Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I don't want Galloday.  We have to pay Terry in 2 years and Galloday has hip/injury issues.

that's cool.  I do want Galloday and big time.  But if he hits the market and Robinson doesn't he becomes the top WR so I doubt we get him.  I keep reading the Giants want him badly.  

Galloday played a full season the previous one.  He got hurt this year.  So did Terry.  It happens.   Corey Davis has had a hip injury in his history too.  Golladay's injury wasn't career threatening -- the Lions actually hoped it will heal within season but it just didn't heal fast enough.  

I like Corey Davis but he isn't a game changer.  Golladay is a freak.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Could be wishful thinking on my part, but maybe the team/player are close to a deal but both want to wait to see the cap numbers. And maybe the deal is penciled out give or take a few dollars. And the tag protects the team by allowing them to keep other teams from negotiating with Scherff and driving his price up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Exactly.  We really can't afford any of the top tier options now while also filling all the holes.  

I interpreted his comment differently. 

I thought he meant the franchise tag in General not the tag we put on scherff.

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Still have $36 million. Plenty of $$ to sign some FAs especially with low year 1 cap hits. But yeah, the diff between $9m cap hit and $18m franchise tag for Scherff is probably the value of 1-2 solid FAs in the second wave of FA, but maybe the team plans to get a deal done with SCherff when the cap is released (could be mutual) and lower that hit before/by the time you need to sign said players.

You essentially have to set aside $10m for rookies and in season moves and that's really the absolute minimum.  At best we have another 25m to play with if the numbers I'm seeing are correct.  We could still snag a top tier option but I doubt we can also fill all the holes too.  

I actually think now is a good time to spend on a top flight outside receiver like Golladay because in 2 years when we pay Terry that initial contract will be much easier to get out of and the cap will be higher. We are at or near the league bottom in cap dollars invested to our wide receiver group and can shore that up while we look for future replacements in the draft. 

I also strongly believe that we will get a deal done with Scherff and that first year cap hit will be mitigated. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I interpreted his comment differently. 

I thought he meant the franchise tag in General not the tag we put on scherff.

You're right, I'm saying the tag is taking all the guys off the market and leaving less interesting players available. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

that's cool.  I do want Galloday and big time.  But if he hits the market and Robinson doesn't he becomes the top WR so I doubt we get him.  I keep reading the Giants want him badly.  

Galloday played a full season the previous one.  He got hurt this year.  So did Terry.  It happens.   Corey Davis has had a hip injury in his history too.  Golladay's injury wasn't career threatening -- the Lions actually hoped it will heal within season but it just didn't heal fast enough.  

I like Corey Davis but he isn't a game changer.  Golladay is a freak.   

What AAV do you think is respectable for Golladay? If he turned down 18 I would assume he’s wanting 20 per year. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I think he gets 20 million.   Will see if he makes it.

Hope they tag Golladay too.  Rather see Robinson on our team more so and much more so than Golladay.  

The FA crop is going to be a lot more thin than many of us were talking about just a month ago. 

I think Milano is going to wind up being one of our top prizes to go after. The receivers are going to be that second tier that we were mentioning before.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hope they tag Golladay too.  Rather see Robinson on our team more so and much more so than Golladay.  

What don't you like about Golladay?  Love Robinson and I'd prefer him too but I think he will be tagged.   In the end, i am guessing both get tagged.  

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The FA crop is going to be a lot more thin than many of us were talking about just a month ago. 

I think Milano is going to wind up being one of our top prizes to go after. The receivers are going to be that second tier that we were mentioning before.

Milano and L. David are my top desires.  I basically want a really good MLB and really good WR.  after that I don't recall care what else they do.  

My guess too is Milano and at WR Samuel.  And if so I'd be happy. 

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted this in the QB thread but Breer had a paragraph in his MMQ devoted today to matching up WFT with Fitzpatrick.  He think he can be had cheap too 5-6 million.  He'd be my top FA desire right now at QB.  

Yeah I wouldnt be too mad at fitzy.. but I do think it’ll be more $ than 5-6.  He got 10 as a backup last year. I think it would be more like 10-18 total compensation including incentives.

not sure if that changes the equation and it’s just a feeling. 

• Like 1

Golladay goes below the radar because he missed time this year and he plays for the Lions but that dude is a freak.

I also like Curtis Samuel and Corey Davis.  They are both really good.  Golladay is great IMO.  Having said that, I doubt we get him.  My main hope is the NY Giants doesn't land him. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-agency-2021-examining-wide-receiver-market

WR Kenny Golladay, Detroit Lions

Golladay proved last season that he deserves to be discussed among the game’s elite wide receivers, putting up 1,190 yards and 11 touchdowns while primarily catching passes from backup quarterbacks Jeff Driskel and David Blough. Golladay is a big-bodied, traditional X wide receiver with some of the best GUAGI (“go up and get it”) skills in the entire league.

Detroit is set to lose both Golladay and Marvin Jones Jr. to free agency, and this is just one more reason why the franchise tag here seems like a foregone conclusion. While Golladay has missed most of the season, his numbers in the four games he finished are still very impressive considering he probably wasn’t at 100%:

Week Targets Receptions Yards TD Yds./Route Run Passer Rtg.
Week 3 7 6 57 1 2.04 140.2
Week 4 8 4 62 1 2.00 115.6
Week 6 6 4 105 0 3.75 109.7
Week 7 7 6 114 0 3.26 118.8

Another reason to anticipate a franchise tag here is because of what happened at the trade deadline. The Giants reportedly made a big push to acquire Golladay, potentially because the wideout signaled he wants to go to a team that he feels is more likely to extend him after the 2020 season. There’s a 2019 A.J. Green parallel here with the missed games heading into the offseason, but Detroit would be wise to extend the younger Golladay before his price climbs even higher.

Now with the Lions in the middle of a general manager search, talks between the two sides have presumably slowed down. Golladay appears to be focusing on getting his hip right for 2021, which is the smartest course of action. He’s already proven he’s worth the money, it’s just a matter of striking a deal.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I’d rather draft a WR with one our 3rd round picks than to spend big $ on a veteran FA receiver.  I think if we are going to spend for a free agent we should be looking at LB/S to try and really solidify our Defense.  I think BPA round 1 is the best way to look at things.  I’m really opposed to drafting WR round 1 unless a Randy Moss type talent drops to us which won’t happen.  OL/LB/CB/S I do think are our primary needs.  Say no to any QB in first round & we are in no need for DL.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer more of a possession receiver that works the middle of the field to pair with Terry.  Robinson would be the perfect compliment, but seems he won't be available.

Having said that, Golladay is leaps better than Samuel, Davis, JuJu, and whoever else is out there.  Definitely hope we are in the mix on him.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What don't you like about Golladay?  Love Robinson and I'd prefer him too but I think he will be tagged.   In the end, i am guessing both get tagged.  

Milano and L. David are my top desires.  I basically want a really good MLB and really good WR.  after that I don't recall care what else they do.  

My guess too is Milano and at WR Samuel.  And if so I'd be happy. 

Just not high on him, SIP.  We have to be smart during FA.  I'd spend the $$$ on Robinson but other than than go with Corey Davis.  Think he is close to a break out and won't break the bank.  We need a free safety some kind of bad.  Oh and a starting QB too not named Darnold.  LOL

Fitz- Golladay- L David... championship 

get creative with future years, this year’s cap is an anomaly. Those are premium positions that are tough to get rookie production from, pay these dudes, draft S, LB, OL, RB and WR
my favorite Fa would have be A Rob, Mariota and L David... I guess thats technically still an option, but need to see MM get cut here soon and no tag on A ROb.

we need to get B Scherff on a LtD and move some of that $ out. 

• Like 2