Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

You can sit and pout and cry about how everything is so bad, or you can take that first step to fixing it. Firing the kicker who forces the team to go for it on 4th down because they don't trust him is the team's first step. It doesn't stop there, it should start there.

I think the Spanish army used a strategy when they invaded Mexico that forced everyone to go all in.  Burn the boats, so there can be no retreat.  It is win or die.  Helps people stay focused on winning.  WFT could make the kicker and punter inactive... keep them focused on scoring TDs.

Edited by Nerm
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Only 2 misses this year, out of 12. He made the other 10. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

As “off” as he was, he was still 12/14 though. I’d take that type of “off” any day

Extrapolated over the course of a season, that's not an awesome look. Especially the PAT's.

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

Extrapolated over the course of a season, that's not an awesome look. Especially the PAT's.

I don’t care what his stats might have been at the end of the season, i care about what the stats were TO THIS POINT. And to this point, he was 10/12 for extra points. 10/12 is somehow BAD? Huh?? In what universe 

The list of kickers who were cut by Washington and went on to great success elsewhere is long: Akers, Forbath, Gano, Novack, and Suisham, come to mind. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Hopkins is the next one to either lead the conference in scoring for someone else, or make the Pro Bowl, or kick in the Super Bowl.

On a secondary note... Blewitt? Really? jebus...

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t care what his stats might have been at the end of the season, i care about what the stats were TO THIS POINT. And to this point, he was 10/12 for extra points. 10/12 is somehow BAD? Huh?? In what universe 

Those, combined with his past, are still numbers worthy of bringing in competition. Even just 10/12 PAT's isn't exactly great. Those should be almost gimme's. His inconsistency is mind-boggling at times. Not every kicker can be a Vinitieri, but this isn't just a slump.

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Those, combined with his past, are still numbers worthy of bringing in competition. Even just 10/12 PAT's isn't exactly great. Those should be almost gimme's. His inconsistency is mind-boggling at times. Not every kicker can be a Vinitieri, but this isn't just a slump.

Missing 2 extra points (while making the other 10) is not a “slump”. Every kicker has a bad day. The panthers are 13/15 on extra points. The saints are 16/18. 

I’m really starting to lose my faith in Rivera.  We’ve had Hopkins here for 6 years.  We know his MO is not being able to make 50 YD FGs, being accurate inside of 50 YDS, but missing crucial extra points, and costing this team victories year after year.  In the preseason, where we saw Hopkins miss 2 FG’s in the New England game, Rivera was asked if there needed to be competition in the kicking game, and Rivera kept praising Hopkins, and told the press he would stick with Hopkins.  Hopkins could’ve cost us the Giants game, and the Falcons game, where he missed 2 XP’s, and we had to eek out a win against Atlanta.  He also missed a FG in the opener against the Chargers, where we could’ve won that one in the 4th with a game winning FG drive, instead of going for a game winning TD drive.  Year after year this guy continues to either blow games, and Rivera decided that in Week 7, he would finally make a move on Hopkins.

I sorry, this is the definition of incompetence.  You make a move BEFORE the season, not until Week 7.  Why the hell did he wait until now?  It just speaks to really poor management and accountability.

Edited by samy316

12 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Missing 2 extra points (while making the other 10) is not a “slump”. Every kicker has a bad day. The panthers are 13/15 on extra points. The saints are 16/18. 

What about the 28 other kickers that rank higher than him in XP%?

What about the fact that we can’t even attempt a FG longer than 50 yards because he doesn’t have the leg to get it there?

Beyond the stats, just look at the amount of turn on his kicks.  Even his makes sneak in there.  If Im the head coach, I have anxiety every time I choose to kick for points.

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I sorry, this is the definition of incompetence.  You make a move BEFORE the season, not until Week 7.  Why the hell did he wait until now?

And get who exactly?  As is rather obvious by us signing a guy named Blewwit who has never kicked in the NFL, the market for kickers isn’t exactly booming.

And what purpose would it serve for him to tell the press that he doesn’t believe in Hops and plans to replace him?  I understand that as fans we want blood when a player stinks up the joint.  But it’s of no value for the head coach to crap on a guy he’s probably going to need and needs to have confidence.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

And what do you have to say about us going for it on 4th and 10 because we dont trust Hopkins to kick a FG over 50 yards?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Do you think Jason Wright is preparing to announce Hopkins' jersey retirement tomorrow for the game in Green Bay?

Theismann, only he'll get Haskins and his girl for the ceremony.

Then she'll beat him in front of everyone.

It would be quite a stretch for anyone out there who is reading this to say that they didn’t get nervous and have lots of doubts every time Hop went out on the field to kick a field goal or an extra point.  The guy inspired absolutely no confidence that he could make a field goal from anywhere on the field.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What about the 28 other kickers that rank higher than him in XP%?

What about the fact that we can’t even attempt a FG longer than 50 yards because he doesn’t have the leg to get it there?

Beyond the stats, just look at the amount of turn on his kicks.  Even his makes sneak in there.  If Im the head coach, I have anxiety every time I choose to kick for points.

And get who exactly?  As is rather obvious by us signing a guy named Blewwit who has never kicked in the NFL, the market for kickers isn’t exactly booming.

And what purpose would it serve for him to tell the press that he doesn’t believe in Hops and plans to replace him?  I understand that as fans we want blood when a player stinks up the joint.  But it’s of no value for the head coach to crap on a guy he’s probably going to need and needs to have confidence.

I don't understand your point. Are you in favor or against cutting Hopkins? It seems like you're just defending whatever Rivera did in the moment he did it. 

Your first 3 paragraphs scream "he should have been cut" yet your next one seems to imply there's not a better option out there. 

Also, Rivera could have handled this much better in the press also...without looking so contradictory or wishy-washy. When asked after the game, he easily could have said "We need to be better at that position. We've worked out guys the past couple weeks and we are continuing to work with Dustin. We will continue to evaluate options and choose the one we believe gives us the best chance to be successful at the kicking position."

He isn't saying anything we don't all know, but he's also leaving both options open to the team. It's also not throwing Hopkins under the bus since I'm sure he would even say he shouldn't be missing 40-yard FGs and multiple PATs. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't understand your point. Are you in favor or against cutting Hopkins? It seems like you're just defending whatever Rivera did in the moment he did it.

I was today days old when I saw @BatteredFanSyndrome get accused of blindly supporting the team for the first time.

More to the point, when we canned Cundiff, we signed a guy who hadn't kicked a field goal in the NFL yet then as well. He then went on to set a record for most consecutive field goals made without a miss to start a career.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I was today days old when I saw @BatteredFanSyndrome get accused of blindly supporting the team for the first time.

I don't follow who's who very closely...so maybe I swung and missed on that. The post itself went from "you can't keep someone that bad" to "who could you pick up that's any better" so I was confused. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't follow who's who very closely...so maybe I swung and missed on that. The post itself went from "you can't keep someone that bad" to "who could you pick up that's any better" so I was confused. 

His point wasn't that there's no one better out there. His point is that there's no reason to publicly make Hopkins walk the plank to give us a spectacle. Rivera decided Hopkins wasn't doing well enough, so he cut him without any fanfare.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Read the whole post. 

If it's about the "And get who exactly?  As is rather obvious by us signing a guy named Blewwit who has never kicked in the NFL, the market for kickers isn’t exactly booming.", it's about people complaining specifically about Blewitt and his lack of NFL experience. There isn't some huge can't-miss kicker out there, so going with an unproven one is the natural course of action. All the available kickers are unproven, and all the good ones started out as unproven.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Your first 3 paragraphs scream "he should have been cut" yet your next one seems to imply there's not a better option out there. 

Also, Rivera could have handled this much better in the press also...without looking so contradictory or wishy-washy. When asked after the game, he easily could have said "We need to be better at that position. We've worked out guys the past couple weeks and we are continuing to work with Dustin. We will continue to evaluate options and choose the one we believe gives us the best chance to be successful at the kicking position."

He isn't saying anything we don't all know, but he's also leaving both options open to the team. It's also not throwing Hopkins under the bus since I'm sure he would even say he shouldn't be missing 40-yard FGs and multiple PATs. 

I meant everything I said.

I am in favor of moving on from Hopkins and had been even prior to Sunday.  I’ll venture a guess that Rivera has been trying to hang on and not crush his confidence anymore than it already is.  

But moving on doesn’t necessarily mean that we are automatically going to replace him with someone better.  If there was always someone better available, it would make every coach and GM’s job a whole lot easier.  Solid kickers don’t just grow on trees nor is there much rhyme or reason for what separates those that last and those that don’t.

Kickers are unique creatures that need confidence hence why you don’t see as much competition for this position as you do other positions across the league.  

I just don’t and never have gotten into coach speak like so many of you guys seem to do.  I feel like fans put entirely too much stock into what a coach says.  As if he said what you said he should say about it changes anything about the scenario we find ourselves in.

I think he cut Hopkins to send the team a message.  The year Gibbs was 0=5 he cut one or two players to send a message to the locker room.

But I have a broader question for ESers to consider.  How does any NFL team know exactly when to cut a kicker without just relying on statistics?

Does the special teams coach look at the kicker's mechanics and then tell the Head Coach we cannot fix his mechanics?  In the past many teams

have been wrong about their kickers and those kickers moved on to other teams and performed better.   Part of kicking is mental too and how do

you decide if the guy has lost his concentration.  I think Rivera firing the snapper before the season started the downfall of our kicker.  Coach Ron

did not save a lot of money by cutting his veteran snapper so why did WFT cut him?