Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

14 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Former Hokie Joey Slye just got released by Carolina. Strong legged kid. Slye is the one who missed a 65 game tying FG last year by about 6 inches.

He had a really bad preseason. I think it was worse than Hops'

14 hours ago, dyst said:

This years reason for his struggle is the new snapper. What was the reason last year, and the year before?

The old snapper.

Which of course, is why they cut Sundberg

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

He had a really bad preseason. I think it was worse than Hops'

He has a better career % number, ranking #8 in the league (just over 80%.) He also has a MUCH stronger leg and is a local kid. No harm in having him drop by to try out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

He has a better career % number, ranking #8 in the league (just over 80%.)

I don't know where you could have gotten that info. Because when I pull up their stats, Slye has a career FG % of 79.4, while Hopkins is 83.9, and that's over a much longer period of time, as well.

Yes, Slye has a strong leg, but his consistency is a clear problem, and that's more important than strength of leg. He also has a history of even struggling with extra points. All this, within just a 2 year career. So, even his bright spots were a very small sample size.

I am not staunchly defending Hopkins, or choosing to die on a Hop Hill, but I don't see much in Slye, that makes me think he could be a better option.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't know where you could have gotten that info. Because when I pull up their stats, Slye has a career FG % of 79.4, while Hopkins is 83.9, and that's over a much longer period of time, as well.

My bad, I quoted last years stats where he was ranked #8 in FG made, not accuracy Sorry

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/field-goals/2020/reg/all/kickingfgmade/desc

Edited by bowhunter
  • Like 1

It's kind of amazing how kicking has developed. One of the Redskins' most celebrated players ever is Mark Moseley because of his 1982 MVP season. His all-time FG percentage is 65 percent, lol. As someone who watches lots of old games, it's amazing how many he shanked over the years. 

Not in any way a defense of Hopkins. I'm ready for someone else. But the position has dramatically improved over the years league-wide in general terms. 

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

It's kind of amazing how kicking has developed. One of the Redskins' most celebrated players ever is Mark Moseley because of his 1982 MVP season. His all-time FG percentage is 65 percent, lol. As someone who watches lots of old games, it's amazing how many he shanked over the years. 

Not in any way a defense of Hopkins. I'm ready for someone else. But the position has dramatically improved over the years league-wide in general terms. 

It's true. I remember the Redskins' QBs in the glory years would complete about 55% of their passes. Mind you, we went long a lot more often and defenses were actually allowed to defend, but that percentage wouldn't get you a third string job these days.

4 hours ago, Veretax said:

I'm still in the camp that Dustin should do something radical to psyche himself up.  My money was on shaving his head, but perhaps there's another suggestion to be had.

I don’t need my kicker going full Britney Spears meltdown. Just kick the brown thing through  the yellow things. 

Edited by Florgon79
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I don’t need my kicker going full Britney Spears meltdown. Just kick the brown thing though the yellow things. 

Lol. Love that and using it everytime he lines up to kick from now on. Come on!! Kick that brown thing through the yellow things!!