Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, carex said:

presumably vet minimum, and all the tenders must be higher than vet minimum

Yep RFA tag can end up being $2M+. So many guys in the league never make it past their rookie contracts and that tag year is their one chance at a real payday

On another note, I am still not getting the Samuel love. Given that we all know this may be the deepest draft ever for slot receiver types and we should have great options in round 2 and 3, can someone explain why we should spend $8M+ a year on Samuel? Who wouldn't take one of Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Shi Smith, Tylan Wallace or Demetric Felton in rd 3 over that?

Edited by method man
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wow I just read that they are interested in bringing back DJ at a lower rate.

The dude was just on a rookie contract that he signed as a UDFA !

How much lower than that, can you go ?

They must really think lowly, lowly of him.

Good news, if he doesn't return, is that it will force them to find a legit returner.

DJ had a $750K salary last year.  The lowest RFA tender they could sign him to I believe is $2.1M.  Probably didn't feel he was worth tripling his salary.   

6 minutes ago, drowland said:

DJ had a $750K salary last year.  The lowest RFA tender they could sign him to I believe is $2.1M.  Probably didn't feel he was worth tripling his salary.   

I understand. But what startled me, is that I thought that the article stated that they wanted to offer him less than his previous salary, which of course, was extremely low.

But I probably misread it, and they likely meant 'less than the RFA tender'.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Think I’d rather risk giving Riley Reiff a 2 or 3 year deal and plugging him in at LT. Probably come at a third of the cost and won’t require a premium draft pick as well to get him.

I gotta think that KC has put in a call to Reiff's agent.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wow I just read that they are interested in bringing back DJ at a lower rate.

The dude was just on a rookie contract that he signed as a UDFA !

How much lower than that, can you go ?

They must really think lowly, lowly of him.

Good news, if he doesn't return, is that it will force them to find a legit returner.

DJ who? DeSean Jackson? Daniel Jones? DJ Swearinger? DJ Wright? DJ Williams? DJ Reader?

Edit: Ahh, Danny Johnson. That DJ.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Milano is a surprise.  The Bills supposedly were going to let him go. 

Makes more competition for Jayon Brown now.   Wonder if we have our eye on Walker whom you profiled and mentioned the other day?

Edited by RWJ
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dyst said:

Might as well get your mindset on the notion that we have to draft our way to relevance and honestly that’s the best way to go. Big name free agents have no reason to come here if money is equal.

The only reason they would is if we offered a great work environment and the opportunity to get paid after game 17 (or they're from the Dee-Em-Vee and want to go home).

33 minutes ago, method man said:

On another note, I am still not getting the Samuel love. Given that we all know this may be the deepest draft ever for slot receiver types and we should have great options in round 2 and 3, can someone explain why we should spend $8M+ a year on Samuel? Who wouldn't take one of Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Shi Smith, Tylan Wallace or Demetric Felton in rd 3 over that?

Samuel is versatile and played outside a lot in Carolina - not just the slot.  He's fast (ran a 4.31 forty) and Scott Turner and Ron are familiar with him and already know different ways they can use him.  I agree with your premise that while we need help at receiver we should not over pay for a slot receiver given the talent in the draft (there are a number of other names you can add to that list you created) but I don't think anyone is suggesting adding Samuel simply to play him in the slot.  He's fast, can stretch the field for us, can be used in creative ways, and will likely be cheaper than the Golladay and Juju's of free agency.   All things considered I would take Golladay over Samuel but picking up Samuel to pair opposite of Terry would be a big improvement for the team.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

The only reason they would is if we offered a great work environment and the opportunity to get paid after game 17 (or they're from the Dee-Em-Vee and want to go home).

Yea and even those guys will be the 3rd tier type like we signed last year, which is fine because they produced but I doubt major players would entertain this team “yet” if the money is on par.

Most of the guys in the league now, only know this team as a dysfunctional joke. Pretty much none of them were around for the 80s run.

There have been a lot of surprise re-signings of players the past couple days. Guys that the team said they would let move to FA then came back and signed.

How come WFT can't resign 2 guys the want to resign.

Are they being cheap or are they offering market value but wearing the heart on their sleeve about wanting to resign and getting taken advantage of? 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Meh.. I’d rather take a shot on Zaven Collins rather than spend money on a linebacker in free agency anyways. 

I've pushed for Zaven Collins on the draft thread among others.  Yet, I am with Rivera's mindset as he expressed in his press conference, he hates being boxed in to take a position in the draft.   If we have to take Zaven Collins in the draft because we have a gaping hole at that spot for me its yuck as much as I like the player.  I want flexibility. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Holcomb may be the only starting LB on our roster. I'm thinking we'll need to sign a free agent in addition to drafting a potential starter.

Need a weakside and MLB IMO.  Just like we need two receivers.  I am guessing 1 in FA and 1 in the draft.  I'd hate leaving it completely to the draft.  Some say the mark of a losing team is relying on FA. I agree.  But I also think an even bigger mark of a losing team is drafting according to need. Rivera alluded to that point in his press conference.

My favorite example of drafting to need was when we took Carlos Rodgers and the build up to that draft was Gibbs saying we needed a corner.  So we get Rodgers and Dallas drafts Demarcus Ware some picks later.  IMO draft BPA within reason. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wright is one of my favorite players period. The only reason Wright hasn't been on my list and I tried to ignore David was age....goes against what RR has been saying he is looking for. Wright would be great on a short contract but has he slowed? 

I have liked Brown over Milano all along. Alexander is another legit guy if healthy as he returns from injury.

I like Wilson after that then Avery

Still need more than one LB.

Need at least of the above and at least one top 2'3 rounds in the draft. Would love Zaven 1st or Cox 2nd plus any one of the above guys.

It sucks the options are dwindling instead of expanding as cuts occur

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Meh.. I’d rather take a shot on Zaven Collins rather than spend money on a linebacker in free agency anyways. 

What if Zaven isn't there?  What if your top rated linebackers are gone by 19 but a quality left tackle is there?  Do you skip over the left tackle and reach for a lower tier linebacker because of need?  Grabbing Zaven in the draft would be great but linebacker is too big of a need to just leave it for the draft and hope it works out.  Especially when we are sitting on cap space.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, DWinzit said:

Wright is one of my favorite players period. The only reason Wright hasn't been on my list and I tried to ignore David was age....goes against what RR has been saying he is looking for. Wright would be great on a short contract but has he slowed? 

He has one of his best seasons last year so I don't think he's slowed yet.

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I have liked Brown over Milano all along. Alexander is another legit guy if healthy as he returns from injury.

I was around the same on both Brown and Milano but I just got to that point recently.  I was listening to a PFF guy explain in detail on a podcast how Milano is overrated.  Conversly, heard a Titans reporter hype the heck out of Brown.  So maybe its the recency effect with me.  😀

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Need at least of the above and at least one top 2'3 rounds in the draft. Would love Zaven 1st or Cox 2nd plus any one of the above guys.

It sucks the options are dwindling instead of expanding as cuts occur

I like Zaven.  I am ok with Cox.  But I am not going in married to anyone.  We can't IMO bank on a position in the draft early on.  You got to let the board play out.  What happens for example if we can get a good LT at 19 and lets say a WR in the 2nd.  And lets say we get a surprise drop in the 3rd at TE lets say Tremble or Jordan, etc -- IMO you let the board play out.  I hate the idea of saying heck we got to take Zaven Collins or Jamin Davis in the first no matter who else is at that pick or if not then we got to take Werner or Bolton or Cox if they land in the 2nd even if a player we love more like lets say Elijah Moore lands at that spot  Or whatever permutation.  I think you got to be open to anything IMO. 

• Like 1