Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Patriots reupping Cam simply means they don’t like Stidham. That’s it. Doesn’t mean much else for them.

It means they want to keep him at least as a backup. I'd keep Stidham for being cheap or drop both altogether. I saw nothing in Cam to make him worth bringing back.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

It means they want to keep him at least as a backup. I'd keep Stidham for being cheap or drop both altogether. I saw nothing in Cam to make him worth bringing back.

They don’t have another option is the take you should be getting out of it. They don’t want to go into FA/Draft with no QBs.

Cam is familiar with them and the system and at the very least he can run them to... mediocrity. 

He is their best option right now and cheap.

Stidham is a guy they clearly don’t trust. So they chose to go into FA/Draft with an incentive laden contract on their starter from last year.

It was telling how they didn’t go back to Stidham despite Cam’s struggles.

14 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

To me this says they for sure are going QB in the 1st round.

Brady was complaining that he had no weapons in NE in 2019 (that this complaint was not BS is the main take away from TB SB year) . NE with Cam was actually only a little worse than NE was with Brady over the back 8 of 2019. Much of their 8-0 front side had to do with defense.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-13-perfect-player-team-matches-including-kenny-golladay-in-the-nfc-east/

WR Kenny Golladay – WFT

It's been a looong time since Dan Snyder made a true free-agent splash. His former team president, Bruce Allen, seemed all about saving money and, well let's just say Snyder could use a distraction or two. They were all over Amari Cooper a year ago – albeit under different front office management – and with Terry McLaurin still a year away from being able to get paid on his rookie deal and whoever the WFT QB ends up being in need of some help, and the defense already loaded with young, cheap assets, Golladay could really unlock some stuff downfield. He and Scary Terry would be as good a 1-2 punch as there is in the NFL. You add a guy like this, with an air back like Gibson and with Logan Thomas emerging as a pass-catching TE a year ago, with that defense, and you might win the crappy NFC East again.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Mahomes deal being 're-worked' in to his $21.7 salary.... now a 'bonus'

Basically, the NFL cap is crap.... Let's make everyone's salary a bonus

Yep, KC nailed it with that contract. I also think Mahomes was very smart. Deal helps him, helps the team. Any notion KC are in the soup is nonsense. Cap will go up at least 25% in 3 years. 

I hope our FO are ahead of the curve this offseason.

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep, KC nailed it with that contract. I also think Mahomes was very smart. Deal helps him, helps the team. Any notion KC are in the soup is nonsense. Cap will go up at least 25% in 3 years. 

I hope our FO are ahead of the curve this offseason.

Schaffer was always ahead of it.  One of the best, IMO.  Now we have to hope the new guy from Carolina is.  

Just now, RWJ said:

Schaffer was always ahead of it.  One of the best, IMO.  Now we have to hope the new guy from Carolina is.  

He was, but I’m pleased we moved on from that previous regime. 

I’m sure we’ll be fine cap wise, it shouldn’t be difficult for an NFL Front Office to manage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

It means they want to keep him at least as a backup.

It would seem that way. But Newton does not seem like the type of guy who would willingly and knowingly accept a backup job, due to his level of pride.

Unless he's had a recent epiphany on what he has left, to contribute in the NFL.

21 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Please keep asking and looking, but...if no one else steps up, I will give it a shot.

But who would you draft as QB though, since you already know that none of them compare to Heinicke ?

I mean, in a Fantasy Draft, as opposed to a Rookie Draft, we already know who you would pick at QB for that ;)

• Haha 2

The fact that New Orleans will probably end up signing a couple of marquee free agents and that Dallas managed to hold onto every single one of their guys (minus Jones) despite cap burdens shows just easily manipulated the cap can be. We should be taking advantage of that.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The fact that New Orleans will probably end up signing a couple of marquee free agents and that Dallas managed to hold onto every single one of their guys (minus Jones) despite cap burdens shows just easily manipulated the cap can be. We should be taking advantage of that.

Agreed. Need to go all in FA and get some talent brought in.

• Like 1

There's just something unsettling about a football player who doesn't love a great steak.  It's almost as strange a concept as "World Champion Washington Redskins", and I've experienced that 3 times (including that glorious first parade in a monsoon).

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

They'll manipulate to keep core pieces in place by restructuring big salaries into signing bonuses.  This doesn't come without higher degree of roster volatility.  Two things can go wrong with every guy you do this for and the end result is devastating to your chances of winning week to week in this league.  First, dudes get hurt.  The ability to have depth on your roster is damaged.  Second, you're paying NFL LTDs in a progressive manner where subsequent yearly raises in salary are supposed to correspond with increasing productivity.  All those restructures won't be good contracts for what future results you've already paid it forward for.  The result are bad contracts with huge dead cap hits.  GM's can flirt with the grey areas, but eventually they go into the black. 

That's not how you build a yearly contender, rather it's more of an ALL-IN shove. 

giphy.gif

Edited by TheShredder