Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Herbert's Chargers @ Ryan Fitzpatrick's Team

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

There a lot of interesting pros and cons going into this season, some minor, some major.  One I haven’t seen discussed much - how Fitzpatrick performed the last time he was the starter heading into the season on a new team (ie. a new offense).  Not exactly an apples to apples comparison of course, but in 2019, Fitz started the first two games for the Fins and was pretty atrocious.  Lost to BAL 59-10 and NE 43-0.  Hovered around 50% completion percentage, threw for 185, 1 td and 1 pick against Baltimore, 89 yards and 3 picks against the Patriots before being benched for Rosen.  Couple that with his lackluster preseason performance this year, and I could see a pretty rough start for the offense.

Now obviously you could argue we have more offensive talent than the ‘19 Dolphins, have a much better D, that playing LAC/NYG is a far cry from what he faced that year, etc., but… that start to his 2019 campaign is a pretty major red flag IMO.

Yeah, I’m friends with a Dolphins fan and a Jets fan, so I’ve gotten to watch plenty of Fitzpatrick over the years.  One thing that doesn’t get talked about much is his early season struggles.  That 2019 season you just referred to was particularly disturbing for my Dolphins friend.  We just have to hope that his struggles are limited.  Luckily our defense is good enough to not let us give up 50+ points if Fitz is struggling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

There a lot of interesting pros and cons going into this season, some minor, some major.  One I haven’t seen discussed much - how Fitzpatrick performed the last time he was the starter heading into the season on a new team (ie. a new offense).  Not exactly an apples to apples comparison of course, but in 2019, Fitz started the first two games for the Fins and was pretty atrocious.  Lost to BAL 59-10 and NE 43-0.  Hovered around 50% completion percentage, threw for 185, 1 td and 1 pick against Baltimore, 89 yards and 3 picks against the Patriots before being benched for Rosen.  Couple that with his lackluster preseason performance this year, and I could see a pretty rough start for the offense.

Now obviously you could argue we have more offensive talent than the ‘19 Dolphins, have a much better D, that playing LAC/NYG is a far cry from what he faced that year, etc., but… that start to his 2019 campaign is a pretty major red flag IMO.

I mean, to be fair, his rosters were pretty atrocious.  Also, wasn't 2019 the year we played the Dolphins and dominated on defense with Rosen starting, then almost lost the game when Fitzpatrick came in?

• Thanks 1

Fitzy will get benched. Taylor will come in and then after a couple of games, will show why He's just a backup.  Fitz will then return. Wherever we finish, will rest on how Fitzy performs. Ron happens to be a great in December/ January.  I expect a rough start, then we stabilize and then finish strong. Still sticking with my 8-8-1 prediction. 

Gonna come down to their revamped OL vs. our DL. I think WJ3 can neutralize Keenan Allen. They don't have Hunter Henry at TE anymore so no matchup nightmare there to exploit.

Offensively we should be able to move the ball against the Chargers, particularly on the ground. Bosa against Cosmi could be an issue, hopefully we give him help. Derwin James is back and healthy but he's also only played five games the last two years.

27-20 Washington.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, to be fair, his rosters were pretty atrocious.  Also, wasn't 2019 the year we played the Dolphins and dominated on defense with Rosen starting, then almost lost the game when Fitzpatrick came in?

Well, I did mention this roster should be better than he had in Miami, and yes, he came in and played well against us… but that was game 5 (week 6), so doesn’t really counter the idea of struggling early on in a new system (and on a new team).  I’m not trying to be all doom and gloom.  Frankly, I’ve been pretty optimistic about what Fitzpatrick will bring to the team, I just happened to look up his 2019 start and thought it worth pointing out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Fitzy will get benched. Taylor will come in and then after a couple of games, will show why He's just a backup.  Fitz will then return. Wherever we finish, will rest on how Fitzy performs. Ron happens to be a great in December/ January.  I expect a rough start, then we stabilize and then finish strong. Still sticking with my 8-8-1 prediction. 

There have been over a thousand games played in the last 4 seasons in the nfl and 4 of them have ended in a tie.

Why predict a tie when the odds are astronomically low?

Just curious. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think its the perfect game to see what we got.  They had the same record as we did last year.  They got some young emerging players.  Derwin James is back and i recall reading at least early on in camp he looked good. 

Bosa versus Cosmi should be interesting. 

To have a good season, they need to beat some of the big boy teams.  If they can't beat a good albeit not great team at home it might be a bad harbinger for the season.  If they beat the chargers especially if they do it looking good as opposed to in an ugly type squeaker -- that might be a good sign for the season.  It's a really good test game IMO. 

Not that it matters but its amusing how hard Greenberg is pushing this team.  He's become what Bayless was in 2012 as for this team. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

There have been over a thousand games played in the last 4 seasons in the nfl and 4 of them have ended in a tie.

Why predict a tie when the odds are astronomically low?

Just curious. 

Why not. I think the nfc east will be close for 3 teams but mediocre. My week by week prediction is in the bold prediction thread. I have us tying the Giants next week. I don't see to much separation this season.

I have Dallas at 9-8 , then NY at 8-8-1  and then us. Those 3 were close last year and I expect the same this year.

16 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Chargers fans on one of their message boards:

"By the way, I’d love to have Washington’s D line. That’s some top talent."

"4 straight years of round 1 picks at DL - 2 EDGE & 2 IDL"

"The impressive thing is, IMO, that all four are starters. None of them are busts.

Ahem

I’ve been thinking about my primary areas of concern and optimism with the team/roster from the context of what has changed since last year.

Concerns:

Stopping the run.  Primarily because I don’t trust our LBs, but also because playing more man coverage could mean our dbs are carried down the field more and our 1 gapping DL isn’t going to keep our LBs clean (and our backers are not of the stack and shed variety).

Man coverage.  Yes, we brought in Jackson, but I don’t know if St Juste and Jamin are ready for the big leagues, I don’t trust Collins or Bostic in coverage, and I’m not sold on Fuller, Holcomb, Curl or McCain playing man (also not saying they can’t).

Fitzpatrick.  The potential for a slow start.  Will he still take risks even though our D (and maybe ST) can pick up the slack?

Pass pro.  The line needs time to gel, Cosmi is a question mark in pass pro, we don’t have a back that can protect.

Kicking.  Hopkins is aleady a concern, and now he’s paired with a rookie LS.

Optimism:

2nd year in this defensive system.  2nd year of the line 1 gapping, having a full offseason this time, Del Rio adding wrinkles, etc.  Last year was a horrible time to try to implement a new O and D.

Growth of young guys and all of the “additions” (in quotes because some are returning).  Young, Gibson and Curl in their 2nd years, adding Samuel, Humphries, Fitzpatrick, Davis, Cosmi, Brown, Patterson, Leno, Jackson, St Juste, McCain, and getting back Collins and Ioannidis.

Offensive firepower.  Turner has much better pieces to work with (including the above mentioned growth of guys like Gibson) as gets to tailor the offense, add wrinkles and now has more experience in the role.

Coverage units.  Everett, Apke, Mayo - all ST studs, plus a lot of other guys that can make a difference.  Combine that with Tress Way’s brilliance and this should be a bright spot in a game of inches.

Depth.  There are still some concerns of course (LB and DE primarily, IMO), but I like the depth at receiver and DT, Patterson makes me feel better about our RB depth, Bates/Reyes/RSJ are far better than last year’s group, we’ve got a good qb room and Everett is now the 4th safety with 3 solid safeties ahead of him.  Oline depth looks good with Lucas, Charles, either Sweitzer or Flowers, and I have to assume Larson is better than last year’s version of Ismael.  Not sure about corner depth, but McTyer seems like a solid number 4.  Overall, much improved from last year, and we have guys on the PS that were our depth last year - Reaves, AGG, Ismael and DJ off the top of my head (Wes Martin as well?).

I was going to do 5 for each category (pros/cons), but I’d be remiss if I left off the culture change.  Running joke under BA of course, but you see guys buying into this staff, far better leadership, etc.  Might be hard to point to the effect this has on the score card, but it’s a massive turnaround for this organization.

Anyway, just some thoughts I wanted to get out.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Fitzy will get benched. 

With our defense and variety of offensive weapons, and our decent o-line, I think Fitz will be asked and expected to do a lot less than what his other teams wanted from him.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Thumb up 1

Low-scoring game.  Chase Young gets an early safety but we give up a 55 yard FG as the 1st half ends.  CY, on his way to MVP status, wins the game with his second safety late in the 4th.  We get the ball back and run out the clock with the brand new Patto drill.  WFT 4 - LAC 3

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

I see a close and hard fought game. Their D is as legit as ours and think both teams will be able to get to the QB. I see plenty of screens to Ekeler. I think Parham, Cook and Palmer could be problems too. Rountree is underrated. Far be it from me to toot my own horn :) but we should have drafted their LB Nick Niemann as I suggested months ago who's looking like a steal.

• Like 1

Yanno, here's my take, we have a brutal schedule but tough ****, that's the prize for winning the div last year. If yer gonna get good, be good, you play the good and see how you stack up.

Personally I look at the schedule and I don't see one game we can't be in. We won't win 'em all, that's goofy, but competitive? Give 'em a run for it? I don't see one matchup that's a complete write off ( the way we usually were pre-Ron). 

Worried about the Chahjahs? Pffft, let them worry about us