Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I hate Free Agency.  I’d rather jump right to the draft.  The best teams don’t jump into Free Agency early on and start throwing $$ around like ES board members are praying that Washington does.  It’s like with Golladay.  The guy played with a better QB in Detroit than we have here on our roster and they finished 5-11. Sure, our Defense has a lot of potential to be great but we did lose to Detroit last season.  So adding a WR that’s impact was minimal on a 5-11 team is going to catapult us into the upper echelon of teams?  NO.

Golladay was injuried most of last season.  He was more impressive the year before when Stafford missed a lot of games and he had David Blough throwing to him.  

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Love Smith and agree.  Question non exclusive franchise Tag for Sherff as mentioned by Mark.  If Scherff signs with the tag on him can we still take offers and trade him? 

I believe other teams can offer Sherff a contract, if we don't match it we could get 2 1st round picks, that won't happen but teams can agree to any draft compensation. 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Love Smith and agree.  Question non exclusive franchise Tag for Sherff as mentioned by Mark.  If Scherff signs with the tag on him can we still take offers and trade him? 

Jonnu Smith for me are the type of FAs I really dig.  Young-up and coming with star potential.  And I agree with Keim's point below.   I'd sign him and then go cheapish in WR with someone like Agholor or M. Jones or Higgins.  I don't think we get him though -- too many needy teams.  But its a fun thought. 

• Like 4

if we go cheapish at WR

WR

Agholor arrived as a bit of a below-the-fold signing in Las Vegas but maximized his opportunities in his first season in Silver and Black, catching 48 passes for 896 yards (an average of 18.7 yards per reception) and eight touchdowns in 2020. He also posted a catch rate over expectation of +2.7 percent and helped Raiders passers record a 113.7 passer rating when targeting him. Agholor didn't land among the 1,000-yard receivers, but he truly made the most of his receptions, gaining the aforementioned total while receiving just 15.7 percent of his team's total targets for the season. With tight end Darren Waller carrying the largest share of targets for the Raiders, Agholor found his niche in the deep-passing game, gaining 415 yards and scoring six touchdowns on 10 deep receptions (20 total targets) this season, good for the fifth-most yards and second-most touchdowns in the NFL. The offseason buzz rightfully centered on rookie Henry Ruggs, but Agholor proved he is also a quality deep threat who is a vital part of Las Vegas' passing offense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, drowland said:

Golladay was injuried most of last season.  He was more impressive the year before when Stafford missed a lot of games and he had David Blough throwing to him.  

No thanks to a guy injured most of last season especially if he’s going to have a high price tag.  Would rather take same approach as last offseason.  Especially since we actually have more draft picks this year with our first, second & two third rounders.

FA works if you make good signings.  We transformed our defense the season Gibbs arrived from bad to good in one fell swoop with C. Griffin, Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, etc.  The NY Giants helped transform one of the worst defenses in the league to an above average one with signings like Blake Martinez, Bradberry -- trading for and then bringing back Leonard Williams.    London Fletcher helped revive our wretched defense from the season before, etc.

FA may feel scary because of all the dumb signings we've made under Bruce and Vinny but Ron did a good job last year.  

It's not about one WR or one anything.  But you build a roster via multiple FAs and multiple draft picks.  Tampa is a good example of that.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@-JB- don’t the 49ers get one of our two 3rd round picks because we hired Mayhew? Or is that next year?

From what I understand they get a comp pick versus us losing a pick.  losing a pick would be weird if they are trying to encourage more minority hirings. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@-JB- don’t the 49ers get one of our two 3rd round picks because we hired Mayhew? Or is that next year?

From what I understand they get a comp pick versus us losing a pick.  losing a pick would be weird if they are trying to encourage more minority hirings. 

It's a comp pick. We didn't trade for him. 

41 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I hate Free Agency.  I’d rather jump right to the draft.  The best teams don’t jump into Free Agency early on and start throwing $$ around like ES board members are praying that Washington does.  It’s like with Golladay.  The guy played with a better QB in Detroit than we have here on our roster and they finished 5-11. Sure, our Defense has a lot of potential to be great but we did lose to Detroit last season.  So adding a WR that’s impact was minimal on a 5-11 team is going to catapult us into the upper echelon of teams?  NO.

We have added a ton of very good players through FA over the years. Yes. You can miss on some. Just like you can miss in the draft. But FA is an important part of team building IMO. 

53 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Imagine how much better Tampa Bay would be if they utilized free agency.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, -JB- said:

No thanks to a guy injured most of last season especially if he’s going to have a high price tag.  Would rather take same approach as last offseason.  Especially since we actually have more draft picks this year with our first, second & two third rounders.

Just imagine adding Golladay and Hunter Henry to this offense....Our offense becomes dynamic. All NFL players are subject to injury as we all well know. I would be thrilled if we add Golladay and another TE in free agency or the draft. Then, just keep building the defense and we have a very dangerous, well rounded team. RR is on record as saying he is not a patient man, I expect him to go big in free agency...

I don't really understand the jonnu smith love, especially at 10 mil aav.  Pff says he is a "capable" blocker, and his career highs are 41 catches and 448 yards. 

I see he has improved every year, and I know tenn was a run first team with brown and davis as wr competing for targets.  

Considering we signed an ascending logan thomas for 2 years 6 mil, and he produced 72 catches, I don't see jonnu as good value at 10 mil.  I'd rather sign logan to a multi year deal at that price range, and look for the next logan thomas on a similar 2 yr 6 mil contract.  Even one with less receiving ability, but is a capable blocker with the ability to catch some balls here and there, would seem a better approach considering all our other needs.  

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

Starting to think the plan is to swoop in on veteran cuts and look for value deals.  Still expecting us to push for one of the bigger name WR's but ultimate it seems like we will be sorting through the bargain bin.  I'd rather still add one A-lister but there should be a good deal of value hitting the market over the next week or so.

I'd be ok with that, they did a fantastic job with value deals last year.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

This did not age well 

That’s too bad, but not surprising.  He’d be a guy I’d overpay for.  So who is in play now?  Kirksey, JBrown, Milano.  Who else?  I know Indy has an ILB, that would come cheaper but hasn’t had the same experience/production as this trio.

17 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Just imagine adding Golladay and Hunter Henry to this offense....Our offense becomes dynamic. All NFL players are subject to injury as we all well know. I would be thrilled if we add Golladay and another TE in free agency or the draft. Then, just keep building the defense and we have a very dangerous, well rounded team. RR is on record as saying he is not a patient man, I expect him to go big in free agency...

I don’t think spending the $ required to add those pieces is worth chancing it that not only will they Be healthy but also will we have a QB that will be able to make the offense Go.

46 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Imagine how much better Tampa Bay would be if they utilized free agency.

Yea because we are obtaining Tom Brady this off-season!  Wow

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

No.  They don’t get one of our 3rd rounders either way.  I’m pretty sure they may get compensation pick as if a free agent left.  We are not penalized.

7 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I don’t think spending the $ required to add those pieces is worth chancing it that not only will they Be healthy but also will we have a QB that will be able to make the offense Go.

Yet you're excited about Tagging injury prone Scherff for a one year $18 Mill rental....the irony.....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

WR

If Miami does this and gets Watson or maybe even Zach Wilson, they've set themselves up really nice to contend in the next 4-5 years. I can see them giving Buffalo a run for their money. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

JP Finlay on his podcast said both Ron and Scherff want to get a deal done still and this is by no means like the Kirk cousins situation when we tagged him twice. He threw out a possibility of maybe $15million AAV but that might be out the window now that he’s making $18 million on the tag.