Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Only reasoning i can see here is that they have said they will watch the first week of FA unfold to see what the actual market value is at Guard. Use that as a guide for a LTD. But that’s a reach on my part, without question letting him play out this season on a one year 18mil deal isn’t a good outcome for the team at all.

It’s like Kurt all over again, let’s go out and sign a replacement at 50% the cost, then do a tag & trade of Scherff to someone for a day 2 pick...:ols:

9 hours ago, steve09ru said:

We likely weren’t spending the full cap anyway

9 hours ago, steve09ru said:

not like he’s clogging up anything past what would have already been just wasted cap space.

Why are you starting with this assumption and then just riding it for this entire post like it’s common knowledge? Weird

7 hours ago, -JB- said:

Our track record for spending freely in free agency is abysmal.  Might as well go above market value to keep continuity on the OL with a 1st team All-Pro Guard & spend thriftily in free agency to fill in holes on the roster.

You've said this twice already, essentially “well we stink at allocating resources in FA anyways so we might as well waste money on a name I’m familiar with at least”. It’s not only defeatist but basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yeah, you’re gonna stink at resource allocation when you make decisions like this. This team has plenty of holes and plenty of homegrown guys to re-sign even if you don’t like the idea of giving big money to outside FAs. So this line of thinking doesn’t really make sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You've said this twice already, essentially “well we stink at allocating resources in FA anyways so we might as well waste money on a name I’m familiar with at least”. It’s not only defeatist but basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yeah, you’re gonna stink at resource allocation when you make decisions like this. This team has plenty of holes and plenty of homegrown guys to re-sign even if you don’t like the idea of giving big money to outside FAs. So this line of thinking doesn’t really make sense. 

It's also just not remotely true anymore. 

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's also just not remotely true anymore. 

I’m not willing to go that far yet (assuming we’re talking big signings). We don’t have enough data from this FO to know. Landon Collins was another regime but what, only two offseasons ago? 3? We’re still dealing with that terrible contract. Latest info is that we took a wild swing and miss at Amari Cooper last year, but didn’t come close on the all-important guaranteed money despite the reported massive total. So we don’t really know how this group under Rivera will do negotiating for big names against the entire league on an open market. They’ve done well finding cheap scheme fits and coaching them up and putting them into position to succeed, guys like Logan Thomas. That’s good news. 

This is the first offseason where we’ll really get to see what they’re made of, and based on recent Franchise Tag history they’ve made it harder on themselves at best, but we’ll see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can see either length of contract or clauses being the hang up so far on the LTD rather than APY.

Total speculation on my end but with Brandon turning 30 this season I could see the team offering him a LTD that was either short in length like 3 years or having a lot of games played triggers in it due to his injury history. 

Isn’t there a lingering possibility that due to TV deals/salary cap not being finalized, the franchise tag date ends up pushed back until right before FA? If so we may not find out about guys like Robinson today, we’ll see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I would think Scherff would prefer a LTD with guaranteed money to multiple franchise tags. No matter how lucrative. He’s not a QB. He plays OG and has an enormous injury history. 

Agree with this take. A 4 year 64 million deal with 40 guaranteed would get it done. You could basically make it a 3 year deal for 50 million and lower his cap hit to 12-13 million. Scherff gets a nice chunk of guaranteed money. The team gets cap space. I really cant see Scherff being happy about playing on a one year deal with his injury history. 

This move has to be all Ron.  For whatever reason they couldn't get a deal done, probably because Scherffs agent told him to wait for the tag, and Rivera didn't want a culture guy to leave the building.

If true, it's the problem with a coach centric model.  No GM in their right mind pays a guard $18m regardless of how good a player he is.

The Colts brass must be incredibly pissed at us right now.  Imagine what Quentin Nelson, who laps the entire field in talent at the position, is going to cost.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

For other key Washington free agents: as of Sunday, there was nothing going on with Ryan Kerrigan, per source; the team is still trying to get deals done with Ronald Darby and Dustin Hopkins; Ryan Anderson is ready to move on, get back to playing as a... https://es.pn/3quWI8f

I really hope we don’t give Hopkins a lot of guaranteed cash :ols:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I just came here to post that we shod rescind the tag and sign Thuney. Younger. Less injury history. 

Or we could hedge our bet by keeping the tag on scherff and trying to sign thuney to a reasonable contract.

That way if we land thuney we Can let scherff walk next year and if we don't we continue to try to sign scherff to something reasonable. 

Worse case scenario we use a lot of cap on the offensive line for one year but we do have the room and would be pretty damn stout in both trenches for at least one year.

Couple that with getting darisaw in the draft and we have two of the best lines in football.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

For other key Washington free agents: as of Sunday, there was nothing going on with Ryan Kerrigan, per source; the team is still trying to get deals done with Ronald Darby and Dustin Hopkins; Ryan Anderson is ready to move on, get back to playing as a... https://es.pn/3quWI8f

I commented on that tweet by Keim, and said Kerrigan and his wife are on a late honeymoon as of yesterday, which might be why. He said his agent isn’t, and i replied with (what i thought was) a pretty decent answer. I said “Yeah, although I’d bet Kerrigan would want to be in on some of the phone calls. Would he want to do that during his honeymoon?” and then he just got rude and condescending.....  his response? 

“Sigh. No players are not in on those calls. Not how it works. There’s nothing going on. You can try to spin it a certain way and you’ll be off each time. Sorry.”

**** off, dude. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This is. Is signing a guard for a one year 18 million deal really building anything? They must be pretty confident they can get a long term deal done or they wouldnt have tagged him IMO. 

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Or we could hedge our bet by keeping the tag on scherff and trying to sign thuney to a reasonable contract.

That way if we land thuney we Can let scherff walk next year and if we don't we continue to try to sign scherff to something reasonable. 

Worse case scenario we use a lot of cap on the offensive line for one year but we do have the room and would be pretty damn stout in both trenches for at least one year.

Couple that with getting darisaw in the draft and we have two of the best lines in football.

Thuney will be one of the hottest free agents on the market. You arent getting him for a reasonable contract.

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I commented on that tweet by Keim, and said Kerrigan and his wife are on a late honeymoon as of yesterday, which might be why. He said his agent isn’t, and i replied with (what i thought was) a pretty decent answer. I said “Yeah, although I’d bet Kerrigan would want to be in on some of the phone calls. Would he want to do that during his honeymoon?” and then he just got rude and condescending.....  his response? 

“Sigh. No players are not in on those calls. Not how it works. There’s nothing going on. You can try to spin it a certain way and you’ll be off each time. Sorry.”

**** off, dude. 

He was a dick, but he’s not wrong lol. 

• Like 1