Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Preseason 2021 - Football Team vs. Ravens

zCommander

10 minutes ago, Borgold said:

Stupid cell phone with its auto-fills.

There's always Houston. They might give us three firsts.

There's a part of me that wondered if this is the first game where Patterson's nerves caught up with him. He knew he was close to his dream and just had to "not screw it up." Sometimes, that can mess with your head.

If I'm RR I'm looking to PS Patterson and scanning the waiver wire for a 4th back....Patterson is a nice story but I gotta believe there are better backs elsewhere ready to produce on an NFL roster. Feel good stories are great but if Benny Snell gets cut in Pittsburgh I'm scooping him up over Patterson....

• Like 1

If a starter got hurt you all would cry that they shouldn't be playing.  They don't play you cry cause you think they should.  Lol you all are funny. We have a hard schedule but I think our D can win is games and at times Fitz can win us some games.  Im looking forward to a 10-7 season. I think our team is improving and that's all you can ask for.  HTTR

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

They don't play you cry cause you think they should. 

Especially in the face of the Raven's potentially loosing Dobbins, and then Bal doubling down w/ Lamar getting smacked around instead of calling safe plays to get him out of the game

We would be beside ourselves if we were in the same boat w/ Gibby

Edited by FootballZombie

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I’m kinda old school and believe that our offense needs reps. I expect a sloppy start to the season. We shall see.

I’m not surprised that Heinicke isn’t playing. Gotta protect the franchise. 

Luckily the opening opponent never played any of their main starters the entire preseason, so if your theory holds water they will be even sloppier. 

• Like 2

Honestly, the preseason provided more questions than answers.

QB: All the hype on Fitz and not only did he barely play but what was there was unimpressive. Heineke looked shaky and Allen looked bad.

TE: We have a starter but still don’t know if we have quality backups.

WR: McLaurin is a stud but we didn’t see Curtis. Our supposed depth at this position didn’t show much since the QB situation is so shaky. Dyami made a few plays but no one other than Terry stood out.

OL: Looked fine to me, so that’s good.

DL: Looked fine.

LB: Nothing stood out.

Secondary: Seemed fine.

Depth: Sketchy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

Tonight was all about the bubble guys fighting a spot on the roster.  Let's see what happens on Tuesday with cutdown day

Why wait. I’d make cutdowns before you go to sleep Ronny.

1 hour ago, HoggLife said:

If a starter got hurt you all would cry that they shouldn't be playing.  They don't play you cry cause you think they should.  Lol you all are funny. We have a hard schedule but I think our D can win is games and at times Fitz can win us some games.  Im looking forward to a 10-7 season. I think our team is improving and that's all you can ask for.  HTTR

No one in the nfc east will win more than 9 games.

1 hour ago, HoggLife said:

No one in the nfc east will win more than 9 games.

I don't care if we lost 137-3, I'm ok with resting starters.  I'd rather be a little rusty out of the gate than be down a valuable starter out the gate.   And being rusty due to resting starters is overblown: if they played more than a couple series that would've been dumb due to risk, and a couple series aren't going to make that big of a difference in the long run.  We have a ton of reasons to be excited for the start of the season, and every team has areas for improvement.  Let's get it started.

• Like 3

A couple quick observations;

1. I watched the game on NBCSports channel and they put up the players on the field.   I started to play a little game: how many players on this play will be on the team on Wednesday.  The most on any given play I counted was maybe 5 or 6 depending on how the cuts go. And that was early against the Raven’s starters.  By mid point of the first quarter that number was going down.  

2. I have no use for Kyle Allen.  I posted this in the training camp thread and took a beating.  He has a noodle arm, and is just so unbelievably “meh.” I would cut him and free up the roster spot.  I think he’s be available if you want to bring him back in a pinch later.   Others thought he would be scooped up.  I don’t.  Maybe I’m bias, I posted similar about his water-pistol arm strength  5 plays into his first start last year. He doesn’t have the physical tools, and now he’s returning from injury and rusty.  He was actively bad tonight. 

3. If Ron doesn’t bring in options for a look-see at kicker, the only reasonable explanation T this point is Dusty has some type of significant blackmail material on Ron, or his loved ones, or maybe Dan and Tonya.  Or all of them.  That first kick was yowza bad.  They’ve got to bring in options just to work out.  Maybe they do that after cut downs.  But it has to happen.  I think Dusty has the yips. 

4. John Harbaugh is a giant **** (male rooster) and he’s probably compensating for something. 

5. I’d keep both Milne and AGG.  The hard part will be getting either of them active on game day. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, dyst said:

QB: All the hype on Fitz and not only did he barely play but what was there was unimpressive.

That is awesome - we got "bad Fitz" out of the way, so now he's due to return to "good Fitz" in the opener - along with 17 years of experience kicking in, in place of a preseason !

We're gonna give the L.A. Chargers such a beating, they're gonna think they need to return to San Diego !

The Ultimate Fighter Sport GIF by UFC

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I see the "it doesnt mean anything its just preseason" crowd is out again in full force.  Not to be a downer, but those are the lies we have literally told ourselves for decades.  Losing in preseason isnt an issue.  Getting destroyed may mean something else...We are not nearly as good as the Ravens. Of course that doesnt mean we wont make the playoffs, and it doesnt mean we dont have good starters, but our depth is really poor based on that and depth is important in the NFL.

Allen was terrible, and that game solidified that he doesnt have a future in the NFL.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

4. John Harbaugh is a giant **** (male rooster) and he’s probably compensating for something. 

The Ravens won the pre-season "Beltway Bowl" again.  Good for them.  Remember when they gave their QB Coach Jim Zorn a Gatorade bath after winning that pre-season game? 

Hopefully J.K. Dobbins isn't seriously injured.  

5 hours ago, Hdf561 said:

Typical….I knew this season was over when the sports talk people started picking this team to compete for a playoff spot….this “football team” is as lost as its name represents. No passion, no buy in, no history, no name, no nothing….absolutely sucks to be at this point where the only joy I get out of this team is winning a bet a placed against them. 

Wait, you bet against them in a preseason game and that’s the only joy you get? Man, you better not be posting around here when they’re riding high. I’m gonna make it my personal mission to never let you forget your pathetic allegiance.

Don’t worry, I’m keeping tabs on all the “fans” that have already basically thrown in the towel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Good for the Ravens.  They set a meaningless record for games that don't count. Now they can go play in the games that do count and then lose to Chiefs or the Titans in the playoffs again.

They practice like they play, while we evaluate players in vanilla scheme.

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

One of their star players was also seriously injured in a game that could not have less meaning to anyone who isn't trying to make a roster.  I can see both sides of the coin on this one.  Maybe you go into the season firing on all cylinders taking their approach.  Maybe a significant contributor gets hurt in a game that has absolutely nothing to do with how things have shaped up in February.  Maybe if you sit all your starters and play guys who will be working the cash register at Safeway this time next week...you go into the season flat.

I guess we will find out Week 1.    

• Like 2

7 hours ago, redskinss said:

Earlier today I had a choice to make, I could stay home and watch the game or go to a party I was invited to.

Thank God I chose the latter because there doesn't seem to be any reason to have watched that game.

I may not even watch the recording.

Don't.

There is nothing worth seeing and it is in no way (I feel) a reflection on what this team will be in the regular season.

2 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

While I think that's true, the most interesting thing to me was the first drive. While the Ravens most down the field pretty easily, our 3s got 2 sacks on their MVP mobile QB and held them to a field goal opportunity. After that point, our practice teamers, cuts, and deep back ups didn't hold up well. I Now, I don't know the Raven's roster all that well, but I do know that there were a few names that I was hearing in the first quarter that I was also hearing in the fourth.

Now, if I had to make a bet, I think if you put Tampa Bay's or Kansas City's fourth teamers against Baltimore's starters, they'd look like bums, too. To leaven that, it didn't get much better as the night wore on. What that suggests to me is that the roster reconstruction Ron has done in a year hasn't been enough to overcome all the damage left by Allen. Our depth, especially our deep depth, isn't good enough.

I thought I'd end though on a positive note. As ugly as yesterday was, and it was real ugly, the team played clean. We were called for very few penalties. Our fours, fives, and sixes didn't jump offsides, get caught for holding, etc. and the penalties they did call on us... like the roughing call on a scrambling QB was a little iffy.

Hopefully, the lack of penalties does follow through into the regular season.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

The highlight of the game was that girl dancing in the stand (I assume you got the same coverage as me). We were laughing so hard, I said wait until you see the Dance Team. Camera turned to them, we could hardly breath for laughing. Are they not professionals anymore? They look like they literally came in off the street.

And those uniforms!