Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

18 million is just too much for any guard. And there are a glut of guards on the market. Frankly, I'd way rather give Trent Williams 18 million than Scherff. Or Lavonte David. I hope he signs an extension and I hope the rest of free agency goes better than this. 

• Like 1

Let him go out on the market and find his value out there. This is the year he would have been in for a rude awakening. We had all the leverage and he still managed to squeeze 18 million out. It could have been a two year deal for 32 with 18 up front and we'd still be in better shape.

Sometimes the ego in the FO is astounding.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Our track record for spending freely in free agency is abysmal.  Might as well go above market value to keep continuity on the OL with a 1st team All-Pro Guard & spend thriftily in free agency to fill in holes on the roster.

Keep the continuity on an offensive line that's coming off a ****ing 7-9 season??? Woopty Doo for our ****ing All Pro Guard. Thank God for him at 18 Mill for 1 season. Now, lets go get a bunch of D- caliber free agents and celebrate the discount......

**** that, this is an offseason where we're in a position to fill holes in our roster with legit talent. I'd rather get a $10-$11 Mill per season GUARD, and put the extra $7-$8 Mill (from Schreff) towards another position of need, LT included. Again, maybe some people think we are some threat to this league because we got lucky as hell and won the division. But again, we are coming off of a 7-9 season. WE DONT HAVE THE LUXURY OF SPENDING $18 MILL on a 1 year rental for a  ****ing GUARD.....The Patriots, Steelers, & Ravens dont do stupid **** like this....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Keep the continuity on an offensive line that's coming off a ****ing 7-9 season??? Woopty Doo for our ****ing All Pro Guard. Thank God for him at 18 Mill for 1 season. Now, lets go get a bunch of D- caliber free agents and celebrate the discount......

**** that, this is an offseason where we're in a position to fill holes in our roster with legit talent. I'd rather get a $10-$11 Mill per season GUARD, and put the extra $7-$8 Mill (from Schreff) towards another position of need, LT included. Again, maybe some people think we are some threat to this league because we got lucky as hell and won the division. But again, we are coming off of a 7-9 season. WE DONT HAVE THE LUXURY OF SPENDING $18 MILL on a ****ing GUARD.....The Patriots, Steelers, & Ravens dont do stupid **** like this....

I'll do you one better...just spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on a guard and move the **** on.  Or sign a guy in free agency for like 5m or 6m.

So stupid.  Nevermind that it cost us a top 5 pick to begin with.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

**** that, this is an offseason where we're in a position to fill holes in our roster with legit talent. I'd rather get a $10-$11 Mill per season GUARD, and put the extra $7-$8 Mill (from Schreff) towards another position of need, LT included. Again, maybe some people think we are some threat to this league because we got lucky as hell and won the division. But again, we are coming off of a 7-9 season. WE DONT HAVE THE LUXURY OF SPENDING $18 MILL on a ****ing GUARD.....The Patriots, Steelers, & Ravens dont do stupid **** like this....

Sir, calm down.  No need to get so emotional.  You’d think Washington has a tremendous record of spending freely in free agency the way you’re carrying on.  Christ.  You’re throwing out numbers like 10-11 mill for unnamed guys.  Yes, I do think this team can benefit from some sort of continuity.  Especially along the OL.  Last year was a step in the right direction.  From 3-13 to 7-9 is absolutely progress.  I’d expect another step forward this season.  Especially on the defensive side of things.  32 mill in cap space left & 4 draft picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft.  Nail the rest of the off-season and I do believe that we can absolutely compete this season.  

Edited by -JB-

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Sir, calm down.  No need to get so emotional.  You’d think Washington has a tremendous record of spending freely in free agency the way you’re gallivanting.  Christ.  You’re throwing out numbers like 10-11 mill for unnamed guys.  Yes, I do think this team can benefit from some sort of continuity.  Especially along the OL.  Last year was a step in the right direction.  From 3-13 to 7-9 is absolutely progress.  I’d expect another step forward this season.  Especially on the defensive side of things.  32 mill in cap space left & 4 draft picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft.  Nail the rest of the off-season and I do believe that we can absolutely compete this season.  

That's what Rouille was for!!!  So what, 28m for the C and RG?  Gtfoh.

10 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I'll do you one better...just spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on a guard and move the **** on.  Or sign a guy in free agency for like 5m or 6m.

**** it, works for me :cheers:.  Get somebody and let them battle it out with Sweitzer. I'm cool with that as a stop gap at the right Guard position for a season or so. Let some people tell it, Brandon Scherff is completely irreplaceable, and the line would completely collapse if we let him walk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Continuity.  Yes.  Keeping them intact.  Are you serious? 

Yes, I'm serious.  So when Wes Sweitzer needs it, let's give him 10m.  And then between Rouille, Moses, sweitzer, and Scherff we can have the most overpaid, mediocre offensive line of all time, minus the gaping hole at left tackle.

I'm really sorry you don't understand how this works.

Edited by 86 Snyder

3 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Yes, I'm serious.  So when Wes Martin needs it, let's give him 10m.  And then between Rouille, Moses, Martin, and Scherff we can have the most overpaid, mediocre offensive line of all time, minus the gaping hole at left tackle.

I'm really sorry you don't understand how this works.

Scherff is the first Washington first team All-Pro since 1996 and we have what seems like the entire ES Board wanting to kick him to the curb.  You can’t make this **** up LOL

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Continuity.  Yes.  Keeping them intact.  Are you serious? 

Bruh, I'm all for continuity on the line. It's a must. But not at the cost of $18 Mill for a one year rental on a Guard. If we are coming off a strong season and are one of the top teams being picked to make it to the Super Bowl next year, I may say screw it, lets pay FT him since we cant come to a deal, and try to make this Super Bowl run.

But that's not our situation. We are coming off a 7-9 season. Not a wise move for us to pay him that money for a one year rental. 

7 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Scherff is the first Washington first team All-Pro since 1996 and we have what seems like the entire ES Board wanting to kick him to the curb.  You can’t make this **** up LOL

Yes, our last two all pros are a RG and a Punter.  What does this tell you.

ETA and the two before that were a Kick Returner and another Punter.  Can't make this **** up.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Bruh, I'm all for continuity on the line. It's a must. But not at the cost of $18 Mill for a one year rental on a Guard. 

Still an opportunity to sign him long term.  No need to get all emotional over a couple million dollars lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

because now you have to negotiate off 18m per year 👏👏👏👏👏

Zach Martin signed his contract in 2018.  You don’t think 3 years later a Guard coming off a first team all-pro season isn’t going to make more than 14 mill per season?  Who’s to say Scherff won’t sign long term for less annually than 18 mill it he’s going to get a big signing bonus.  Come on, man.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Zach Martin signed his contract in 2018.  You don’t think 3 years later a Guard coming off a first team all-pro season isn’t going to make more than 14 mill per season?  Who’s to say Scherff won’t sign long term for less annually than 18 mill it he’s going to get a big signing bonus.  Come on, man.  

I dont give two flying ****s about Zach Martin.  Because he has been so important in the Cowboys deep playoff runs??  Just take out a piece of paper and jot down some notes because what you need to understand is having Scherff adds probably 0.2 wins per season to this team.  At best.

Look, sorry to be so over the top...I'm taking my frustrations with the team out on you right now and I don't mean it to be personal...but you couldn't be more wrong.

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

I dont give two flying ****s about Zach Martin.  Because he has been so important in the Cowboys deep playoff runs??  Just take out a piece of paper and jot down some notes because what you need to understand is having Scherff adds probably 0.2 wins per season to this team.  At best.

Look, sorry to be so over the top...I'm taking my frustrations with the team out on you right now and I don't mean it to be personal...but you couldn't be more wrong.

Jaded Washington fan, I get it.  But I think you’re dead wrong because you are really making it a point to make it seem that because he’s a RG it’s just not a value position worth spending money on.  Spend more money on the OL!  It’s what they’ve never done here in Washington for so many years! They sign a LT to a large contract and the rest of the OL is patched together with journeymen or late round draft picks.  Finally put some resources to build that **** up properly.  And YES draft a LT early this draft too.

I’d say the worst outcome would have been to let Scherff walk, fail in finding an adequate replacement, and the offense as a whole suffers for it.  Second tag might be the 2nd worst outcome - the FA guard pool should be a pretty good one (or better), or we could find a quality rookie RG.  I do think they could salvage the situation (to an extent) if they can find a successor soon (whether a draft pick, or maybe from Charles earning the spot), or even sign an extension.  I’m not mad, but it doesn’t seem well played.  We’ll see how it plays out.

Edited by skinny21

Yeah that’s a pain in the arse move. I’ve said recently, I reckon Scherff is on a promise for big money if he hits FA, making it harder for us to strike a deal. Be interesting to see how quickly he signs that tag agreement, maybe he has already?

If not, find a cheaper alternative in a weeks time and rescind the offer :ols:18mil is an ugly one year deal.

• Like 1

I don't think the franchise tag is as bad an option as many are making it seem. While a LTD is by far and away best direction and a franchise tag is not at all good, I think just letting him walk would by far be the worst avenue and the one that needs to be avoided the most.

Hear me out a bit.

Sucking up an 18M hit for a G is all kinds of wrong, but it might just put us in great position for a potential lucrative outcome. Now that we have the tag on the table, this thing plays out in 4 ways (not counting trades)

1.) Sign him to LTD deal this year

2.) Plays on Tag this year

3.) Sign him to LTD next year

4.) Let him walk next year

This means that Sheriff is more than likely with us for this season, but we would have to opportunity to let him walk next year, where it would be much more favorable for us to do so.

We are currently one of the most cash flushed teams in FA this season. If we let him walk this year, there would be next to no chance at receiving a comp pick for him as we would easily cancel his out with our own signings.

There is very little chance Scheriff would be undesirable next year and he would likely still be in the position to set the G market heading into a year where many teams are more financially stable. We would almost assuredly get some kind of quality comp pick in that scenario.

Essentially what I am saying is by eating a couple extra Mil for G play this season, we can pick up a quality draft pick in 2 years. I think that is better than balking at paying him 15M on a LTD and letting him walk for nothing, even if we are in a decent position to pick up a replacement.

Hopefully we get a LTD done though. That is the best outcome to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

How the hell could they not have worked out a deal by now? Did they not learn a thing from the Cousins debacle? Jesus christ. 

Well they only brought in 19 GMs this offseason.   Apparently not enough, bc not one could see this is a bad idea.

• Like 2