Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, carex said:

that still leaves second best as possible.  The only other guys worth mentioning are May, McKenzie and Schlereth.  And of them Schlereth was the only one who wasn't more valuable for his versatility

I'm not sure Scherrf is better than Derrick Dockery.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Scherffly, you can't be serious ?

Dockery was probably a superior run blocker. Scherrf just seems like one of those guys who's good at a lot of things, but not great at any. He's good at pulling and blocking in space. He's good at pass blocking, but has been known to get overwhelmed/pushed back, he good at combo blocks, etc. Given where he was drafted, he should be HOF material and I don't think he is. I don't think he's close.

I think I'm also just in a negative frame of mind when it comes to Scherrf. It bugs me when players make noises about "wanting to end their career here and how they love Washington" and yet you never hear about any movement on their contract and the only deals they are willing to sign are franchise tags. Just seems disingenuous. I don't begrudge a player trying to net the biggest payday they can, but don't pretend otherwise at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I can totally understand his concern...

Uncertainty at the QB position...

He doesn't even know who will be throwing him the ball...

He is waiting, to be 100% certain that it's Taylor Heinicke that will be tossing him the ball. And noone else but Heinicke.

Clearly he's nervous at the prospect that Rivera might draft a QB in the first round, or spend a lot on a FA QB or trade.

Which would likely nullify Heinicke getting a fair shake.

He wants guarantees from Rivera, that "Heinicke will be his man"

:ols:

Rivera: "You should come play here. I promise you that Taylor Heinicke will be your QB."

Golladay: "Great.........."

Rivera: "....."

Golladay: "....."

Rivera: "You have no idea who he is, do you?"

Golladay: "None."

30 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm not sure Scherrf is better than Derrick Dockery.

Eh. I think Scherff is a little bit overrated (I thought he had a very good 2020 but I was still surprised by 1st team All-Pro) and I liked Dock, but IMO it's hard to say that Scherff isn't an overall better player. Dock was super solid and super dependable but he was never really a top 5 Guard like Scherff is right now.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's still Saturday and we have time before legal tampering takes place and we can negotiate with ALL players on Monday but I would hope that we will get signings with our own Darby, Hopkins and Sunberg taken care of before that starts.  They went $$$ with our OG Scherff whether it be tag or LTD.  I hope that aren't cheap with the ones I've mentioned however LS don't get paid that much anyway.  

Scherff is the team’s first first team All Pro player we’ve had in the Snyder regime since the punter Turk.  All Pro is considered more prestigious than a pro bowl nod.

He is considering one of the best run blocking guards in the league, really good on the 2nd level on the move blocks.

Arguably he is a better run blocker than pass blocker but is good at both. 

Is he elite though? Nope. Easily better though than Dockery and some of the guards we’ve had in recent years.  Tre Johnson in his heyday might have been comparable as a run blocker.

Worth 18 million? Nope. Only guard IMO worth that is Q. Nelson. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Scherff gets limited respect for his play here. He is one of the best guards in the league when healthy. There is no denying that. The problem I have with him is he cant stay healthy. The best of the best are not only great players. But they stay on the field. Scherff has missed 20 career games. And paying 18 million for a one year rental at that price is ridiculous. Especially with the glut of guards on the FA market. But as I said. There is no denying the guy has game. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Dockery was probably a superior run blocker. Scherrf just seems like one of those guys who's good at a lot of things, but not great at any.

To the contrary, I have always felt that Scherff's strength was in his run-blocking.

If anything about him was un-extraordinary, it would be his pass-blocking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Scherff is the team’s first first team All Pro player we’ve had in the Snyder regime since the punter Turk.  All Pro is considered more prestigious than a pro bowl nod.

He is considering one of the best run blocking guards in the league, really good on the 2nd level on the move blocks.

Is he elite though? Nope. Easily better though than Dockery and some of the guards we’ve had in recent years.  Tre Johnson in his heyday might have been comparable as a run blocker.

Has anyone yet added to the conspiracy theory thread for this?  I feel like the league making Scherff All-Pro was just to make us pay more for his services.... ;)

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Dockery was probably a superior run blocker. Scherrf just seems like one of those guys who's good at a lot of things, but not great at any. He's good at pulling and blocking in space. He's good at pass blocking, but has been known to get overwhelmed/pushed back, he good at combo blocks, etc. Given where he was drafted, he should be HOF material and I don't think he is. I don't think he's close.

Uh... Scherff never lead the league in false starts, nor did Scherff play next to Chris Samuels his entire career.

Absolutely no way Dockery was a better run blocker then Scherff. Remember in our offense, we do not really run the football and are generally in the bottom half of the league in attempts. Part of that is that we're usually losing, but we haven't utilized the right side of our line correctly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd generally agree but interestingly PFF actually had him graded slightly higher at pass pro than run blocking last season (81.1. vs 80.1). His PFF grades through the years have been oddly inconsistent when it comes to being better in run blocking vs pass pro. Maybe it's scheme dependent?

Also makes a difference that he's been injured in some of these seasons. That's something I agree with @clskinsfanon with regards to Scherff...the fact that he can't seem to stay healthy is a legit concern. I'm curious how much of the potential disparity between what WFT is willing to offer him for a long term deal and what Scherff and his agent are asking for is due to that.

2015:

Pass Blocking: 68.2
Run Blocking: 73.7

2016:

Pass Blocking: 75.2
Run Blocking: 76.4

2017:

Pass Blocking: 72.3
Run Blocking: 79.1

2018:

Pass Blocking: 84.0
Run Blocking: 64.4

2019:

Pass Blocking: 72.0
Run Blocking: 76.6

2020:

Pass Blocking: 81.8
Run Blocking: 80.1

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think I'm also just in a negative frame of mind when it comes to Scherrf. It bugs me when players make noises about "wanting to end their career here and how they love Washington" and yet you never hear about any movement on their contract and the only deals they are willing to sign are franchise tags. Just seems disingenuous. I don't begrudge a player trying to net the biggest payday they can, but don't pretend otherwise at the same time.

In no way do I believe those two are mutually exclusive. Just ask Dak.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The only guard worth that (and a hell of a lot more -- like $40M) is Stephen Curry. 😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

To the contrary, I have always felt that Scherff's strength was in his run-blocking.

If anything about him was un-extraordinary, it would be his pass-blocking.

I go to this. Since Scherrf was drafted, we've been a horrible 3rd and one or fourth and one team. We're so bad that we try end arounds. We try passing. We almost never would go and pound the back straight up the middle down the guard's back. Certainly not during the Gruden years.

Now, you can blame that on the back. You can blame it on the rest of the line, but we've been a pretty awful running team during Scherrf's run here. Now, I do understand that running successfully is a team effort, but Scherrf is rarely trusted to plow his guy forward one inch. 

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan mentioned that the Rams probably figure out something funky with the cap and sign Golladay. Cooley goes if so the Rams go to the SB.

Ah...god ole lazy speculation. Got to love it! Golladay has played for the Lions. Lions had Stafford. Stafford now on the Rams. So Golladay must go to the Rams. Brilliant!

Oh, I forgot to mention the Rams are $30 million over the cap and currently have two WRs taking up the 4th and 5th biggest salary cap spots on their roster.  And they really need an ILB. And an edge rusher. And a center. And a Corner. And more Offensive linemen. But, by all means, let's sign another WR for funsies! Cause, you know, they used to be teammates!

Reminds me how Washington seems to automatically get linked to anyone that played for Carolina or has any remote connection to Martin Mayhew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Ah...god ole lazy speculation. Got to love it! Golladay has played for the Lions. Lions had Stafford. Stafford now on the Rams. So Golladay must go to the Rams. Brilliant!

Oh, I forgot to mention the Rams are $30 million over the cap and currently have two WRs taking up the 4th and 5th biggest salary cap spots on their roster.  And they really need an ILB. And an edge rusher. And a center. And a Corner. And more Offensive linemen. But, by all means, let's sign another WR for funsies! Cause, you know, they used to be teammates!

Reminds me how Washington seems to automatically get linked to anyone that played for Carolina or has any remote connection to Martin Mayhew. 

I mean...we are talking about the same team that now doesn't have a 1st round pick for...the next 3 drafts, I think? If there was ever a team in "win now" mode, it's the Rams. So who knows what the hell is else is rattling around in their heads at the moment.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I agree with Cooley that Golladay seems out of our range/league.  He’s gonna take a look at our current QB crop, and probably say “no thanks”, and end up signing with the Rams.  Our range of WR options probably consists of Corey Davis/Curtis Samuel.

Golladay to the Rams would kinda make sense given that he clearly has a good connection with Stafford. That being said...I have no clue how on earth they'd manage to sign him, given how in the red they are cap-wise already.

For us, I'm guessing we'll probably have to settle for a 2nd or 3rd tier FA WR, given our completely up-in-the-air QB situation. I know that money talks in general, but I still have a hard time seeing the top FA WRs looking at our QB roster and being anything but uneasy.

We might get lucky and land Corey Davis but I'm guessing he'll also have multiple other suitors. I guess it just depends on how much they're willing to empty their wallet for a guy.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

:ols:

Rivera: "You should come play here. I promise you that Taylor Heinicke will be your QB."

Golladay: "Great.........."

Rivera: "....."

Golladay: "....."

Rivera: "You have no idea who he is, do you?"

Golladay: "None."

if Golladay doesn't know who Taylor Heineken is now, he either didn't watch the GOAT play his first ever playoff game for an NFC team or he found a way to huff propofol while watching it.  Either way, I'd be concerned.