Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

A week to go, and I can't wait to see how this plays out. I think we use a combination of 1 year prove-it deals for some high-quality veterans and some long-term big splash signings at major positions of need. And basically maximize the salary cap to our advantage in a way only 4-5 other teams are equipped to do this year ...

Bring back Scherff and Darby.

Nail a big FA at WR (Samuel) ... possibly a TE (Jonnu?). Nail a MLB if one comes free.

Then wait for the second wave of FA. After a few big names get signed, I think it'll quiet down and you'll have a long, slow-played FA cycle that may not fully play out until after the draft.

Sign a FS (Boston, Hooker) ... maybe sign a post-draft CB if you don't address the position then. Sign another LB if you whiff on LB in the draft.

I think you come out of the FA cycle with RG (Scherff), CB (Darby) ... WR, MLB, FS, OLB signings that could/should be penciled in as starters.

Also, wildcard here, Landon Collins. Are we playing Boston at FS, Curl at SS and putting Collins at the line as a backer? FWIW, he's the same build as JOK in the draft, so if you think he can make some plays at that spot, and you can get a Tre Boston type at FS for a couple years, that would give the defense some real nice flexibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The article says Darby likely wants $9-10m per year on a new deal. That fits. If you bring him back at that rate, him and Fuller and Collins make your secondary pretty expensive, so unless you can get a cheaper vet in on a one-year deal like you did Darby last year (for $3-5m) then it probably makes sense to go the route of the draft to get a mid-rounder to come in and compete for depth behind Fuller, Darby and Moreland.

This might not be a year where we sign 4-5 major free agents, but I'd bet some decent coin that we get a few solid names in here and add a couple solid veterans for cheaper deals as well to really round out the 2021 roster.

39 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The article says Darby likely wants $9-10m per year on a new deal. That fits. If you bring him back at that rate, him and Fuller and Collins make your secondary pretty expensive, so unless you can get a cheaper vet in on a one-year deal like you did Darby last year (for $3-5m) then it probably makes sense to go the route of the draft to get a mid-rounder to come in and compete for depth behind Fuller, Darby and Moreland.

This might not be a year where we sign 4-5 major free agents, but I'd bet some decent coin that we get a few solid names in here and add a couple solid veterans for cheaper deals as well to really round out the 2021 roster.

I could see Darby getting a four year deal to bring down that first year average. Collins is gone in 2022, so it is a temporary issue. 

The talent of this team is 2-3 years away from being paid, and that creates a window for more free agent additions. Coach has a better idea of who he has after his first season and typically that does mean new blood. 

I see 3+ major adds.

FS

MLB

OG/OT

WR

TE

I see them being aggressive. 

28 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I could see Darby getting a four year deal to bring down that first year average. Collins is gone in 2022, so it is a temporary issue. 

The talent of this team is 2-3 years away from being paid, and that creates a window for more free agent additions. Coach has a better idea of who he has after his first season and typically that does mean new blood. 

I see 3+ major adds.

FS

MLB

OG/OT

WR

TE

I see them being aggressive. 

I know we get a large dead cap for Collins if released this year, but it also clears about 6m to the cap, I would make this move personally. 

• Like 1

Updated contract projections from PFF Top 200 Free Agents:

#7 FS Anthony Harris: 4 years $56m with WFT

#9 RG Brandon Scherff: 4 years $60m with WFT

#25 WR Corey Davis: 4 years $65m with WFT

#52 QB Tyrod Taylor: 2 years $10m with WFT

#64 CB Ronald Darby: 3 years $30m with WFT

Project Curtis Samuel for 3/$25m ... Malik Hooker for  1/$3m and Tre Boston for 1/$2.5m

I would probably take Samuel and Hooker / Boston over Harris and Davis for those #s and think that's probably the most likely path we take given familiarity and upside. I like Harris and Davis but idk if we pay a premium for either of those. Davis would excite me the most since he's got more raw talent than almost any WR available in FA, but I would rather have Boston at a one year deal than Harris for $14m a year when we already have that mone tied up in SS Collins.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Project Curtis Samuel for 3/$25m ... Malik Hooker for  1/$3m and Tre Boston for 1/$2.5m

I would probably take Samuel and Hooker / Boston over Harris and Davis for those #s and think that's probably the most likely path we take given familiarity and upside. I like Harris and Davis but idk if we pay a premium for either of those. Davis would excite me the most since he's got more raw talent than almost any WR available in FA, but I would rather have Boston at a one year deal than Harris for $14m a year when we already have that mone tied up in SS Collins.

I'd rather take Boston over Harris and use the extra money to either grab Allen Robinson over Davis, or get a LB like Lavonte David if he becomes available.  That's too much money in the secondary when we have more glaring holes in the middle and at WR.  We haven't even gotten another QB yet though.  Interesting they see us grabbing all those guys though.

49 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I am not arguing your numbers but I guess I am too cheap for some of them:

I like Davis a lot better than Samuel, and Harris way better than Hooker but that much better

Give me Samuel, Hooker, Scherff, Darby and ....maybe Brissett over Taylor

and then with the extra give me David or squeak in Kyle Rudolph and Eric Wilson

With my tax returns and with a third round of stimulus payments going out and with both my wife and I still employed I think we can afford to resign scherff and get a stud lb...maybe if I move some finances around pay off some things get loans on other things maybe we can afford a new wr and be able to keep our d line in tact...

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Haha 1

I appreciate you guys sharing updates and tweets.  :cheers::cheers:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I am not arguing your numbers but I guess I am too cheap for some of them:

I like Davis a lot better than Samuel, and Harris way better than Hooker but that much better

Give me Samuel, Hooker, Scherff, Darby and ....maybe Brissett over Taylor

and then with the extra give me David or squeak in Kyle Rudolph and Eric Wilson

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Matt Milano
Matt Milano
LB | 26 years old

Even at age 31, Lavonte David remains one of the NFL's best true off-ball linebackers and figures to get a strong deal after helping the Bucs to a Super Bowl win -- potentially staying in Tampa. But don't be surprised if there's also a big payday somewhere for Milano, who's undersized and played just 10 games (five starts) for the Bills in 2020 because of injuries, but has been productive when he's on the field.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

That contract is absolutely going to destroy the Cowboys. They better hope they win a SB within a year or two because they're going to be in absolute cap hell shortly. Basically their entire cap is tied up on offense now. They better hope they can put up 30+ points per game at least.

I'm definitely glad he didn't hit FA and we paid that. Dak is good but IMO not in the elite echelon.