Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

Maybe some of Washington's field goal problems is that the kicking unit (with it's new long-snapper, Cheeseman) hasn't gelled yet.

I'm not a big Hopkins fan, but I'm not a fan of snap decisions about getting rid of kickers, because there's always a "learning curve" when you bring in the new one.  Also,  I'm curious what the Washington special teams coach thinks about getting rid of Hopkins.

I remember when Washington decided it had to part company with Graham Gano.  In hindsight, maybe staying the course might have been the best approach.  Evidently, Gano still well-regarded by many in the NFL.

Edited by Wyvern

4 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Maybe some of Washington's field goal problems is that the kicking unit (with it's new long-snapper, Cheeseman) hasn't gelled yet.

I'm not a big Hopkins fan, but I'm not a fan of snap decisions about getting rid of kickers, because there's always a "learning curve" when you bring in the new one.  Also,  I'm curious what the Washington special teams coach thinks about getting rid of Hopkins.

I remember when Washington decided it had to part company with Graham Gano.  In hindsight, maybe staying the course might have been the best approach.  Evidently, Gano still well-regarded by many in the NFL.

Come on man. High schoolers regularly hit short FGs. The long snapper is not the problem here.

• Like 2

If he had made the two XPs that he missed, the game would have been tied and we would have won 37-30.  That's an enormous amount of points for this team, as it stands right now, especially with the defense sucking & unable to stop anything or tackle anyone. 

The radio guys were having fits when I was driving from the train station home.  :ols:

I like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

It ended up not costing us the game, so for me, until it actually does cost the team a game, I’m fine with keeping him on the team. 

it’s obvious we aren’t going to agree so I’m going to exit this conversation now. 

That’s terrible reasoning. Technically Bostic’s missed tackle didn’t cost us the game but he still needs to be benched. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

OK, so who's gonna replace him?

Anyone?

Ideas?

{ crickets }

This team never keeps a kicker more than 3-4 years; Kai Forbath, Graham Gano, David Akers { don't even get me started with him } Nick Novak, and the list goes on.

We drop a kicker, they sign somewhere else and have a career for years, some STILL playing today!  

So, when Heinicke throws a pick they should cut him, right?

When McLaurin drops a TD pass they should cut him, right?

When Gibson fumbles the ball they should cut him, right? 

Its a good thing some here are not a team owner, they'd probably not have a single player

Here's a cute summary. We cut Gano because he was a 60-70% kicker, but became amazingly accurate AFTER we cut him. It's not the kicker it's our curse.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=graham+gano+stats

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We have to at least bring in competition during the week. You can't miss two XPs in one game in a freaking dome.

Slye is free again. Texans just released him as their usual kicker makes his return from IR. If the knock on his is that he misses the occasional XP, he'd still be an upgrade. He's young and improving while Hops seems to be on a steep downhill slope. 

• Like 1

My thing is who else do you get?  Who out there is clearly a better option?  I was on board with Joey Sly getting signed once Carolina cut him then I saw him stink up the joint vs Carolina last week and said whew I'm glad we didn't sign him.

Then I watch today as Randy Bullock who I know no one truly wants as he has been from Houston to LAC to Cincy to Tennessee miss a game tieing FG and said to myself if we don't trust him as far as Xps are concerned then let's go for 2 more often then not... As long as we can make 50% of 2pt conversions it will equal out... Hell if we just make 30% it would equal out to what we would have with Hops missed XPs.

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Slye is free again. Texans just released him as their usual kicker makes his return from IR. If the knock on his is that he misses the occasional XP, he'd still be an upgrade. He's young and improving while Hops seems to be on a steep downhill slope. 

I was gonna say Slye, too

Also, how about Gostkowski ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Be one thing if Hopkins has been killing it and just this season its been a problem.  I get that you could easily go through a few kickers and some growing pains before finding the right one.  We arguably lost the Seattle game last year because his extra point miss.   We could have lost yesterday because of them.   These days some teams have kickers who can actually kick a 55-60 yard field goal from time to time, it doesn't feel outrageous.  With Hopkins its out of reach.   He's not clutch.  Yes there are worst kickers then him but he was statistically a bottom rung kicker last year, I am guessing he will be this year too albeit his field goal percentage thus far is good and was saved some by that penality in the Giants game. 

His field goal percentage last year was under 80%.  His long was 51 yards.  His career long is 56.  He's trending the wrong way. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

They had Eddie Pineiro who they released from the PS.  Just bring him back and sign him.  Hopkins is pure TRASH!  He did cost them in Week 2 if not for the Dexter Lawrence penalty and nearly did it today.  

Interesting that some believed that Hopkins nearly cost us the game.

In my view, it's more like, the D nearly cost us the game. 2 of the 4 TD for Atlanta were WTF moments. Be it the the 4 missed tackles on Davis, or Patterson all alone deep midfield that was wondering where was the Safety, only to find a second later that well,  he could jog into the endzone freely.

I'm fine blaming the Kicker on a late second field goal miss in a toe to toe game when both teams are fighting teeth and nails on both side.

But since the beginning of the season, blaming the L or near L on the kicker, is blaming the tree in front of the forest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm fine blaming the Kicker on a late second field goal miss in a toe to toe game when both teams are fighting teeth and nails on both side.

But since the beginning of the season, blaming the L or near L on the kicker, is blaming the tree in front of the forest.

I hear ya, but extra points should be automatic. Missing two extra points in one game should never happen. It shouldn't even happen on the college level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

the only thing we're confident in Hopkins doing right now is kickoffs into the endzone. Not FGs, not XPs. That's tough. 

with the expanded PS, I don't know why they haven't had a kicker there this whole time.

Accountability is needed. Whether that's Hopkins or Collins or Bostic. Not doing much and being a liability aren't always the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I hear ya, but extra points should be automatic. Missing two extra points in one game should never happen. It shouldn't even happen on the college level.

They have been moved back to 35 yards because it was automatic and TVs weren't even showing the play on tv and rather puts ads instead of it.

Now they aren't as automatic as we'd like it to be.

XP being missed are now uncommon in the NFL.

Still I agree that missing two XPs in the same game shouldn't happen. I'm expecting his Coach to do its job so that doesn't happen again.

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

Sorry I don't agree Wildbunny. Yes the defense has been trash, but Hopkins has been steaming garbage for years now. It's okay to highlight his inadequacies as well as the defense.

I think you're a bit tough on the "trash" qualification.

He had a bad game obviously, a very bad one. But I'm more confident in him fixing his mistakes than our D fixing theirs.

We had those same debates years ago with guys like Graham Gano or Shaun Suisham, just to name those two. It didn't helped much in the end. Firing Hopkins to replace him with X or Y won't makes us a playoff contender.