mike S could not get players ready. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

That is interesting, I'm assuming this is just first year head coaches and not coaches in new places.  14 coaches would mean this goes back 3 years.  3 rookie coaches last year, 5 and 6 the years previous.  I don't feel like looking who the winner was though 🤣. Hopefully we can continue the trend I have faith Ron can get it done.

Let’s see....from looking it up..

2020 rookie head coaches: 0-3

2019 rookie head coaches: 1-4-1 (one tie coming from kliff kingsbury, the 1 win coming from LaFleur of the packers)

2018 rookie head coaches: 0-5 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

This is a bad habit of projecting the past on a new regime. Yes, we have had some poor coaches but that doesn't mean that past should be put around the new coaches ankles. 

We will not win or lose based on previous outcomes. This is a new ear with different coaches, different fans and different opponents. If this were still the same staff and mostly the same team over the last 5 yrs OK. But you can't look at this roster and the coaching staff and not see they are radically different. Does not mean we will win. But if we lose it's not becasue Jay last most of his openers of Mike S could not get players ready. 

Just talking about the trend for the team, not any given coaching staff or roster.  Kinda like how the Giants seem to have our number.  Doesn't mean anything about any given staff or players.

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Let me guess - the one and only win, by a first year coach in his first game, was against us

LOL, it was actually Green Bay and Matt LaFleur but I don't know what team they played that first game.

4 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

It was Green Bay and Matt LaFleur's first game.  Not sure who they played.

Listened to Keim's podcast.  He thinks they win if Ekler doesn't play but lose if he does.   His concern in part seems to be that the practices he watched this week, they didn't seem to have that same sense of urgency than what he saw during camp.  But he couched it that maybe its CBA driven or maybe that was just the portion of practices he could watch because the media wasn't allowed to watch the full practices.

I don't really trust most of the personal takes of sports writers. When they start mentioning sources, I am more interested. 

Eckler as a checkdown is key, but Young and Sweat are a threat and therefore a back will be blocking more. They are also strong at defending the edge disrupting screens and quick passes. 

Your runningback isn't winning you games against WFT, it'll be your TE and slot receivers winning in the middle and big passing plays. So Eckler being an X factor ..meh. 

I wanna see us stuff the run. Our run D, lets be honest, was disappointing last year. We got gashed way too often for my taste. Remember Wayne freaking Gallman running down our throat? Or how I believe the Panthers had a TD drive doing literally nothing but running the ball? And the playoff game, it was as much Leonard Fournette as it was Tom Brady who owned us. I have no concerns about our pass rush, but our DL needs to start stuffing the run. LBs too.

We do that this week and I think we'll be okay. Our secondary matches up well with the Chargers. WJ3 can go one on one man to man with Keenan Allen. Mike Williams is a bust at this point and Fuller/St. Juste should be fine against him. They don't have Hunter Henry at TE anymore either.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I wanna see us stuff the run. Our run D, lets be honest, was disappointing last year. We got gashed way too often for my taste. Remember Wayne freaking Gallman running down our throat? Or how I believe the Panthers had a TD drive doing literally nothing but running the ball? And the playoff game, it was as much Leonard Fournette as it was Tom Brady who owned us. I have no concerns about our pass rush, but our DL needs to start stuffing the run. LBs too.

We do that this week and I think we'll be okay. Our secondary matches up well with the Chargers. WJ3 can go one on one man to man with Keenan Allen. Mike Williams is a bust at this point and Fuller/St. Juste should be fine against him. They don't have Hunter Henry at TE anymore either.

Yeah it's time for this Defense to put up or shut up..Year two in the system should produce better results..No excuses

4 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

If this happens, and I'm hoping it does, Taylor will finish the season. All this kid needs is playing time, he has the tools to be a good QB.

So you want to see our starting QB struggle or get injured? 

You think Heinicke is a better QB than Fitz? 

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

LOL, I’m not sure about the getting injured part, but it’s inevitable that Fitzy will be benched at some point during the season.  If or when Heinecke plays, we have to hope that he succeeds.  If he plays, I hope he is better than Fitzy.

3 minutes ago, samy316 said:

LOL, I’m not sure about the getting injured part, but it’s inevitable that Fitzy will be benched at some point during the season.  If or when Heinecke plays, we have to hope that he succeeds.  If he plays, I hope he is better than Fitzy.

I hope Heinicke is the second coming of Brady, but you're not going to see me say "I hope it does". That sucks. 

Fitz has been one of the better QBs the last 3 years and would have made a lot of noise in the playoffs last year if the Dolphins didn't decide to back out of them. 

Why would anyone not want to see Fitz have a career year this year? 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I never want to see any one on our team struggle. If Fitz is benched, that means he's already struggling. I don't know how he's going to do, but I hope he lights it up. As far as Taylor, what I watched against Tampa, I loved. He is always looking downfield 1st, then will take off if needed. I think this kid could be a good QB if given time to play.

The key to the season is Fitz. Tragic vs Magic. You’re going to need more appearances by Magic for there to be any success thus season.

Also, key is when Magic appears. You know you are going to see Tragic but you hope those appearances are in games, you were going to lose anyway. You need Magic to appear in the games where you can go on a run.

Given our luck, Magic appears in those tough games but we still lose; cause those teams are better. Tragic appears in games we need to win, like that closing 5 game stretch.

• Thumb down 1

Everybody knows I am a Heinicke fan, but my perspective is probably a little different than you might expect. I don't wish anything bad in either injury or performance for Fitzpatrick. That said, if TH has to replace Fitzy for any reason, I hope he plays so well (as I know he can), that he never gives up the starting position for the next eight or nine years. Cheers, all!

5 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I hope that Fitz plays so well that people will shut up about Heinicke forever. 

Lol...he can play like a God 3 games in a row, and the 1st bad game and people will be clamoring for Heinicke...and you know it..we're not called extremeskins for nothin'

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I hope that Fitz plays so well that people will shut up about Heinicke forever. 

Fat chance.  This fanbase knows nothing except quarterback controversies.  We've been having quarterback controversies for practically 25+ years.  

****, we could have the equivalent to Tom Brady starting for us and some dip**** fans would be wanting to see the backup instead.  

• Haha 2