Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

56 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I'd put money on Sherff ends up with the Panthers, looks like they are all in on upgrading there OL for 2022.

Ooh, you just reminded me that the Giants really need to upgrade their line.  I wouldn’t be thrilled about facing Scherff twice a year…

(cue the jokes about not having to because of injuries :))

2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Also need a FS. 

I’m betting we re-sign McCain.  Not great, but we could do worse.  Hopefully another year in the system (and getting our DEs back) helps him.

Feel like I’ve heard the FS market could be good this year?  Of course oftentimes that’s the case with a position right up until teams start re-signing guys…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OMacAttack said:

Problem is we will more than likely be picking up FA so it won't come to fruition

Maybe.  But if we get our MLB from a roster cut like Wagner (probably wishful thinking) then I could see us not being big players in FA.  

On an unrelated note, they signed Elder and Jonathan Williams to one year deals.

• Like 2

Much smarter peeps in this thread with more knowledge of players & their value than I have.

I'm just gonna say this: You don't pay people multi-million dollar contracts in the NFL if they aren't game changers. Scherff, while a great G when he's healthy, doesn't make this team better nor is he a game changer.  He doesn't win games - based on his salary. No disrespect to Scherff but no way he should be paid by the WFT to a huge contract.

$18m+? Ugh...give me 2-3 B-/B WRs/LBs/CBs for that money. That would be a game changer for the WFT. Even if they're backups. And no, I don't have any idea who that money would sign....

24 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Much smarter peeps in this thread with more knowledge of players & their value than I have.

I'm just gonna say this: You don't pay people multi-million dollar contracts in the NFL if they aren't game changers. Scherff, while a great G when he's healthy, doesn't make this team better nor is he a game changer.  He doesn't win games - based on his salary. No disrespect to Scherff but no way he should be paid by the WFT to a huge contract.

$18m+? Ugh...give me 2-3 B-/B WRs/LBs/CBs for that money. That would be a game changer for the WFT. Even if they're backups. And no, I don't have any idea who that money would sign....

The fact our record when he's out of the lineup is awful kind of argues against your point. I know there's many other factors but it's kind of eye opening. They are 3-21 without him in the lineup.

However I agree 18m is too much. He wants overpaid. I think we'd all like to see him back since he is a very good player when healthy, but it needs to be on a fair deal for the team.

1 minute ago, OMacAttack said:

The fact our record when he's out of the lineup is awful kind of argues against your point. I know there's many other factors but it's kind of eye opening. They are 3-21 without him in the lineup.

However I agree 18m is too much. He wants overpaid. I think we'd all like to see him back since he is a very good player when healthy, but it needs to be on a fair deal for the team.

I get what you're saying. ****ty backups because the scouts/drafters suck. BUT...there's too many variables in this equation to determine if "Scherff wins games for the WFT when he plays". 

9 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Agreed too many variables including the dropoff in talent from Scherff to his backup. It could be argued we would lose those games even if he played.

This could/will be argued all off season. My belief: an $18m/yr G does not win you a SB. Period. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

This could/will be argued all off season. My belief: an $18m/yr G does not win you a SB. Period. 

A pretty strong argument should be made that such blatant misallocation of resources works directly against the goal of winning a SB under the modern salary cap.

• Like 1

I like Scherff and if he could stay healthy he would be worth investing money into, but if you look at the O-line's performance overall, even when he was out, the coaching staff did a pretty good job getting a lot out of the depth until the injuries just piled up too much and they were on their 4th center.  As much as I would like to see Scherff here for the forseeable future, they might have dodged a bullet by him not agreeing to be the highest paid in the NFL.  

• Thumb up 2

Nah, let Scherrf walk. Scary Terry should be the priority this off-season as well as figuring out who stays on the dline.   If Payne doesn't get extended I'd consider resigning Settle.  Also, Bobby McCain needs a 2 yr extention and we should start thinking about getting Cam Kurl signed long term. 

I'd probably ask Landon about restructuring. Give him some bonus money and reduce his cap hit, he's a beast when used properly.  Then we can try and sign a top free agent middle backer and some good linebacker depth.

Oh and get something done for Andre Carter.  He outplayed his contract and should be back as the return man / slot receiver for the foreseeable future.  

I forgot, please get McKissic signed for another 2 -3 years. Our offense fell off a cliff when he was out. I think I saw a Stat that he's the best 3rd down back in the league. He's dynamic. 

Edited by lovemaskins
  • Thumb up 2

I don't see enough of a drop off from Brandon to Schweitzer to warrant the coin that it will take to resign him long term. Brandon is also about to be on the wrong side of 30 soon, and if he has missed this many games in his 20's, I would argue he wont be missing LESS games in his 30's.

I'd let him walk, extend Terry and do whatever on Gods green earth that you have to to land Bobby Wagner. Outside of QB, I don't think there is a player who would have a larger impact on our team than Wagner.

• Like 4

Letting Scherff walk should be an easy decision. 

Moving on from Collins should also happen unless he cuts his salary by 2/3 .. which he wont. He is older and inj prone as well as a situational player. Davis should take his spot. 

they can find other above average replacements for significantly less

Scherff is a damn good player but the W/L record with vs without him is a bit misleading. We have so few elite players that of course any elite player not playing will cause a big drop off in success. He's still not worth the money he wants. We screwed up by not extending him right away after 2017 or 2018. He's older now and has only suffered more injuries.

In today's NFL, letting guys walk to pursue the most money they can find is just a reality.  As coaches you have to coach up the depth and backups as if they will be the starters soon.  If you look at the O-line, they have 2-3 players besides Scherff that performed well but likely won't command the flashy contract Brandon will, so if you are the front office, you probably take the gamble of letting him walk if it means a higher probability of keeping the other 2-3 guys.

Also, with Rivera saying trading up for a QB might include 1-2 core players, I wonder if that is pointing towards Payne being dangled soon?

21 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I get what you're saying. ****ty backups because the scouts/drafters suck. BUT...there's too many variables in this equation to determine if "Scherff wins games for the WFT when he plays". 

well, how often has Scherff actually been the ONLY important player we've been missing

On 1/11/2022 at 2:38 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I am guessing the same.  It felt like the gloves are off -- Schreff should stop with the over the top BS about how badly he wants to be here

I agree, and stop saying that you're leaving it to your agent to work out the details and come to an agreement. Did you see what TJ Watt did this year....he took less than his agent advised because he knew the money he was being offered was insane and he just wants to play football and receive fair compensation. Screw Scherff....go sign with the NYG and we'll see you next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think The Scherff thing is a little like the Cousins thing a bit. Like how much $ do you need? He’s made what 35-50 Million up to this point and the difference in $ would be like 10-15M more over the life of the contract. At some point its about what will make you happiest, staying in a place to see things thru or starting over for for 3-4 M more per year. It’s on him. Make a last really fair offer and move on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think The Scherff thing is a little like the Cousins thing a bit. Like how much $ do you need? He’s made what 35-50 Million up to this point and the difference in $ would be like 10-15M more over the life of the contract. At some point its about what will make you happiest, staying in a place to see things thru or starting over for for 3-4 M more per year. It’s on him. Make a last really fair offer and move on. 

I think you're right that's it's like the Cousins thing in that both players publicly say they want to be here but privately are telling their agents they want to be somewhere else, preferably a contender. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I think you're right that's it's like the Cousins thing in that both players publicly say they want to be here but privately are telling their agents they want to be somewhere else, preferably a contender. 

Let em go. We made the offer that would have let him retire in B&G and he chose against signing it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1