Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

2 minutes ago, Redd said:

It's gotta be a mental thing. He doesn't look hurt and the holds look good on his misses.  

Watch him play lights out when he's out of Washington.

We need to do the same and find someone that may have been struggling on another team but gets it right here. Lord knows we've let other kickers walk and do it on other teams.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Here’s how: because he’s 7/8. If he starts missing FGs again, I’ll lose faith in him. In the FG department, hes doing what we all wanted him to do, is he not? 

Not really. He would be 6 for 8 and we would be 1-3 if it weren't for an offside penalty. And he barely made the retake. He's costing us points and he's going keep on doing it if we don't move on. 

• Like 1

The problem with Hopkins is not that he doesn't have ability, it's that you are never confident he will make the kick.  We know he has the leg for it, but there is no rhyme or reason to his track record.  Like all of a sudden this season he seems to be pushing every kick wide-right, even on a lot of the kicks he has made they all seem headed towards the right cross bar, but some sneak past it before going wide.   

Every kicker will miss kicks, but there is a difference in having a kicker where you expect them to make it, and a kicker where you assume 50/50 every time they trot onto the field.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Not really. He would be 6 for 8 and we would be 1-3 if it weren't for an offside penalty. And he barely made the retake. He's costing us points and he's going keep on doing it if we don't move on. 

Barely made it but he made it. 7/8 is 7/8 is 7/8, no matter how it’s achieved. And what we all wanted him to do was make the FGs that count. 7/8 is doing just that. 

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The problem with Hopkins is not that he doesn't have ability, it's that you are never confident he will make the kick.  We know he has the leg for it, but there is no rhyme or reason to his track record.  Like all of a sudden this season he seems to be pushing every kick wide-right, even on a lot of the kicks he has made they all seem headed towards the right cross bar, but some sneak past it before going wide.   

Every kicker will miss kicks, but there is a difference in having a kicker where you expect them to make it, and a kicker where you assume 50/50 every time they trot onto the field.

Guy is hardly 50/50. At least that's not what his stats are telling us.

I believe that he's working in strides, he'll be average on one day, then he'll kick the next 15 FG with ease.

So that really seems to be a confidence problem that raises here and there for whatever reason.

I get the whole 'get rid of Hopkins, but every kicker goes through a slump now and then. 

If anyone should know about getting rid of kickers its this fanbase; one of which had a damn good career in Philly; another played against the WFT and made like 35 in a row.

This is the LEAST of the team's worries at this juncture, he'll get his act together, just don't give up on him. They're not exactly a dime a dozen, ya know...

11 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

I think the same. He has all the skill but seems to be struggling mentally. 

IMO its physical; body positioning. Alot of his kicks seem to linger around the right upright. 

Maybe not striding so far left when lining up will fix that

14 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Barely made it but he made it. 7/8 is 7/8 is 7/8, no matter how it’s achieved. And what we all wanted him to do was make the FGs that count. 7/8 is doing just that. 

Does his extra point percentage count for anything or is it ok for him to miss 2 in one game?

Just now, Florgon79 said:

Does his extra point percentage count for anything or is it ok for him to miss 2 in one game?

It ended up not costing us the game, so for me, until it actually does cost the team a game, I’m fine with keeping him on the team. 

it’s obvious we aren’t going to agree so I’m going to exit this conversation now. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Missing 2 extra points in one game is unacceptable. 

• Like 4

Just now, Burgold said:

Missing 2 extra points in one game is unacceptable. 

If we win (which we did), I’ll give him a pass. 7/8 is 7/8 is 7/8 is 7/8. You can give him an F if you want. You have the freedom to do so. I’m not going to change your mind and you won’t change mine. Whatever. Bye 

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

It ended up not costing us the game, so for me, until it actually does cost the team a game, I’m fine with keeping him on the team. 

it’s obvious we aren’t going to agree so I’m going to exit this conversation now. 

How do we know he didn't cost us the Chargers game? It's only 3 out of the 4 points we lost by but it would've changed the rest of the game unless you believe the same series events follows that kick whether he makes it or misses it. We got a turnover but we gave it right back and then they went on to take the lead from us. 

Edited by Florgon79

OK, so who's gonna replace him?

Anyone?

Ideas?

{ crickets }

This team never keeps a kicker more than 3-4 years; Kai Forbath, Graham Gano, David Akers { don't even get me started with him } Nick Novak, and the list goes on.

We drop a kicker, they sign somewhere else and have a career for years, some STILL playing today!  

So, when Heinicke throws a pick they should cut him, right?

When McLaurin drops a TD pass they should cut him, right?

When Gibson fumbles the ball they should cut him, right? 

Its a good thing some here are not a team owner, they'd probably not have a single player

2 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

OK, so who's gonna replace him?

Anyone?

Ideas?

{ crickets }

This team never keeps a kicker more than 3-4 years; Kai Forbath, Graham Gano, David Akers { don't even get me started with him } Nick Novak, and the list goes on.

We drop a kicker, they sign somewhere else and have a career for years, some STILL playing today!  

So, when Heinicke throws a pick they should cut him, right?

When McLaurin drops a TD pass they should cut him, right?

When Gibson fumbles the ball they should cut him, right? 

Its a good thing some here are not a team owner, they'd probably not have a single player

A kicker has one job.  Kick.  His misses are costly and could have easily made us 0-4. He’s been bailed out by a penalty and Taylor. 

38 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If we win (which we did), I’ll give him a pass. 7/8 is 7/8 is 7/8 is 7/8. You can give him an F if you want. You have the freedom to do so. I’m not going to change your mind and you won’t change mine. Whatever. Bye 

What's the point of posting on a message board with this mentality?  

• Haha 1

Just now, bearrock said:

What's the point of posting on a message board with this mentality?  

With what mentality? I dont go into EVERY debate thinking I’m not going to change the persons mind. But in this one, it’s clear. So why continue if I’m clearly not going to change anyone’s mind? It’s a waste of time 

On 8/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, Florgon79 said:

OK but how does this explain his poor performance last year? 

If you remember, he was basically kicking injured for the first 2/3 of the season.  I recall a few weeks where they werent sure he was gonna be able to go. I wanna say it was a groin, but don't quote me on that.  But I guess he healed up, cuz he tightened up down the stretch.

As a fan, it is really hard to evaluate a kicker's technique cuz I have no idea about what is proper.  All I know is that he missed two critical extra points that could have very well cost the game.  He hasn't looked all that great the past couple of years.  In the end it is the results that matter.  Time for him to go, there has to be someone out there better than him.