Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

33 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

They have until July to get a deal done though. So to say “they couldn’t get a deal done” if they have plenty of time still, is odd 

They’ve had 2 years in a sense. So they have had plenty of time. Either the offer is low or he doesn’t really want to be here unless they over pay him.

15 minutes ago, max21 said:

If we pay 18 for Scherff and he gets injured this year, I may fight my grandmother 

Your Granny saw that post bro...

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, dyst said:

They’ve had 2 years in a sense. So they have had plenty of time. Either the offer is low or he doesn’t really want to be here unless they over pay him.

Or they're finalizing a LTD...Or tagging and trading...Or just want to see if he can stay healthy.  Just sayin'.

• Haha 6

51 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

A quick question for you fellow Washington fanatics, could it be that Rivera has got a trade on offer for Sherff?. I am still puzzled as to why we would pay Sherff 18m for 1 season. 

I've thought about this when trying to make sense of the decision to use the franchise tag.  Not so much could we have a trade offer on the table but maybe the team is willing to let Scherff walk but not without some compensation in return (even if its something like a 2022 3rd rounder - something in return is better than nothing).  But I don't think that's the case.  It's a year where lots of teams are cash strapped and there are a number of good guards available in free agency so it makes less sense to give up draft picks for a guard who is going to reset the market.  So franchising Scherff in hopes of a trade would be very risky.  My guess is that they couldn't reach a deal on guaranteed money.  I find it hard to believe that the team took a hard line stance and said "we won't pay you more than $13-14 million a year and we will not reset the guard market but because you won't agree to that number we will give you $18 million (fully guaranteed) for the year."  If you're willing to give him $18 on a franchise tag you're willing to give him $15 a year and reset the market.  The hold up is likely guaranteed money or length of the deal.  That being said - I think using the franchise tag was a bad move and I think its unlikely Scherff changes whatever position they found unacceptable and agrees to a long term deal.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Your Granny saw that post bro...

giphy.gif

Or they're finalizing a LTD...Or tagging and trading...Or just want to see if he can stay healthy.  Just sayin'.

Don’t be ridiculous. Can only be what I said because I’m right.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dyst said:

Don’t be ridiculous. Can only be what I said because I’m right.

Dude she's already on the train.

giphy.gif

Obviously she knos he already got tagged for 18M and knows he'll get hurt again....She already made it to the woods man!

giphy.gif

Edited by TheShredder
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm curious to if anyone here...on this site has the credentials to be the manager of this team..this nfl team from Washington..wherever it's from..have you applied for the job?

No, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Lavonte david is off my wish list...so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this here nfl team I just follow and have followed scince I was a kid picks up the next best lb available...i hope they also get a veteran wr to pair up with terry Mclaurin...with the team putting the tag on Brandon scherff it means he will come back and play another year..if he breaks a leg week 1 and is out for the year than so be it...if he mauls his way to all pro honors and helps this team win than so be it...that's cool..I sure as **** won't stress on what the teams paying him..I'm having a ****ed of a time keeping my own bill's paid with mechanical issues on vehicles 3 teenagers and what have ya to worry about what my favorite football team is spending on football players ? ?...Mariota or Fitzgerald top tier lb and wr and I'm good..thanks for the hard work sip.

Edited by bakedtater1

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We must sign Jonnu!

With only 2-3 top players heavily targeted he makes more sense than almost any one else. He is the right age, size, speed and has all the talents. He assists the OL while opening up the play book for Turner and becoming the best friend of a young QB for years.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Boo. We resigned Kyle Allen. So I guess the plan is him as the starter and hinike as a the back up?  I sorta doubt you’d resign allen if you were planning on a QB in the first or second round.

He only makes about $850,000 for a year; less than half of TH’s deal.  A cheap investment for a backup.  We will have another QB in camp that probably cost more than both of them combined.  With his knowledge of the offense it’s a pretty good cheap deal to keep him around.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, evmiii said:

He only makes about $850,000 for a year; less than half of TH’s deal.  A cheap investment for a backup.  We will have another QB in camp that probably cost more than both of them combined.  With his knowledge of the offense it’s a pretty good cheap deal to keep him around.

Exactly.  If we happen to get lucky in the draft and take a QB, you can always cut him if you’ve also signed a FA.  We cut Sean Davis after signing him last year. I do think if we have Allen and Heinicke on the roster, you have to carry a third.

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Exactly.  If we happen to get lucky in the draft and take a QB, you can always cut him if you’ve also signed a FA.  We cut Sean Davis after signing him last year. I do think if we have Allen and Heinicke on the roster, you have to carry a third.

I agree, and I think it needs to be a veteran....someone who can come in and lead a team that knows the league. Be it Fitz, Dalton, Cam or Minshew....someone who RR knows won't be a deer in headlights if called upon. 

I am actually really starting to like the idea of Minshew....his career TD's/Int numbers are very good, especially considering the team he's on. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree, and I think it needs to be a veteran....someone who can come in and lead a team that knows the league. Be it Fitz, Dalton, Cam or Minshew....someone who RR knows won't be a deer in headlights if called upon. 

I am actually really starting to like the idea of Minshew....his career TD's/Int numbers are very good, especially considering the team he's on. 

I like Minshew as well.  He's been talked about here but very little.  Mariota (when released) and Fitzpatrick are the talk of the town in DC right now. 

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Boo. We resigned Kyle Allen. So I guess the plan is him as the starter and hinike as a the back up?  I sorta doubt you’d resign allen if you were planning on a QB in the first or second round.

I think the plan is to have those two as dirt cheap insurance policies.

We will likely be looking at a number of QBs over the course of the offseason, but in the event we cant do much in the QB market, we at least have multiple fall back options secured before FA even starts. That both gives us some piece of mind and limits potential desperation and panic moves.

These two don't stop you from making further moves at the QB spot as they cost next to nothing. If you do pick up a veteran or a rookie, we are in a good place to run with 3 QBs. If you pick up a veteran and a rookie, you can run all offseason with 4 and then cut one of the two during roster cuts for essentially a slap on the wrist to the cap.

If we come out of this offseason with a Allen/Taylor camp battle, it will likely be because we were unable to acquire our targets, not from lack of trying.

We already took a swing at stafford, if any above replacement level QB comes available, I'd expect us to be right there.

• Like 1

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/10/nfl-mailbag-dallas-cowboys-expectations-dak-prescott

From Matt Tesorero (@MattTesorero): If top three guys get tagged who will Washington look to at WR?

Matt, we now know the score here—Tampa Bay’s Chris Godwin and Chicago’s Allen Robinson are off the market, and Detroit’s Kenny Golladay is headed for the market. And I do think in a lot of ways the bigger-bodied Golladay would be an interesting fit to play opposite Terry McLaurin in Washington. (The one thing about Golladay that has to be taken into account, while we’re here, is that since he doesn’t separate like some other receivers, he’ll fit better with some quarterbacks than others, and we’re not sure who Washington’s will be.)

The other name I’d give you, and my loyal readers have been down this road with me before, is Curtis Samuel. The Swiss Army knife of a skill player played for Ron Rivera and Scott Turner in Carolina, and he really fits what Turner has looked for in skill players—the type of guy with positional flexibility to play all over the formation. In fact, in the same way Antonio Gibson is a back who can play receiver, Samuel’s a wideout who can play tailback.

Also, fun fact: Samuel and McLaurin were in the same recruiting class at Ohio State.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Dude the guy is RFA so you tender him without a doubt.  It would be dumb not to give him the tender regardless if what we do at QB.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to a Titans reporter tout the heck out of what kind of dude Brown is, great locker room guy, etc. 

Would be excited if we targeted Brown as well.  We need help at the MLB position.  So Jonnu and Brown I'd be happy with too. 

• Like 2