Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Yep. Guys like Turner and Thurney and Zeitler on the market for a fraction of Scherff without having to give up picks. Scherff unfortunately isn't going anywhere and I'd be shocked if we actually worked out a deal before the deadline. 

Zeitler and Turner are on the market for a reason. Turner played like ass and Zeitler had a down year. 

Thuney cannot be had for a fraction of Scherff. He'll get a similar contract to what Scherff would get. Probably less, but not significantly less.

Ya'll are having this conversation as if Scherff is some scrub or something. Guy is possibly the best Guard in franchise history. The franchise tag is not a great move, but paying a good player is not some sign of this team being stupid. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Zeitler and Turner are on the market for a reason. Turner played like ass and Zeitler had a down year. 

Thuney cannot be had for a fraction of Scherff. He'll get a similar contract to what Scherff would get. Probably less, but not significantly less.

Ya'll are having this conversation as if Scherff is some scrub or something. Guy is possibly the best Guard in franchise history. The franchise tag is not a great move, but paying a good player is not some sign of this team being stupid. 

I just meant the idea of a sign and trade. Thurney's market value according to Sportrac is 15.3  annually and he's younger than Scherff.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I just meant the idea of a sign and trade. Thurney's market value according to Sportrac is 15.3  annually and he's younger than Scherff.

Ah I get it now. 

I think Scherff would demand something around that 15.3 average. Maybe like 16-17. I wonder if he's simply asking for way too much money and that's why they can't get a deal done. 

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

Ah I get it now. 

I think Scherff would demand something around that 15.3 average. Maybe like 16-17. I wonder if he's simply asking for way too much money and that's why they can't get a deal done. 

My guess? It always seems to boil down to guaranteed money and RR wants incentives for game plays since he's missed games every year since 2016

44 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Russ Grimm is the best guard in franchise history...Scherff has a ways to go to get to that level. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The life of a long snapper.  Most people on here can tell you where our practice squad qb went to college, but how many can name the school our long time veteran long snapper went to.   He can freely shop for groceries.  No one has ever come up to ask him for an autograph while he dines out with his family.  

8.5 mil and counting in career earnings.  And counting.   For long snapping a football.  He has the shiniest jersey after practice on a daily basis.  

FYI - Cal-Berkley.  I had to Google it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The fact that New Orleans will probably end up signing a couple of marquee free agents and that Dallas managed to hold onto every single one of their guys (minus Jones) despite cap burdens shows just easily manipulated the cap can be. We should be taking advantage of that.

LOL.

New Orleans had to let go of about a half dozen starters, will lose more in Free Agency and will still be likely to lose more talent next year. This while their franchise's all-time signature player retires. They are likely done as a serious contender for the foreseeable future. 

Dallas, who were never in cap trouble, are now suspected of being compelled to release Amari Cooper and/or Ezekiel Elliot next year. 

I'm not sure "Boy, going way over the cap is nothing but fun" is exactly the lesson to be learned there. 

23 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL.

New Orleans had to let go of about a half dozen starters, will lose more in Free Agency and will still be likely to lose more talent next year. This while their franchise's all-time signature player retires. They are likely done as a serious contender for the foreseeable future. 

Dallas, who were never in cap trouble, are now suspected of being compelled to release Amari Cooper and/or Ezekiel Elliot next year. 

I'm not sure "Boy, going way over the cap is nothing but fun" is exactly the lesson to be learned there. 

Honestly, who did New Orleans lose that they probably wouldn't have released anyways? 32 year old Jenkins? Perennially injured Alexander? 33 year old Emmanuel Sanders with has 75% of his production come in 3 games? 50 year old Jared Cook? Vastly overpaid Josh Hill? 

I'm not advocating for destroying our cap position but right now we're not doing anything with it. I'd rather we take care of our own but we're not even doing that. It's like the team is too afraid to make a big move. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

8.5 mil and counting in career earnings.  And counting.   For long snapping a football.  He has the shiniest jersey after practice on a daily basis.  

Let's not underestimate the difficulty and pressure of being a long snapper. :)

Of course, starting with the known fact, that it's much more difficult to long snap accurately, than it is, for a typical Center to be accurate.

Then the fact that his position has the least margin of error, for any position. I'd go as far as saying he less margin of error allowed, than either a kicker or punter.

In fact, there's 2 areas he has almost no margin of error:

1) Precision of the individual snap : You have a tremendously small strike zone to pitch it into. If you're off by a few inches, just one time, it can make your whole day a failure

2) Consistency in accuracy percentage, from snap to snap : You're expected to repeat the above snap, very close to 100% accuracy each and every time in order to keep your job. A QB can throw numerous incompletions per game, but a Long Snapper snaps just ONE "incompletion" in the whole game, and then his name is in the headlines, and for all the wrong reasons.

And if he snaps more than 2 "incompletions" in a single season, his job is in jeopardy of being fired.

In addition, he's probably playing the "least replaceable" position on the team ; that is, if he gets hurt mid-game.

He is so valuable to the team, I wouldn't be surprised if they minimized how much "extra work" he does, so as not to take the risk of hurting one of his prized snapping fingers.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Let's not underestimate the difficulty and pressure of being a long snapper. :)

Of course, starting with the known fact, that it's much more difficult to long snap accurately, than it is, for a typical Center to be accurate.

Then the fact that his position has the least margin of error, for any position. I'd go as far as saying he less margin of error allowed, than either a kicker or punter.

In fact, there's 2 areas he has almost no margin of error:

1) Precision of the individual snap : You have a tremendously small strike zone to pitch it into. If you're off by a few inches, just one time, it can make your whole day a failure

2) Consistency in accuracy percentage, from snap to snap : You're expected to repeat the above snap, very close to 100% accuracy, to keep your job. A QB can throw numerous incompletions per game, but a Long Snapper snaps just ONE "incompletion" in the whole game, and then his name is in the headlines, and for all the wrong reasons.

And if he snaps more than 2 "incompletions" in a single season, his job is in jeopardy of being fired.

Muscle memory.  Imagine if Jordan just had to shoot free throws.

10d3f8178be0184ecd02232216818d70.jpg

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Honestly, who did New Orleans lose that they probably wouldn't have released anyways? 32 year old Jenkins? Perennially injured Alexander? 33 year old Emmanuel Sanders with has 75% of his production come in 3 games? 50 year old Jared Cook? Vastly overpaid Josh Hill? 

Sanders, Jenkins, Cook and Alexander were starters. So were Anzalone, Hendrickson and Rankins, who they will likely lose in FA. Morstead was their Punter. Several others were solid role players.

It's weird that a team could be in the final 8 and be considered a title contender being filled with such garbage players that they would be released regardless of the cap. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Sanders, Jenkins, Cook and Alexander were starters. So were Anzalone, Hendrickson and Rankins, who they will likely lose in FA. Morstead was their Punter. Several others were solid role players.

It's weird that a team could be in the final 8 and be considered a title contender being filled with such garbage players that they would be released regardless of the cap. 

Again, Sanders Jenkins and Cook are older players. Kwon would count for 13 million and he's in the midth of recovering from an achilles tear. He had no more guaranteed money left and I imagine all 32 teams would have done the exact same thing. 

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Again, Sanders Jenkins and Cook are older players. Kwon would count for 13 million and he's in the midth of recovering from an achilles tear. He had no more guaranteed money left and I imagine all 32 teams would have done the exact same thing. 

Well, I can't wait to see how much they improve on 12-4 without all that deadweight on their roster. 

24 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Muscle memory.  Imagine if Jordan just had to shoot free throws.

Interesting.

Not something I can relate to though, as sometimes it seems like i have Muscle Azheimer's (especially if I try to long snap, or toss free throws)

So, to Long Snappers, it's like riding a bike ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, to Long Snappers, it's like riding a bike ?

I wouldn't take anything I say about long snappers too seriously.  Actually I wouldn't take anything I say about anything too seriously.

But if you were to dedicate one hour a day to long snapping a football for 20 years, I bet you'd be pretty good at it.  It's a unique situation, bc what if top athletes didn't practice playing qb, ss, pg, etc.  The long snapper is someone who knows the ceiling is fairly low and they throw in the towel on a potentially more lucrative path in a strategic decision to shift their focus to one particular specific rather mundane skill.  

• Like 1