Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

There's going to be a whole lot of "I told you so's" when he costs us a game, and he will.

I understand RR stating that he's our kicker, because it's obviously a lack of confidence that's making him miss, but surely trying out a few kickers is the logical thing to do. Healthy competition and all that.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We have to at least bring in competition during the week. You can't miss two XPs in one game in a freaking dome.

but there was inclement weather inside that dome... we all witnessed it.  Buttfumble couldnt stop talking about it.

0cf5270216f2c4727f4ffe69279b7a6f.gif

sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. how much time have they had together to practice snapping and kicking the damn ball? Honestly I think me and a couple buddies could snap and hold with days worth of practice like they've already had lmao. we've seen this guy over the years and he cant get it done. Ron's loyalty to him is perplexing. Could have been 0-4 because of him very easily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

image.png.145723dbbfd86b495a2b7ceb22d8a594.png

Every time I yell for the team to replace the kicker I think about Graham Gano.  How we mocked him as "oh no" Gano!  Now look at him, one of the very best.  I tend to agree with Rivera.  Play it out.  If pulls out of the slump then great.  If not, replace him next year.  He's not that far off.  And every miss is strangely to the right.  

I'm sure if RR even hinted about being concerned with the kicking game it would create a huge negative for Hopkins, to the point where he'd feel so much pressure on every single kick whether an extra point or FG that it could cause him to start missing damn near everything. 

Kickers are a unique group of people, they do things differently. I'm sure he doesn't like the fact that he's missed some kicks and i'm sure he's working on correcting it. 

As soon as a player starts making a few mistakes, its " cut the bum" " bench his sorry ass" "trade him for a ham sammich". 

This team's luck they cut him and he signs with another team who ends up knocking us outta postseason, then the same fans would whine " how come he didn't do that here? " Because you didn't give him the chance.  Plain and simple.

6 hours ago, London Kev said:

There's going to be a whole lot of "I told you so's" when he costs us a game, and he will.

I understand RR stating that he's our kicker, because it's obviously a lack of confidence that's making him miss, but surely trying out a few kickers is the logical thing to do. Healthy competition and all that.

Missing not one, but two extra points....in a dome, is virtually impossible for an NFL kicker. It's unfathomable. In fact, I wonder if it's ever happened before, a kicker missing two extra points in a domed stadium. Kickers should be almost automatic in a dome. I still can't believe it happened as I'm typing this.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I'm sure if RR even hinted about being concerned with the kicking game it would create a huge negative for Hopkins, to the point where he'd feel so much pressure on every single kick whether an extra point or FG that it could cause him to start missing damn near everything. 

Kickers are a unique group of people, they do things differently. I'm sure he doesn't like the fact that he's missed some kicks and i'm sure he's working on correcting it. 

As soon as a player starts making a few mistakes, its " cut the bum" " bench his sorry ass" "trade him for a ham sammich". 

This team's luck they cut him and he signs with another team who ends up knocking us outta postseason, then the same fans would whine " how come he didn't do that here? " Because you didn't give him the chance.  Plain and simple.

Didn't give him a chance? How many years has he been on the roster here? And he's getting to the point where he is missing "damn near everything". We should've lost the NYG game because he choked on the first kick....we're lucky the refs bailed him out on a very close offsides call. Yesterday he missed two extra points in a dome...most college kickers wouldn't do that. Hopkins is a mess right now and we are dodging bullets by continuing to run him out there. I do agree with you that kickers are a rare breed but they are paid to make kicks, if they can't do that then unemployment can come quickly. Ron is on record as saying he likes competition, that should be the case with his struggling kicker too. Sign a kicker and put DH on the practice squad til he figures it out, if he ever does. He's not a bum but he's far from a solid NFL kicker right now. 

Exactly Kingdaddy. This isn't a new thing this year, he's been inconsistent at best for years. That and his incredibly short range. Most (I would imagine all) NFL kickers can kick it confidently over 50 yards. We don't even try a kick over 49 as we all know he will miss it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Exactly Kingdaddy. This isn't a new thing this year, he's been inconsistent at best for years. That and his incredibly short range. Most (I would imagine all) NFL kickers can kick it confidently over 50 yards. We don't even try a kick over 49 as we all know he will miss it.

Ya know, you guys should REALLY, really go look at some NFL stats on kickers.

There are like 3 who are almost automatic { but are NOT actually } and the rest all have stats similar to Hopkins. Some may have attempted more FGs of 50+ yds but have similar results.

The same with XPs, its not an "automatic" thing, thats why the league backed them up. Then you must consider weather conditions and other factors in ones made vs missed.

There's just no point in discussing it with some, they're gonna see what they're gonna see, facts be damned...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ball Security said:

People keep talking about cutting him.  Really?  How many games have we won this year where he hasn’t missed two  xtra points or got bailed out on a missed FG?  Keep doing your thing, Hop!

Any kicker that has lost as many games as Hopkins has over the years would not be on a team. Over the last 3 years he is statically one of the worst kickers in the league

• Sad 1

And the 2020 figures are helped because he finished strongly (for some reason) but had a horrendous middle part of the season. I watch a lot of football, I'm not just a Redskins fan. Hopkins always looks as if he is going to miss. Of course other kickers miss FGs but they don't look as if they will miss as they walk up for the kick. Maybe it IS a confidence thing with him.

2 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Hopkins always looks as if he is going to miss.

I'm not big on anecdotal stuff like this, but I get the same feeling you do.  I rarely see a look of confidence and it's like the ball needs to hook in there.  I mentioned it a few days ago, but he appears to have more turn on his kicks than most kickers I see.  Like a golfer trying to draw the ball from right to left, I see the same out of a lot of his kicks.  Sometimes they don't turn over and they miss - it's a real problem, that I don't notice from really anyone else.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1