Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

We just gave a guard 18 million for one year. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. No letting him test the market no waiting for releases...just give the 10 game man 18. Million. Dollars.  Ol sheriff is set for life. Let's see how he plays 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not all that surprised by the tag, but I still don’t like that we couldn’t get a deal done. I heard a lot of agents are telling their people not to sign long term deals this year because the cap will go up dramatically next year with the new TV Contract being finalized. 

I suspect Scherff will get his long term contract before July 15 with a reasonably good bonus to keep the cap hit down this year and provide the kind of total he wants for the three or four year contract period. I actually will be surprised if that does not happen.

• Like 1

This is horrible cap management on a very good player at the least impactful position in the game.

We will have now spent a 5th overall pick, $15m Tag and $18m tag...on a GUARD. That might still walk in a year or who we now have to negotiate against ourselves on.  FOR A GUARD!!!!!

Classic example of why this team has sucked for so long.

"Okay guys,here's the plan.  We are going to spend 3 of the most premium items in our tool belt on a very good player at the stupidist position on the field"

Sure we have the cap space but....this is just incredibly stupid.  And it gets even dumber of they negotiate a long term deal off this number.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, carex said:

well, if he doesn't sign, weren't many of this front office the same ones who franchised Josh Norman and then rescinded it in April?

There isn't enough "moron" in the world to shove a single human being to make them not put pen to paper on $18m for a guard.  FOR A GUARD!!!!!!  

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

There isn't enough "moron" in the world to shove a single human being to make them not put pen to paper on $18m for a guard.  FOR A GUARD!!!!!!  

I'm sorry man, but it's only a matter of time

Of course he didnt agree to a long term deal with that 18 Mill sitting there......****ing livid we're spending $18 Mill on him for one year, in a FA period where quality Guards are available.  So what, we gonna hope he doesnt play as well to bring his value down?  Next season he's gone..........This is ****ing stupid. Let him at least test the market and possibly match an offer. We're just going to tag him??? He's going to take this $18 Mill, probably be injured half the season, and then next year he's gone...........Hope we rescind that ****...........

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It remains to be seen if this new look FO has the proficiency in resource allocation that’s required when you give out true big money. The only real data point we have, unless I’m forgetting something, is that we allegedly “really wanted” Amari Cooper last year but in reality totally lowballed him on guaranteed money, to the point that no matter how many times people post the misleading total contract figures, we were never actually in it for him (no folks, we didn’t “offer more” than Dallas, because we didn’t come close on the only number that matters—guaranteed money). Which many people are glad of because they thought he was overpaid, but that’s not necessarily an additional positive data point lol.

Most of the other signings and attempted signings we’ve made or been connected to have been small, and those have been good. 

So we don’t really know how this regime will handle the harsh spotlight brought on by being involved in big money signings or re-signings. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why the outcry, We likely weren’t spending the full cap anyway and still have plenty of room to upgrade needs while keeping consistency in our oline.  It’s one year, not like he’s clogging up anything past what would have already been just wasted cap space.  If we work out a LTD great, if not, let him walk but I think having him helps whatever QB will be starting for us while we try and figure that piece out and seeing if we have something long term there or not

Not happy. Perhaps, with the new TV deal not yet announced, agents are telling players to avoid LTD's until then. I think we all have flashbacks to the Cousins negotiations (or lack thereof). If this gets to July 15th without extension then we can truly complain.

46 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I suspect Scherff will get his long term contract before July 15 with a reasonably good bonus to keep the cap hit down this year and provide the kind of total he wants for the three or four year contract period. I actually will be surprised if that does not happen.

It’s a dangerous game.  Going to be a lot of guaranteed money in the LTD for him to not play on this tag.

44 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Slow down.  Zach Martin is getting 14 mill a year from Dallas.  It was always only a matter of time before the annual salary for top tier Guards goes up.  Scherff was a First Team All-Pro last season.  It’s only a one year franchise tag.  There’s still a chance that he signs an extension.  If he doesn’t than it’s only a one year tag.  I’m sure they feel that losing Scherff would be a big blow to the OL.    

Edited by -JB-

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I think Scherff either signs long term or he gets traded for draft assets, I cant see us letting him play on the tag again, especially at $18M, just doesn't make sense for the team or the player.

How many teams are in position to trade assets for an $18M guard?  Indy, maybe, but they have Nelson.  Having trouble seeing it.

17 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Slow down.  Zach Martin is getting 14 mill a year from Dallas.  It was always only a matter of time before the annual salary for top tier Guards goes up.  Scherff was a First Team All-Pro last season.  It’s only a one year franchise tag.  There’s still a chance that he signs an extension.  If he doesn’t than it’s only a one year tag.  I’m sure they feel that losing Scherff would be a big blow to the OL.    

Re-read my comment.  I'm saying there's zero chance he doesn't sign the tag.  And if you negotiate off the tag number, it's disastrous.  It's everything we feared with Cousins except it's a ****ing guard.

Best case scenario for the team is he walks after playing out the year.

FOR A GUARD!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Re-read my comment.  I'm saying there's zero chance he doesn't sign the tag.  And if you negotiate off the tag number, it's disastrous.  It's everything we feared with Cousins except it's a ****ing guard.

Best case scenario for the team is he walks after playing out the year.

FOR A GUARD!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, Brandon was a better passer than Kirk in high school.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He would be a moron to sign any long term deal for less than 18 in first year and at least 30 plus guaranteed.

We should have offered 15 mil a year and let him go to FA if he wouldn’t take a deal that made him the highest paid G. This is insane.

Obviously hoping for a LTD before July but it’s just wishful thinking. Can we rescind the tag or can he just sign it and screw us over?