Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Man. The premium players that were going to be in FA this year have dried up quick. 

By time official free agency starts the cupboard will be empty. The next raft will be getting purged in the legal tampering period. Teams are likely going to largely escape the cull due to limited cap space as well by reworking deals too. 

Might be looking at slightly inflated tier 2 contracts at this rate. Really need to get 2 or 3 quality players through the door.

• Like 1

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-free-agency-rumors-free-agents-2021/

Lions not using the franchise tag on Golladay, Dolphins showing interest?

ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported that the Detroit Lions have decided not to use the franchise tag on WR Kenny Golladay. Golladay has spent all four of his seasons in Detroit after being drafted in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft out of Northern Illinois.

The former pro bowl player will now hit the open market. According to the Miami Herald’s Adam Beasley, both the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants have significant interest in adding Golladay.

“Word around the league is the Dolphins are determined to add a No. 1 receiver in free agency, and they are expected to show considerable interest in Golladay once the legal tampering period begins next week. One league source went so far as to predict he ends up either with the Dolphins or the Giants.”

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big Jonnu Smith guy.  Teams need two TE's that can make plays.   We are unique in that we don't have that cooking.  You can use more 12 personnel groups especially in the red zone and you aren't screwed if your TE goes down. 

I'd actually be cool with going Jonnu Smith at TE and then cheap at WR with someone like Agholor. 

Smith and Samuel would be nice, but even then you are probably looking at two 10mil per year deals....is that real value ???

To me, free agency seems to get tougher as the years pass. Maybe it’s because we have sucked and have become less appealing, or that we are more reserved generally in our spend approach. Or that the cream get tagged and taken out of the shop window. Don’t know.

The draft has always been important, gradually feels like the nature of free agency now actually increases that importance of the draft process.

To me i am more optimistic than I was before as to fish in the sea.  There was a ton of noise that Allen Robinson, Golladay and C. Godwin would be tagged.  And heck one of them wasn't tagged.  Some noise that Henry and J. Smith would be tagged and neither one was tagged.  Lavonte David I thought was a long shot, plenty of noise he wanted to work things out in Tampa.

To me things look better than I expected. 

Jonnu Smith to me in particular is a nice surprise as for availability.  Some here seem protective of Logan Thomas like another dude would get in his way like having a bell cow RB losing reps.  But most teams have two TE's that can threaten a defense.  And I'd add while it may feel like Logan Thomas is a young up and coming pup because he's somewhat new to the position.   But reality is he's going to be 30.  He's a veteran.  Jonnu is actually young.    

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-overrated-underrated-2021-nfl-free-agents-at-every-position-dak-prescott-shaquill-griffin-more

UNDERRATED: JONNU SMITH

2020 team: Titans | Age entering 2021 season: 26

In many ways, Smith's career has been similar to that of Everett, but you can construct a better case that Smith's best football is ahead of him and that he is just an increase in opportunity away from a real breakout season.

Smith scored eight touchdowns in 2020 and has returned a passer rating of over 100.0 in three of his four years in the NFL. His most recent two seasons have been his best years in terms of overall PFF grade, and the 25-year-old has dropped just three passes on 118 targets across those years.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Starting to think the plan is to swoop in on veteran cuts and look for value deals.  Still expecting us to push for one of the bigger name WR's but ultimate it seems like we will be sorting through the bargain bin.  I'd rather still add one A-lister but there should be a good deal of value hitting the market over the next week or so.

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

Starting to think the plan is to swoop in on veteran cuts and look for value deals.  Still expecting us to push for one of the bigger name WR's but ultimate it seems like we will be sorting through the bargain bin.  I'd rather still add one A-lister but there should be a good deal of value hitting the market over the next week or so.

Yeah this seems to be the play in my opinion.  Wade into the waters, but hold your trump hand for the pile of talent that should become available cheaper.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Smith and Samuel would be nice, but even then you are probably looking at two 10mil per year deals....is that real value ???

My goal is to find a playmaker or two who can help change this offense.  That's my top goal.    Ditto as to upgrading MLB.   

In FA, my mindset is swing for the fences on a player or two.  Heck yeah I'd pay Jonnu Smith 10 million.  

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

My goal is to find a playmaker or two who can help change this offense.  That's my top goal.    Ditto as to upgrading MLB.   

In FA, my mindset is swing for the fences on a player or two.  Heck yeah I'd pay Jonnu Smith 10 million.  

I’ve been in on Smith for months, so I agree in principle. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, method man said:

I'm thinking KJ Wright has to be the primary target on a 2 year deal. However, he'll be 32 by the time the season starts. 

I've been touting him for months.  Only thing that made me pause a little is he seems to have found his niche at OLB as opposed to inside.  But he intrigues me. 

44 minutes ago, method man said:

If you plan on retaining Logan Thomas long term, you can't pay Jonnu Smith. This draft is deep enough that you should be able to find a good TE#2 on Day 2

Logan Thomas will be 31 next year.  i am not so sure he's going to get some blockbuster deal if he hits FA.  But if he walks, he walks.  There are so many draft picks we have just like there is so much cap room.  I am guessing right now they are more likely to take a LT and WR in the first two rounds.  I wonder who is left TE wise in the third?  Tremble could be gone, Brevin Jordan could be gone.  Long?  But I don't like to be boxed in to take a spot in the draft. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been touting him for months.  Only thing that made me pause a little is he seems to have found his niche at OLB as opposed to inside.  But he intrigues me. 

It's only because the guy that have at MIKE is an All Decade Team type of player. KJ is a very smart player in his own right and I don't doubt he'll be able to call plays and guide this defense. 

I also think we can woo him given Ron and Jack were both NFL linebackers

Edited by method man

Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith are no brainer FA targets. You can never have too many quality TE’s on your roster. We had literally one guy at the position last year. I’d jump at signing either, possibly drafting a guy in the 2nd/3rd, and hope for some progression from Gandy Golden. 

Absolute pass on KJ Wright. 

I hate Free Agency.  I’d rather jump right to the draft.  The best teams don’t jump into Free Agency early on and start throwing $$ around like ES board members are praying that Washington does.  It’s like with Golladay.  The guy played with a better QB in Detroit than we have here on our roster and they finished 5-11. Sure, our Defense has a lot of potential to be great but we did lose to Detroit last season.  So adding a WR that’s impact was minimal on a 5-11 team is going to catapult us into the upper echelon of teams?  NO.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I bet he goes for 12 million.    Young TE's who are talented don't often hit the market.  It's also one of the toughest positions to develop via the draft. 

Love Smith and agree.  Question non exclusive franchise Tag for Sherff as mentioned by Mark.  If Scherff signs with the tag on him can we still take offers and trade him? 

13 minutes ago, method man said:

It's only because the guy that have at MIKE is an All Decade Team type of player. KJ is a very smart player in his own right and I don't doubt he'll be able to call plays and guide this defense. 

I also think we can woo him given Ron and Jack were both NFL linebackers

Agree.  And, you don't need to convince me I think I was the first or one of the first on this thread to push KJ Wright.  I've put up a lot of material on him on this thread.

What got my attention some though in the mix of what I read was KJ had an off year the season before -- they moved him to outside LB and had a better season.  

But I've pushed him for a reason. 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Love Smith and agree.  Question non exclusive franchise Tag for Sherff as mentioned by Mark.  If Scherff signs with the tag on him can we still take offers and trade him? 

Unless language in the contract prohibits it, you can always trade a player under contract as far as I know, including the tags. 

• Like 1