Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

No way am I paying BS 15 mil a year. I was against the pick when it was made as I checked the draft from the last 10 years and there were no guards drafted that high before. Guy should have been picked around 13 to 17 not 5. Knew he was gonna hold us up when his rook contract expired using the "I was the 5th pick in the draft and now I want to be paid like it" excuse. Left tackles yes and they are worth it as they are protecting the QB but not guards. BS wants what Big Ben just signed for? Are you kidding me. He is hurt too often and personally I do not think he is the best guard in the conference let alone the league. I say 10 tops and if you do not want it then walk. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Yeah right, he's getting 15 Million at minimum........If Im GM, 16 Million per season is my top offer. And I really dont want to pay him that much. And I damn sure aint franchise tagging him (18 Million per year)..........

The tag is 14.5M for offensive lineman.  Given his injury history, I'd be much more willing to tag him for that amount than sign him to a long term deal with the same annual average.  

As I said before, no good choices here really.  You either lose a very good player or wind up paying the least impactful position in football $15M.  

Add in an $18M cap hit for a box safety coming off a torn achilles and you have nearly 20% of our salary cap allocated to two of the least impactful positions.  To injury prone players at that.  Brilliant.

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

The tag is 14.5M for offensive lineman.  Given his injury history, I'd be much more willing to tag him for that amount than sign him to a long term deal with the same annual average.  

As I said before, no good choices here really.  You either lose a very good player or wind up paying the least impactful position in football $15M.  

Add in an $18M cap hit for a box safety coming off a torn achilles and you have nearly 20% of our salary cap allocated to two of the least impactful positions.  To injury prone players at that.  Brilliant.

You do know that Scherff was tagged last season, right?  And if they tagged him this in 2021 it will be around $18M, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Norwell on a 3 year 30-35mil deal is tempting.

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

back-up box safety, to compound the issue. i hope we are in talks with his agent about that contract. sadly his 2021 salary is about to fully guarantee through injury.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

It can't bode well for Scherff for all these upper level guards possibly being available unless is all a part of the salary dumps to get under the cap.

At this rate there's no excuse for the WFT NOT having an outstanding offensive line next year. Any spot on the line deemed weak or questionable should be replaced by an available free agent. We would then have outstanding lines on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 2

I don't know how much of the cap a team should allocate for a RG but right now $15M per year is 7.5% of their total adjusted cap.  If they tag him again it eats 30% of the available cap space.  I'd hope they get a deal done and not tag him again.  I think that's a mistake.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I don't know how much of the cap a team should allocate for a RG but right now $15M per year is 7.5% of their total adjusted cap.  If they tag him again it eats 30% of the available cap space.  I'd hope they get a deal done and not tag him again.  I think that's a mistake.

I really like Sherff, but in no way should we franchise Tag him at 18m, LTD or he hits the road and we sign his replacement via the Draft or FA. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I really like Sherff, but in no way should we franchise Tag him at 18m, LTD or he hits the road and we sign his replacement via the Draft or FA. 

Agreed.  18mill cap hit fully guaranteed would be terrible cap management.  I like Scherff and want them to re-sign him but if the price is too high then you need to walk away.  Get a long term deal done in the next few days or prepare to move on.  The franchise tag should be off the table.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, markmills67 said:

I was thinking the same thing and wanted to justify my thoughts.  He's already the highest paid RG in the NFL.  Apparently the NFC East pays more for RG than any other.  Why is there so much emphasis on RG? Also didn't like how Scherff doesn't give 100% on some pass protection plays. Most notably seen vs TB.  He's always missing  4-8 games a year since 2017.  Those are the negatives and there's plenty of Pros that go along with being named an All-Pro. 

I think they can pay him 8% of the cap and be ok.  That's like $16.5M avg on a 4-5 yr deal. 

• Thanks 1