Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t give a **** if anyone thinks my defense of Hopkins was “puzzling”. If a kicker is 12/14 on field goals, that’s not awful at all. People saying “well, the missed 43 yard FG last week hurt the team” as if an extra 3 points was going to make any difference. The chiefs were still going to score, we weren’t going to beat them even with that 43 yard field goal 

The 12-14 isn't actually accurate though.

It's 12-15 if we include the mulligan that he got at the Giants. It's 12 of twenty-something if we include all the fifty yarders the coaches decided not to even try because they didn't trust their kicker's leg. Then there are the two missed extra points.

Regardless, the fact that the coaches didn't trust Hopkins on those fifty yarders may be worse than the misses. After the missed extra points, Rivera lost faith in Hopkins despite what he said publicly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Regardless, the fact that the coaches didn't trust Hopkins on those fifty yarders may be worse than the misses. After the missed extra points, Rivera lost faith in Hopkins despite what he said publicly.

I'm fine with that way of thinking.

I'm not that fine when kickers are hold to standards while other guys can repeatedly miss tackles, allow easy TD and whatever you want and still get to start the next sunday.

If the coach has high standards, fine. But have them for everyone on your team and apply the same rules to everyone.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm fine with that way of thinking.

I'm not that fine when kickers are hold to standards while other guys can repeatedly miss tackles, allow easy TD and whatever you want and still get to start the next sunday.

If the coach has high standards, fine. But have them for everyone on your team and apply the same rules to everyone.

I agree with you. I was hoping Rivera would be one of those accountability guys. I don't mind him sticking up for his guys in public, but we should have seen several demotions especially on defense. If a guy is constantly out of position, getting beat, and making the team suffer, they should have used the power of the bench. I mean it's hardly like the back ups could do that much worse, right? Even if they stink they couldn't do that much worse.

In some cases, if we played with ten guys, we wouldn't really see any practical difference in coverage than we have with the eleven who are starting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Most people in life find "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good" to be a good rule to follow. This thread is evidence that there are people who take it as far as "Don't let good be the enemy of mediocre."

I look at it like this;

I have my g/f and pretty much know her and she's fairly good to me.

I could dump her and go to a bar, but I just don't know what i'd pick up there. The 'unknowing' aspect of this organization combined with their track record doesn't bode well for the future...

• Like 1

It isn't about percentage.  Hopkins misses a lot of clutch kicks.  His percentage may be good, but you can go down the list of kicks he has missed at crucial times.  He missed the kick in England and we get a tie.  34 yard attempt wide left.  Whenever we need a big field goal or momentum shift, he blows it.  Consistently.  He reminds me of Rafeal Palmero when he was an Oriole.  He would put up 100 RBI's and 30-40 HR's each year, but none of them were game changing plays.  He would get HR's in either blow out wins or blow out losses, non of his hitting was timely, and that is the issue with Hopkins.  You don't trust him to make the big kick.  And that is what matters.  Ron went for a 4th and 10 because he didn't want to try a 55 yard FG because he lost faith.  And now you are impacting the coaching decisions.   

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Ron went for a 4th and 10 because he didn't want to try a 55 yard FG because he lost faith.  And now you are impacting the coaching decisions.   

There's a bunch of coaches that wouldn't go for a 55 yarder and rather go. Some would even be punting like Ron on week 1. FYI only 9 Kickers have made a 55 yarder or more this season.

Which is roughly 25% of NFL kickers.

Only 6 gave a better FG% in the NFL. (.857)

And when it comes to XP, 16 kickers have missed at least one. Which is half of the league.

One even already missed 5!

For the rest of your post go back to page 8 of this thread. For the missed tie in England, the guy won us 8 games over the last 3 years. For 3 losses.

Most of the time, we're just overreacting when it comes to kickers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

There's a bunch of coaches that wouldn't go for a 55 yarder and rather go. Some would even be punting like Ron on week 1. FYI only 9 Kickers have made a 55 yarder or more this season.

Which is roughly 25% of NFL kickers.

Only 6 gave a better FG% in the NFL. (.857)

And when it comes to XP, 16 kickers have missed at least one. Which is half of the league.

One even already missed 5!

For the rest of your post go back to page 8 of this thread. For the missed tie in England, the guy won us 8 games over the last 3 years. For 3 losses.

Most of the time, we're just overreacting when it comes to kickers.

It was only a few weeks ago that there were like 10 XPs and FGs missed, and that was just in the early games.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:27 AM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t give a **** if anyone thinks my defense of Hopkins was “puzzling”. If a kicker is 12/14 on field goals, that’s not awful at all. People saying “well, the missed 43 yard FG last week hurt the team” as if an extra 3 points was going to make any difference. The chiefs were still going to score, we weren’t going to beat them even with that 43 yard field goal 

I said nothing of his field goals. I was addressing your comment about Hopkins being 10-12 on extra points and it's silly to make that argument when 28 kickers are better on PATs.

If you are going to be critical of my post the least you could do is read it and respond accordingly.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I said nothing of his field goals. I was addressing your comment about Hopkins being 10-12 on extra points and it's silly to make that argument when 28 kickers are better on PATs.

If you are going to be critical of my post the least you could do is read it and respond accordingly.  

Yeah, no ****, I know you didn’t mention the field goals. Never said you did. My post was more about how I don’t give a **** if people think my defense of Hopkins is puzzling in general. 

however, i will share this site that shows that Hopkins was 13th in PATs. Where are you getting that 28 kickers were better? 

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/kicking/2021/regular-season

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah, no ****, I know you didn’t mention the field goals. Never said you did. My post was more about how I don’t give a **** if people think my defense of Hopkins is puzzling in general. 

however, i will share this site that shows that Hopkins was 13th in PATs. Where are you getting that 28 kickers were better? 

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/kicking/2021/regular-season

I'm not sure where you are getting that he is ranked 13th  He is listed as 13th in total points according to your link but we are discussing PATs.  That list is longer than 32 names, obviously containing kickers who only kicked for a few games.  So if we eliminate the kickers at the bottom who must have been released and just look at the kickers who have played in 5 games or more Hopkins' PAT percentage ranks 24th out of 27 kickers, the only 2 who have a worse % are Vizcaino in SD, Folk who just needs one more make to tie Hopkins and the guy on the Jets who only had 4 attempts for some reason. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Don't fire the kicker.

Blewitt put the 45 yarder almost straight down the middle. It's unfortunate his 42 yarder was blocked. He was strong on his kickoffs. If Blewitt can equal or better Hopkins, it's a win decision for Rivera because Blewitt only makes $780k, while Hopkins was making $2.5 million! That close to 2 million can be put to better use for another position player.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LetsBCooley said:

Blewitt put the 45 yarder almost straight down the middle. It's unfortunate his 42 yarder was blocked. He was strong on his kickoffs. If Blewitt can equal or better Hopkins, it's a win decision for Rivera because Blewitt only makes $780k, while Hopkins was making $2.5 million! That close to 2 million can be put to better use for another position player.

2M is no big deal compared to the $ put into Landon Collins or WJ3...

• Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, LetsBCooley said:

Actually Hopkins would be a vested veteran so since he was on the day one roster, his base salary was guaranteed. It looks like his base salary was a little under 600,000.

https://overthecap.com/player/dustin-hopkins/2231/