Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

What is more boring - usually - than extra points?   Hop makes extra points an adventure.  I know I wait those extra 40 seconds after a TD to watch the point after before I go to the fridge.  He's injecting some excitement into the game.

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, tomwvr said:

Any kicker that has lost as many games as Hopkins has over the years would not be on a team. Over the last 3 years he is statically one of the worst kickers in the league

Which stats are you using on this one?

In 2018 guy was .897 with 4/5 over 50... (2018 was his personnal best season individually).

2019, guy was .833 with 2/3 over 50 as well...

2020 was not a great year with .794 and 2/4 over 50.

That's hardly "one of the worst kickers in the league".

If you want to go with the game lost:

2018: We lost to the Texans 23/21, he missed one. That's one loss.

Still, we beat the Jaguars: 16/13 and made 3 of his FG. Beat Cowboys 20/17 and made 2 FG. Panthers 23/17, 3 FG.

So for 2018 he was 3-1

2019: Well he missed some FGs, but none of them would have gotten us a W. So he didn't cost any game. Still, we beat Panthers, Lions, Dolphins, 29/21 (4 FG), 19/16 (4 FG), 17/16 (1FG with one miss), respectively. In fact he was the main part of our only 3 wins that year. 3-0.

2020: He was faulty against Lions and Giants as he missed 1 FG in both games (2/3 in both). But bailed us against 49ers and Steelers. 3FGs in each game. (23/15 & 23/17).

So he was 2/2.

Over the last 3 years the guy is 8 W - 3 L.

The team as a whole had 17 Wins over the last 3 years.

So Hopkins is responsible for almost half our wins these last 3 years.

I'm wondering which stats you are using that shows that he's one of the worst kickers over those last three years.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Then you must consider weather conditions and other factors in ones made vs missed.

I didn't see any rain, wind, snow or hail in the dome on Sunday. Those of us who are questioning Hopkins right now are not idiots, and we understand that kickers have bad days and that shouldn't cost them their job. 

Dustin is likely a very average NFL kicker over the course of his career (84% FG%). He's been to no pro bowls or made any all pro teams.

He is: 13 for 26 over 50 yards (50%)

53 for 65 from 40-49 yards (81%)

47 for 51 from 30-39 yards ((92%)

44 for 45 from 20 -29 yards (98%)

Extra points he is 177 for 188 (94%)....Touchback % is 73.4%

In 2020 Hopkins went 27 for 34 on FG's for 79%

In 2019 DHop went 25 for 30....83%

The average NFL FG% in 2020 was 84.6%......DHop is below that (79%).

He does appear to be above the average in touchback % which is important. 

Source: Pro Football Reference.com

He's an average kicker. Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to find another average kicker, who can make extra points.  He was a gnats ass from a double shank on the game winner vs NY. 2 EP shanks last week. It's just, we have enough drama already to be sweating extra ****ing points. lol 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Which stats are you using on this one?

In 2018 guy was .897 with 4/5 over 50... (2018 was his personnal best season individually).

2019, guy was .833 with 2/3 over 50 as well...

2020 was not a great year with .794 and 2/4 over 50.

That's hardly "one of the worst kickers in the league".

If you want to go with the game lost:

2018: We lost to the Texans 23/21, he missed one. That's one loss.

Still, we beat the Jaguars: 16/13 and made 3 of his FG. Beat Cowboys 20/17 and made 2 FG. Panthers 23/17, 3 FG.

So for 2018 he was 3-1

2019: Well he missed some FGs, but none of them would have gotten us a W. So he didn't cost any game. Still, we beat Panthers, Lions, Dolphins, 29/21 (4 FG), 19/16 (4 FG), 17/16 (1FG with one miss), respectively. In fact he was the main part of our only 3 wins that year. 3-0.

2020: He was faulty against Lions and Giants as he missed 1 FG in both games (2/3 in both). But bailed us against 49ers and Steelers. 3FGs in each game. (23/15 & 23/17).

So he was 2/2.

Over the last 3 years the guy is 8 W - 3 L.

The team as a whole had 17 Wins over the last 3 years.

So Hopkins is responsible for almost half our wins these last 3 years.

I'm wondering which stats you are using that shows that he's one of the worst kickers over those last three years.

What about the miss against the Bengals in London ?

That cost us a win.

Yes it was a Tie, as a opposed to a Loss, but if IIRC that Tie, and that FG miss, also cost us the playoffs that year, in addition to costing us the win.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What about the miss against the Bengals in London ?

That cost us a win.

Yes it was a Tie, as a opposed to a Loss, but if IIRC that Tie, and that FG miss, also cost us the playoffs that year, in addition to costing us the win.

That was 2016.

Outside the 3 year range then.

Or I don't know how to count... Which might be right, I'm getting old...

30 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

He's an average kicker. Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to find another average kicker, who can make extra points.  He was a gnats ass from a double shank on the game winner vs NY. 2 EP shanks last week. It's just, we have enough drama already to be sweating extra ****ing points. lol 

I mean, we could have Harrison butker from the chiefs who missed 5 (maybe more?) extra points last season.....

Hopkins, like most of the defense is underachieving....we can't fire all of the players so that means the coaches need to step up their game. Something tells me that if we had Dan Quinn as our DC right now we would not be playing this poorly. 

The special teams coach needs to get DHop back on track doing whatever it takes....a night of drinking, a day in a moonbounce park, sky-diving, hypnotism, eating a fiery red hot pepper? I don't know what will work for DHop but someone needs to figure out how to get him right.

8 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Dustin, go practice your kicks instead of posting in this thread. 

Cause people that point out that other kickers missed more extra points last season must clearly be Dustin Hopkins......you found out my secret. 

What did i say that was wrong? Would you rather have a kicker that missed FIVE extra points last year? (This is not a difficult answer)

14 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Cause people that point out that other kickers missed more extra points last season must clearly be Dustin Hopkins......you found out my secret. 

What did i say that was wrong? Would you rather have a kicker that missed FIVE extra points last year? (This is not a difficult answer)

I would rather have Butker than Hopkins, absolutely.  And it looks like he missed 6 PATs last season.  Though he attempted as many as Hopkins did in 2019 and 2020 combined.

Edited by Ball Security

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

I would rather have Butker than Hopkins, absolutely.  And it looks like he missed 6 PATs last season.  Though he attempted as many as Hopkins did in 2019 and 2020 combined.

I guarantee if he was our kicker and had missed 6 extra points, people here would be calling for his head. 

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I didn't see any rain, wind, snow or hail in the dome on Sunday. Those of us who are questioning Hopkins right now are not idiots, and we understand that kickers have bad days and that shouldn't cost them their job. 

Well apparently you didn't watch last nights game did you. lol

Weather delay inside a dome...I thought id seen it all. lol

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

fox sports live error GIFtim and eric GIF

yeah, can’t imagine what jokes opposing teams fans will make to us if he misses a FG for us 😂

Bring him in! All the more motivation for him not to miss! As an old Army chaplain used to say  "Don't give the ****s the satisfaction!".

People need to STOP citing Hopkins FG% and other useless stats…he’s not being asked to even attempt FG’s that other kickers make with regularity, so of course it doesn’t show up in his stats that he can’t even be trusted to attempt those kicks. We don’t give him a chance to miss them! And it effects our decision-making and playcalling every week. It’s something that can’t show up in the statistics. He’s much worse than his FG% over the years would indicate. Those only represent the shorter kicks that we trust him to try.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

People need to STOP citing Hopkins FG% and other useless stats…he’s not being asked to even attempt FG’s that other kickers make with regularity, so of course it doesn’t show up in his stats that he can’t even be trusted to attempt those kicks. We don’t give him a chance to miss them! And it effects our decision-making and playcalling every week. It’s something that can’t show up in the statistics. He’s much worse than his FG% over the years would indicate. Those only represent the shorter kicks that we trust him to try.  

I thought that too until I looked up numbers for other kickers, Butker, Carlson, Crosby.  Three random guys that are recognizable.  Butker attempted 2 more 50+ and Crosby 1 more 50+ from 2018-2020.  Carlson attempted 3 less (but only kicked in 12 games in 2018).  Those numbers were a lot closer than I thought.  

Prater on the other hand…