Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

45 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

LB Kirksey signed with Houston.  Another LB off the table.

They'll draft a LB'er if they can't get a FA they love.

Another option could be Landin Collins.  He's convertible to what they want need more of at that position group.  If he's healthy, they con restructure his deal to make him serviceable and his contract tradable in the case that switch doesn't workout.  They don't even need to declare the switch, just call him a hybrid (which he's already more of a LB'er than a cover guy). 

6 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

I don't think Scherff is in their long term plans. I think they are going to find a cheaper replacement for him and let him walk after this season. This gives them one more season with a very good player to help the transition. 

This is it.  And if/when he does sign with another team, you get a compensatory 3rd.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It would seem that way. But Newton does not seem like the type of guy who would willingly and knowingly accept a backup job, due to his level of pride.

Unless he's had a recent epiphany on what he has left, to contribute in the NFL.

But who would you draft as QB though, since you already know that none of them compare to Heinicke ?

I mean, in a Fantasy Draft, as opposed to a Rookie Draft, we already know who you would pick at QB for that ;)

I'll just trade for him. Two firsts and two seconds sounds about right!  😀

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is it.  And if/when he does sign with another team, you get a compensatory 3rd.

That's either Plan A or B.  Signing him to a LTD that averages ~15M gives you a better set of option, as that 3rd round comp pick a year later can be a much higher pick the next year with a trade.

45 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

They'll manipulate to keep core pieces in place by restructuring big salaries into signing bonuses.  This doesn't come without higher degree of roster volatility.  Two things can go wrong with every guy you do this for and the end result is devastating to your chances of winning week to week in this league.  First, dudes get hurt.  The ability to have depth on your roster is damaged.  Second, you're paying NFL LTDs in a progressive manner where subsequent yearly raises in salary are supposed to correspond with increasing productivity.  All those restructures won't be good contracts for what future results you've already paid it forward for.  The result are bad contracts with huge dead cap hits.  GM's can flirt with the grey areas, but eventually they go into the black. 

That's not how you build a yearly contender, rather it's more of an ALL-IN shove. 

giphy.gif

No it's not, but it's an easy fix when you go for it and it doesn't pan out. 

22 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

I don't think Scherff is in their long term plans. I think they are going to find a cheaper replacement for him and let him walk after this season. This gives them one more season with a very good player to help the transition. 

We can dream.  Scherff made out like a fat cat and played RR like a fiddle on this one like Kirk played Allen on his.  Can't blame either player. They were presented the FT and signed it.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

The best transition is playing, so if you're drafting a guy to play behind another guy making 18, I don't expect that first guy to play.

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

Unless Rivera has got a trade partner for Sherff, this is his first big mistake in since he took over. 

Not likely a tag-n-trade the same year because the cap hit for a RG is too high and he wants to get paid on a LTD obviously.  They have to get him locked up for other options to be viable or he's playing his last year for WFT.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

No it's not, but it's an easy fix when you go for it and it doesn't pan out. 

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Not likely a tag-n-trade the same year because the cap hit for a RG is too high and he wants to get paid on a LTD obviously.  They have to get him locked up for other options to be viable or he's playing his last year for WFT.

Yep. Guys like Turner and Thurney and Zeitler on the market for a fraction of Scherff without having to give up picks. Scherff unfortunately isn't going anywhere and I'd be shocked if we actually worked out a deal before the deadline. 

Glad we locked up Scherff.  We need to keep our best players.  Hopefully they sign him to a long term deal that is more team friendly. 

Also glad (relieved) Cam signed with the Patriots to remove that temptation.  I was really worried he'd end up here although I do think it would go better than it did with the Patriots.  He probably knows our system already and think that was a major factor for his poor performance in NE...just didn't know the system very well.

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

I don't like the tag for him, regardless. But if their rationale was actually to pay $18 mil to a G for one year just to "help a transition" to another guy, then that is just rock stupid. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Worse case scenario is that we don't sign Scherff to LTD, he walks next year, and we use the money we would have spent on him to pay one of our DLineman. And we get a compensatory pick. I can live with that. Might even prefer it.

Another negative aspect is that even though we have money THIS year, every dollar overspent this year is yet another dollar that can't be carried over into 2022. I love Scherff, but overpaying has repercussions that carry forward. So theoretically 2022 will have both Brandon gone and about $5m of extra cap space as well. If he isn't converted into a fair LTD, our FO loses a little credibility

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I'll just trade for him. Two firsts and two seconds sounds about right!  😀

Good, now that Heinicke has "set the market' for Top Tier QB compensation.

DeShaun has been waiting patiently, for that Heinicke Meter to be set.

Now his Texans team can figure what hes worth in a trade, and finally get his wish to be traded.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Good, now that Heinicke has "set the market' for Top Tier QB compensation.

DeShaun has been waiting patiently, for that Heinicke Meter to be set.

Now his Texans team can figure what hes worth in a trade, and finally get his wish to be traded.

The sierra will hit the fan when Watson realizes he just doesn't have the value that TH does. At that point he will go into a deep depression and wind up on IR while undergoing psychoanalysis.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:10 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think we only need one LB and I'm not sure we should get one in FA. I do like Jayon Brown, like most around here seem to. That also means there's probably a hefty market for him, as he's clearly a pretty good player. We just need someone to call the plays and replace Bostic. The reason why I like someone like a Zaven Collins is because he has a good amount of QB experience, plus the athletic traits you look for at the position. I like his upside as a commander for our defense. 

We rarely play 3 LB sets and Ron has hinted at wanting KPL back to play that position. I don't see the value in signing someone to a large contract that is on the field 25% - 30% of the defensive snaps. 

define large?  We have maybe 1 viable starter.  We need 3, no matter how rarely we're in the formation, and those three need backups, plus linebacker is a key position for providing special teams players

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Preston Smith took a pay cut to stay in Green Bay. Funny how that never seems to happen here.

Thought for sure he was going to get cut, I was surprised he got the contract that he did 

I’m glad we moved on from him anyways