Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I like scherff and everything, but I'm hesitant to give a RG 15 mil a year.   Now that the OG market seems to be kinda flooded with scherff, thuney, and potentially zeitler and norwell, I'd hope we express interest in all 4, and wait it out.  With so many teams cap strapped, 4 OGs will not be getting mega deals this offseason.  We will be able to get a very good OG at great value, even though we won't have pick of the litter.  

Also, what team with the cap space we have has as positive an outlook for the future that we have?  Indy?  They are set at guard.  

Scherff might regret trying to play hardball.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I like scherff and everything, but I'm hesitant to give a RG 15 mil a year.   Now that the OG market seems to be kinda flooded with scherff, thuney, and potentially zeitler and norwell, I'd hope we express interest in all 4, and wait it out.  With so many teams cap strapped, 4 OGs will not be getting mega deals this offseason.  We will be able to get a very good OG at great value, even though we won't have pick of the litter.  

Also, what team with the cap space we have has as positive an outlook for the future that we have?  Indy?  They are set at guard.  

Yep this is an excellent development. I personally am fine without any of the 4 and saving the dollars for a player playing a more important position but if this team feels the need to go for a high end guard, this team's coaches spent 4 years with Norwell and developed him from an undrafted free agent to a first team all pro

4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Any proof buddy? 

I'm pounding the table just like baldy...scherff stays!!!

Lol alllll these players gonna be released that still have plenty of football left in them and ron will pluck threw the heap and put together a winning team...Superbowl!!

• Like 1

The only type of Guard I want to give $15m to is someone like Hutchinson, Grimm, Larry Brown, Quentin Nelson...the absolute elites at the position.

Scherff is very good when healthy but even at his best I don't think he makes a big enough difference to justify that kind of coin.  I know he's coming off an All-Pro season but he's more like one of 5 or 6 really good players comprising a group way, way, wayyy behind Nelson.

It's hard to just let him walk though so much like dealing with finding a quarterback right now, I just don't see a good option.  Let him walk?  Meh.  Sign long term for huge deal?  Gross.  Kick the can with franchise tag?  Just have to deal with it again next year.  All of the options suck.

This is why you don't draft guards at 5 overall.

• Like 1

Scherff isn't the best G in the league, but he's not too far away from it. You can certainly getting away with making the, say, 4th or 5th best at his position the highest paid at it. 

The problem is he misses a third to a half of his games every year and seems to be hampered in about an equal amount. That makes it a lot less of a wise investment. I'm not sure I'd want to commit that much to a player at a non-premium position, but doing it while hoping a guy becomes less injury-prone in his 30s just feels wrong-headed. 

I'd love to tag and trade him, but I'd need to have that deal agreed to before you could tag him. Probably unlikely you'd get an offer.

I wouldn't mind seeing if I could get Norwell cheaply. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd rather pay him 25 mil over 2 than what Scherff is likely to command.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Any chance the Zeitler and Norwell situation help WFT in coming up with a deal with Scherff?

I'd think not, especially if those players get cut and are openly available, if your looking in terms of getting back Scheriff.

The more quality options come available, the less we need to rely on Scheriff for his services. We would be able to get quality G play elsewhere, and likely for less.

If there were no Gs available, Scheriff would more or less have us by the balls. That is looking like it wont be the case.

G is often deemed an unimportant position. I would be shocked if the market is not disproportionately flooded w/ interior linemen as teams figure they can get along without them. I don't see Scheriff having much in the way of leverage moveing forward as it will fall by the day and I don't see Gs pulling down big paychecks as a whole this off season due to the cap restraints.

I think the longer this takes, the less likely he will return. The longer this goes on, the more swollen the cut pool of Gs will become. Once that pool exists, you can debate numbers with them as there would not be tampering, and you can find that cheap option your looking for.

Edited by FootballZombie

Per CBSSports.com, we are one of 5 teams in grade A position to add multiple free agents without the usual competition for free agents....Colts, Jets, Jags, Pats and WFT are the teams set up to add big time to their rosters. The have nots are about to become the haves. 

Get ready for a fun offseason.

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

If we can get him down to 10/11m, sign me up for that.  15m is nuts though.  We may have to let him test the waters but with teams shedding cap space all over there's a good chance he doesn't find the waters as warm as he'd like.

Who is gonna have the money to pony up 15 mil for a guard? Pro bowler or not.....Scherff would be better off signing a one year deal and pushing his free agency back a year if the WFT balks at giving him his number. 

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Scherff would be better off signing a one year deal and pushing his free agency back a year if the WFT balks at giving him his number. 

I'm sure he won't mind getting tagged a second time but if they pay a G 15M a year then it might bite them in the ass like NY. 

Edited by TheShredder

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Forgot Jackson on that list 

2 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

If we can get him down to 10/11m, sign me up for that.  15m is nuts though....

Yeah right, he's getting 15 Million at minimum........If Im GM, 16 Million per season is my top offer. And I really dont want to pay him that much. And I damn sure aint franchise tagging him (18 Million per year)..........

I think you sign Brandon. He was an AllPro this year, and a 4x Probowler. You are trying to build a winning culture. The players, especially our good ones, are watching very very closely at how we handle John Allen and Scherff. Both as solid as people come, professionals, that excel at their positions. 

Is it a lot of $? Absolutely. But it’s all relative. The coaches are multi millionaires, the owners are Billionaires and top flight G’s now cost 

15-16 Mil. The cap is gonna balloon up with the new TV deals. In a year or two All the contracts will look fair. Everyone’s salary’s are going up. 

You give yourself out’s within the contract along the way and you take it step by step. 
But you take the plunge on them both imo. 

And worst worst case, you do not let them walk, you trade them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I'm sure he won't mind getting tagged a second time but if they pay a G 15M a year then it might bite them in the ass like NY. 

He’ll be on the wrong side of 30 next year and has a history of injuries. He’s looking to get paid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

The only type of Guard I want to give $15m to is someone like Hutchinson, Grimm, Larry Brown, Quentin Nelson...the absolute elites at the position.

Scherff is very good when healthy but even at his best I don't think he makes a big enough difference to justify that kind of coin.  I know he's coming off an All-Pro season but he's more like one of 5 or 6 really good players comprising a group way, way, wayyy behind Nelson.

It's hard to just let him walk though so much like dealing with finding a quarterback right now, I just don't see a good option.  Let him walk?  Meh.  Sign long term for huge deal?  Gross.  Kick the can with franchise tag?  Just have to deal with it again next year.  All of the options suck.

This is why you don't draft guards at 5 overall.

This is why your just a fan...jesus christ when will people just ever be fans again....

• Confused 1

WFT does not have a QB that will make WR's want to sign with them

Good QB's don't want to sign with them because they don't have enough good weapons in their arsenal

What the do have is a decent OL group which has one league wide respected member, Scherff. They had 2 but the world watched an epic debauchery occur leading to TW's departure.

For those of you believing G's are a dime a dozen - Am I wrong or was one of the teams top holes in the lineup was finding a decent LG for years? 

Rivera is trying to create a culture in the locker room that the poster child is Scherff

It is for these reasons that bringing him back is so important. 

I only hope Scherff can see man top G's are about to get cut because they make $14 mill

If WFT had emphasized the OL a little more over the past 4 or 5 years with early round draft picks or a decent FA or two, allowing Scherff to walk would be a no brainer

Edited by DWinzit

Ideally Scherff lowers his probable demands a little, we balance the goodwill by adding more fully guaranteed cash. 

The clue for him should be all these guys getting shipped out later in their contracts. Average per year means nothing when you don’t see that year 3,4 or 5 cash.

• Like 2