Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Dak is a damn good QB. Is he elite? No, but such is the nature of QB contracts. The next half decent guy will always set the market. Now wait till guys like Allen, Jackson, and Murray hit FA.

We scoffed at Cousins's demands a few years back but now I don't even think he's top 10 in salary for QBs.

25 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

holy hell ... 

WTF!!!  Missed on another opportunity.  I was pissed when we missed out on La'el Collins....now we missed out on a golden opportunity to get a young talented player.  Kid had a great reputation coming out of college also.  Oh well...hope it works out for the Dolphins.  Four 1st round picks from the 2020 draft class....really impressive.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dak is a damn good QB. Is he elite? No, but such is the nature of QB contracts. The next half decent guy will always set the market. Now wait till guys like Allen, Jackson, and Murray hit FA.

We scoffed at Cousins's demands a few years back but now I don't even think he's top 10 in salary for QBs.

And he wasn't worth it then. He was another good but not elite QB who got an enormous contract that crippled the team he went to without any tangible ROI. They thought he was going to take them to the SB and they ended up getting worse and going nowhere. 

That's the rub here. Paying a legit elite QB that kind of money is OK I think, because that's a guy who doesn't have to have a stellar support cast and elevates the team. Paying a good but not elite QB that money will cripple you because that's the guy who can only be great if he's surrounded by a great cast and if you pay him all that money, it's going be harder to get and keep that surrounded talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

That contract is absolutely going to destroy the Cowboys. They better hope they win a SB within a year or two because they're going to be in absolute cap hell shortly. Basically their entire cap is tied up on offense now. They better hope they can put up 30+ points per game at least.

I'm definitely glad he didn't hit FA and we paid that. Dak is good but IMO not in the elite echelon. 

This is not true at all. Signing Dak lowered his cap from 37 million to 22. They’ve already mentioned restructuring Cooper and Lawrence’s deal and could easily gain up to 25+ million in cap space this offseason. 

They signed this deal with the intention of the cap going up each year.

• Haha 1

Not a fan of the tag. I'm trying to look at it as a 1 year deal that helps solidify the line this season while we draft and develop a replacement. 

Maybe this just buys some time to work out a long-term deal. I honestly wanted him to hit the market before seeing us bring him back. Give him a chance to gauge his value and be given a chance to match it. 

Edited by duffy
  • Like 3

I wanted him back but they should have let him test the market. Can’t imagine a lot of teams would want to pay him that this year. I suppose they could do a multi year deal with small year 1 but but still. I hate losing leverage. They should have learned from this 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeMarco Murray 29 said:

This is not true at all. Signing Dak lowered his cap from 37 million to 22. They’ve already mentioned restructuring Cooper and Lawrence’s deal and could easily gain up to 25+ million in cap space this offseason. 

The cap probably wont be going up the next couple years due to borrowing from future years to get the cap floor to 180m this year.

• Like 2

We just gave our right guard a 1 year, $18 million deal.  Don't like it.

The only way I can talk myself into this is bc they know they will be active in FA this year more than next, so they'd rather let him walk next year to get the comp pick.   

I'm sure we will hear reports that the skins will still try to work out a long term deal, but scherff isn't going to do that.  He gets 18 mil this year then hits FA again while still in his prime when the cap makes a huge jump.  He'd be a fool to sign a long term deal now.

They can't even trade him with such a short, expensive deal like that.

I just don't get it.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, DeMarco Murray 29 said:

It's going to keep going up every year. They're not going to be able to keep all of their offensive playmakers and they're not going to be able to sign any good FAs to bolster their crappy defense. 

IMO they won't even get to the SB in the next 4 years and then they'll have to start over again once they lose a bunch of guys.

7 minutes ago, Lovi said:

I wanted him back but they should have let him test the market. Can’t imagine a lot of teams would want to pay him that this year. I suppose they could do a multi year deal with small year 1 but but still. I hate losing leverage. They should have learned from this 

Depends on how much he was asking for. I'm assuming he wanted to be the highest paid Guard in the NFL. 

• Like 1

It's a bit worrying to me. It makes me think that there are a few possibilities 1) We really do still have some incompetent FO people, 2) Scherff isn't all that interested in playing here anymore and wanted to test FA or 3) Scherff wanted an outrageous contract and absolutely refused to budge an inch.

None of those are very good things.

Maybe I'm just being negative but I'd hope that with 9 days left they'd still have time to work on a deal before doing the franchise tag. Makes me wonder if it's #3

• Like 1