Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I expect Scherff signs a 3 year 38.5 mil.  A bunch could be given in a signing bonus if it helps the cap #’s.  Too much in my opinion for a OG, but no doubt we are better as a whole line when he was on the field.  Front load guaranteed money and build around him if he can stay healthy.  If they tag him at 18 mil somebody should get fired.  Sucks for Brandon but this isn’t a great year to be a free agent guard.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I’m curious what effect the low cap, projected glut of cuts and possibility of one year deals will have on the comp pick front.  Pretty sure we’re not going to be earning any, lol.

I don't think they've projected WFT to have any comp picks this year.

2 minutes ago, evmiii said:

I expect Scherff signs a 3 year 38.5 mil.

That would be a grand slam for the team but I don't see it happening. 

To get an all pro guard for 13 million per and only have to commit 39 million to him would be tremendous. 

I suspect a guy staring at half that on a one year deal is not going to settle for twice that over 3.

My guess is he wants a lot more guaranteed money than a 3 year contract would bring.

4 minutes ago, evmiii said:

I expect Scherff signs a 3 year 38.5 mil.  A bunch could be given in a signing bonus if it helps the cap #’s.  Too much in my opinion for a OG, but no doubt we are better as a whole line when he was on the field.  Front load guaranteed money and build around him if he can stay healthy.  If they tag him at 18 mil somebody should get fired.  Sucks for Brandon but this isn’t a great year to be a free agent guard.

No way is Sherff taking less than 13m a year, I would go 60m over 4 years with around 40m guaranteed. They could get his cap around 8m for 2021. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I was thinking the same thing and wanted to justify my thoughts.  He's already the highest paid RG in the NFL.  Apparently the NFC East pays more for RG than any other.  Why is there so much emphasis on RG? Also didn't like how Scherff doesn't give 100% on some pass protection plays. Most notably seen vs TB.  He's always missing  4-8 games a year since 2017.  Those are the negatives and there's plenty of Pros that go along with being named an All-Pro. 

I think they can pay him 8% of the cap and be ok.  That's like $16.5M avg on a 4-5 yr deal. 

looking around, RG is apparently harder to play than LG and a position that's likely to deal with an elite inside rusher one on one

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, clskinsfan said:

Von Miller interests me on a 2 or 3 year deal. I know he is under investigation right now. But Denver is going to cut him to save cap space. He immediately fixes one of your outside backer spots. Line him up behind Chase and watch him eat. He also had a career year playing for JDR in a 4-3. So he knows what JDR wants to do. 

Report says he won’t face criminal charges.

• Like 1

Cheapish maybe pass catching TE

Dan Arnold could be the red zone target the Cardinals have always needed

The 24-year-old tight end has impressed Kliff Kingsbury since his arrival in Arizona

By Andy Kwong@akwong31  Dec 17, 2019, 11:00am MST 

Cleveland Browns v Arizona CardinalsPhoto by Ralph Freso/Getty Images

Does anyone know if the Team could place a transition tag on Scherff without a 20% escalation as would be required by a second year franchise tag? Right now the high projection for a transition tag for an O-lineman is $13.7M. I don't know the answer, but it would seem reasonable if they did slap a transition tag on him, it should not cost the $18M of a second year franchise tag. Any insight here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Does anyone know if the Team could place a transition tag on Scherff without a 20% escalation as would be required by a second year franchise tag? Right now the high projection for a transition tag for an O-lineman is $13.7M. I don't know the answer, but it would seem reasonable if they did slap a transition tag on him, it should not cost the $18M of a second year franchise tag. Any insight here?

The specific tag dictates if it's average of top 5 salaries at his position, or 120% of the previous year's salary whichever is higher; or average of top 10 at his position or 120% of the previous year's salary, whichever is higher.

So, no, as a practical matter, it doesn't matter what tag we place on him. He gets 120% of last year's figure. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, Cooley was on a show last week (Sheehan, I think) talking about his tape evaluation of Scherff last season.  He matter-of-factly called him a top 10 guard in the league.  Pressed on his answer, he elaborated saying he's a solid all around player but isn't truly special, despite the All-Pro accolade.  Actually laughed out loud at the notion of paying him $15M.  

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

FWIW, Cooley was on a show last week (Sheehan, I think) talking about his tape evaluation of Scherff last season.  He matter-of-factly called him a top 10 guard in the league.  Pressed on his answer, he elaborated saying he's a solid all around player but isn't truly special, despite the All-Pro accolade.  Actually laughed out loud at the notion of paying him $15M.  

That’s what my untrained eye tells me when I watch him. 

• Like 2

Going to be a serious amount of FA talent to fight over.

Teams like the Jags and Jets with upwards of 80-90mil....Hell fire.

Seems slightly odd the Jags are shopping Norwell really, he is their top salary in 2021, but with a rookie QB coming in, and all that cap space.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Going to be a serious amount of FA talent to fight over.

Teams like the Jags and Jets with upwards of 80-90mil....Hell fire.

Seems slightly odd the Jags are shopping Norwell really, he is their top salary in 2021, but with a rookie QB coming in, and all that cap space.

Norwell played for the Panthers under Rivera, he'll know if he is worth a look. 

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cheapish maybe pass catching TE

Wondering if they might look to an Arnold or Hollister over the more prominent names and contracts. They fit the mold of the past off season.

I went over the potential mid round TE's and it is more ho hum than last year between the 3-5 which is normally a great spot to hit on one.

Edited by DWinzit

Trying not to get anxious about Scherff negotiations. My preferences

1. Sign to LTD averaging ~$15 million 

2. Allowed to become free agent

3. Tag and trade.

4. 2nd Franchise Tag (Do not want, will be upset if this happens)

Guess we will all know better by Tuesday evening. 

Edited by actorguy1

2 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

Trying not to get anxious about Scherff negotiations. My preferences

1. Sign to LTD averaging ~$15 million 

2. Allowed to become free agent

3. Tag and trade.

4. 2nd Franchise Tag (Do not want, will be upset if this happens)

Guess we will all know better by Tuesday evening. 

I don't like the idea of tagging him a second time nor do i think applying the 2nd tag with hopes of trading him is realistic. I think a LTD or let him test the market.  They can sign or draft a suitable replacement rather easily.  Just doesn't seem to be a wise decision at this point with all things considered.  He's not available for all 16 games since 2017 and now they add another game.  He will miss 5-6 games at least on avg and you're paying him top of the market for 10-11 game season.  That's dramatically overpaying that position. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Listening myself it seemed like a flippant response from Cooley— also seems to go against his grades for Scherff which were extremely high. Cooley is philosophically opposed to paying guards a lot of money and he has said many times he believes he can spot guard talent in mid to late rounds. Not sure he’s operating from an unbiased point of view. My guess is he was questioning top 10 to support his overall view about paying guards. 

Riding with Ron on this one. Have yet to hear anyone here or anywhere give me confidence they any great understanding of spectrum of guard talent among all 32 teams. 

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 8.27.14 PM.png

I like McKenzie but the draft is so loaded with slot receivers that we'll be able to find a good immediately productive option in the 2nd or 3rd

23 hours ago, Burgold said:

This might be a really good year to pitch free agents on one year contracts. With the cap suppressed because of COVID and next year the new TV deal coming in it could really pay off.

Either that or it's a great offseason to lock folks up to long term deals on contracts that will look like bargains over the next couple seasons with the TV deal + 17th game expected to make the cap explode

I’ve been in the ‘signing Scherff is a no-brainer’ camp (in no small part because RR seemed gung-ho about it).  With the group of guards hitting FA, and more possible/likely, I could see the FO playing a little hardball (nicely).  “We love Brandon and truly want him back, but we also have a series of other needs to address.  There are some other guards out there we like as well.”  The top 4 guard contracts average from slightly over 14mil for Brooks, down to the 11mil range for Peat.  Wonder if Scherff could be talked down to more like 11 to 13.

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’ve been in the ‘signing Scherff is a no-brainer’ camp (in no small part because RR seemed gung-ho about it).  With the group of guards hitting FA, and more possible/likely, I could see the FO playing a little hardball (nicely).  “We love Brandon and truly want him back, but we also have a series of other needs to address.  There are some other guards out there we like as well.”  The top 4 guard contracts average from slightly over 14mil for Brooks, down to the 11mil range for Peat.  Wonder if Scherff could be talked down to more like 11 to 13.

He's not being talked down to that little after the all pro team.